Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pariamentary Report On Early Years Education

Steve

Hi all -

For those of you too busy (!) to get to other pages on the site I just wanted to point you towards the FS News page, where we've got a couple of new items, including last weeks new report on the state of early years education from the Public Accounts committee, with a link through to the full report. It makes interesting reading, so if you've got time, print it off! :)

You can find it here.

I've read it (well skimmed it) It seems to be saying that the government recognise the need for more provision and that staff need more pay, but it doesnt say how that is to happen, except that Local authorities will have to have a role. It relies on the tax credit system as a source of funding for parents to access childcare provision, but this is often only a fraction of the fee's in full a day nursery. The report also says that the minimum wage was a major factor in the increase of fee's, swings and roundabouts...the government wants affordable childcare but has a minimum wage which providers are being forced to pay. While minimum wage is very welcome, it will be more effective in closing some provisions than tackling low wages. One point ,3.19 states that inspections were received positvely by providers, who in general find them fair and efficient. I can only presume this came from Ofsted's own report on itself. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)