Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Innovating An Outside Area

hi all i was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas to make our outside play more interesting we usually have a focus activity outside but want to make it more exciting for the children. any help greatly appreciated

Hi we were fortunate enough to have recieved a grant which has enabled us to purchase a massive canopy, a gorgeous wooden house, a sand pit/staging and a BIG climbing tower. The children love them all, but they still love the deep tray full of conkers, the circle of logs (for sitting, stepping ,rolling) and the area of garden where they can just dig, (we sometimes put "treasure" in there) Natural resources are always popular and cost little or nothing to provide. Having said that there is a lot of grant money around at the moment for improving outside play, you need to provide a project plan and estimates etc. your ECA will give you all the information.

Good luck

Squirrel

Hi squirrel is correct all LA have been given money towards making outside areas better and ICT equipment its a capital grant that is especially for those reasons

Steph

I did ask our LA but they denied there's any money! Does anyone have any more detailed information so I can press the LA further?

Edited by Guest

I did ask our LA but they denied there's any money! Does anyone have any more detailed information so I can press the LA further?

same here- no-one at our school seems to have any knowledge of this.

I thought it was just for groups in the private, voluntary and independent sector? Could be wrong: haven't had the details of ours yet! :o

Maz

• 2 weeks later...

I seems to depend on which Local Authority you come under as to who they allocate it to.

Google, 'Early years capital grant' you may be lucky :o

we are just submitting a project for this grant, our outside area would be transformed should we be able to get it . our authority sent forms out to us we are a pvi pre-school on a school site.

sue

We applied for the capital grant and were told very few people are actually aware it is available

"Eligible expenditure includes:

• equipment to ensure that practitioners can effectively observe and capture children’s progress – digital cameras, scanners and video recorders, laptop and desktop PCs
  • information and communication technology – laptop and desktop PCs, digital cameras, video and sound recorders, hi-fi equipment
  • provision of stimulating and accessible outdoor play space and equipment – this includes the purchase of land to be developed for this purpose1
  • development of adequate indoor space for age-appropriate play activities and suitable rest areas
  • replenishing and replacing toy stocks and purchasing other learning and development materials and resources to support the EYFS
  • resources to encourage a rich and stimulating language environment in line with Letters and Sounds – musical instruments, tape recorders, CDs as well as books, rhymes and signs

Capital Grant

Can someone just let me know what a pvi school is? Just want to know if our school is eligible for this grant as I've never heard of it before. Thanks

Can someone just let me know what a pvi school is? Just want to know if our school is eligible for this grant as I've never heard of it before. Thanks

I teach in the maintained sector and we have been able to access the grant for a whole range of equipment.

Outdoor Classroom

Sail shade

IWB

Digital cameras

Light station

Musical instruments

Art Area

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)