Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

My Planning

Hi,

I am new to the forum this week and have been reading loads of your wonderful comments and ideas and figured who better to take a look at what i am doing to see if i am doing it right!

I am an NQT and new to Nursery and i havent had any formal EYFS training so i am kind of planning with a blind fold on for i have no idea how i am supposed to be laying it out!

Would someone please have a look at it for me and tell me what they think?

We are attached to a school and are 26 place. We are doing the flexible entitlement so have the children for 3 hours each session. We do not have free flow access to the outdoor area. We have to do 3 a day texts and i try to get circle time. singing and snack in every day as well as letters and sounds...

I do a whole class input of Letters and Sounds every day and then one group of about 3 children per day gets to have a 5 min small input with a named adult

(The colour codes on the plan are for my TAs so each one knows where they should be and what they should be doing!)

Here goes!

Thank you!

Provision_example.doc

Objectives_example.doc

Weekly_Plan.doc

Golly.

I work in a nursery and would not want to knock anyones way of doing anything.....

I think you have to do what ultimately suits your setting and your children.

However, from the weekly plan I just peeked at it sounds RIGID and in my opinion WAY too structured.

I think there has to be routines but not that regimented.

I don't think I want to say anymore as I really don't want to come on here and knock anyones confidence.

Sorry.

Hi Tinkalink and welcome. Thank you for making your first post.

You look as if you are doing a lot of planning and are well organised. Do you find it useful?

Your planning should be flexible and personal. I cant advise on EYFS planning as I have had no training either and have now moved to year 1.

I think you are probably showing what you need to, as a school nursery you probably have different demands made on you to the PVI settings.

Hopefully someone else will be along soon.

It is very well structured - but then I guess if you have 26 children and a teacher plus a TA then you do need to structure your day. :(

I am in pre-school so I can't really comment on the way you organise your day - but I'm guessing it is working for you? As Scarlettangel says, that's the most important thing. There are a lot of different short activities - but then you have an hour for provision activities (is this free play?) and then 45 minutes outdoors. I get the feeling that your personal style is to make detailed plans so that you know exactly who is where at any given time and that can be a great confidence boost.

The question I would ask do you generally stick closely to the plans, or are you able to go with the flow sometimes and deviate from your planned session? So long as your timetabling doesn't hamper children's (and adults') creativity and prevent them following their own interests then the planning will support the learning

You have some great activities in your area plan - might have to steal a few of those! :o. If it were me I would find a way of linking the provision planning to the objectives so that it would be very clear to everyone which objectives relate to which area - that would help with observations too, I think.

I have to say that if you have had no EYFS training at all you should probably ask when you're going to get some! Although it seems to me you have all the bases covered!

Welcome to the Forum, Tinkalink. I hope I haven't been overly critical - these are just the ramblings of a pre-schooler. I'm sure the feedback from nursery teachers will be more useful. xD

Maz

PS I like the fact that your provision areas are the same for the whole week: I think it gives children time to develop their thinking and learning and grapple with concepts and ideas which is not always possible when activities change every day. But as I say I'm just a pre-schooler - perhaps I'd think differently if I was in 'big school'!

Just wanted to welcome you and echo that it looks great as long as it is all flexible and allows for spontaneous planning you will probably keep tweaking with the reflection and evaluation. :oxD:(

Hi Tinkalink

As others have said, you have obviously worked very hard on the plans for your children, although I would agree it seems quite rigid to me. I work in a PVI full daycare setting, with mostly 2 - 5 year olds. I love the choices of books you have and the clapping rhymes. You have also taken care to make sure the support staff are with you and that you are making the most of letters and sounds. However,..... the beauty of EYFS is the requirement to follow children's individual leads and I wonder how you would feel if a child were to bring into the setting.... a bird's nest, or a certificate to show that they had completed a walk for charity, or told you the whole family was moving to South America. Would you be prepared to ditch the plans and go with the children? These are all wonderful startpoints for child initiated learning, which, judging by the very precise timings on your plans, might not be able to be accommodated, and you would therefore miss the children's lead. There would still be opportunities to incorporate the counting, or the literature you had planned, but would make it more appropriate to their situations.

Also, we are not free flow at my setting, but there is no reason not to take books into the garden/playground and look at them there. Books like Peepo would lend themselves to being read outdoors, in fact any of the things you have planned could be transferred outdoors. EYFS requires that we give equal balance to outdoor provision, which is a challenge if you do not have free flow like many purpose built settings, but it is not insurmountable.

Good luck!

Lesley :o

Welcome to the forum Tinkalink!!

I am an NQT and new to Nursery and i havent had any formal EYFS training so i am kind of planning with a blind fold on for i have no idea how i am supposed to be laying it out!

I know just how you feel, but I have had training and have worked with preschool for 9 years!! It is all as clear as mud!! :o

It's not the actual content as much as the way i am setting it out and organising my day that i am wondering about. My support staff are fab and they are fine with the content.

I just want to know if i am trying to fit too much in / am i supposed to do more detailed planning, less detailed planning.... just feel a bit lost

You're planning is for you and should be manageable, flexible and usable. It is also a working document and should/ could be amended to reflect what you do.

Can you show how you respond to the children's interests?

You may need to ask for guidance from your school as your head may need to see specific elements. You should also have an advisor you can call upon.

Well i've been at the school for 6 weeks now and our planning goes on our intranet and no one has commented badly or otherwise about it so i don't even know if anyone else has looked at it! I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing - probably a bad thing cos it means i'm not getting feedback as and NQT...

Funnily enough i am getting observed by our adviser soon - i will maybe ask her about it all. I feel like my planning is m ore of a timetable for my support staff really i guess... I need to put the actual content in a more manageable format dont i so that i can amend it daily...

I'm so confused!

Thanks for your time by the way!

Hey I was feeling bad about my earlier post.

I think the planning looks to me more like that of a reception class.

Very precise, prescriptive and obviously well thought out.

It seemed every moment was planned.........

It seemed to lack the spontaneity that I would expect of a nursery plan

In our nursery, also 26 place we have one focused activity every day, but sometimes we don't get to it!

We do have access to outdoors constantly so no set times for heading out.

We have a simple routine..........

All together on our carpeted area with a book whilst everyone arrives,

and then a little time together maybe on a story or a chat about news.......

or what we might do that day etc

"Free" play until tidy time

Then back together to see how the session has gone, give out stuff to take home, ryhmes, story etc.

Tuck is free flow.

We have simple planning which shows continuous provision (found on this site somewhere!!) and then a daily focus sheet and a weekly sheet with an over view of what we are doing on top of the continuous stuff.

We like the children to take the lead, and more often than not the day goes way off in a direction different to the one we had in mind!!!!!

I know different LA's have different views about planning and no one type is right, but maybe in a partnership group you could look at some other planning from nurseries?

Again though if it is working for the children does it matter exactly what the planning looks like?

Thank you all very much for you advice and expertise!

The planning looks rigid mostly cos i have other adults who need to know what theyre doing and when theyre doing it - need being the operative word - i guess thats where the timetabled look comes from. I do abandon planning if things unexpectedly take a turn and feel i am pretty flexible in that respect...

The things that are keeping me timetabled rigidly are the 3 a day text which i am required to do on the school's say so... and then i feel i SHOULD be doing circle time every day (is that right??) and singing and counting??? Also as you can see, we attend quite few assemblies which are timetabled... i don't necessarily agree with nursery attending so many but that's out if my hands. Also we have a timetabled PE slot.... so i kinda have to be quite rigid to a certain extent.

I really do want to have more time for the children to self initiate their day but feel i am tied to so many things... HELP!

weekly_focus_sheet_6_oct.doc

Monday_6_oct_08_FS_morning_planning.doc

focused_activity_sheet_for_estimating_and_counting_pennies_on_playground_markings_1_.doc

Hi, looks to me that you have worked very hard to set this all up, and it seems that you are getting very little support at school. nursery children do not need to attend assemblies. i have argued very strongly for our reception children not to attend assembly and they only attend once a week. nursery children are not ready to sit for long periods in assembly. I do not think you need circle time every day either but this is a matter of choice and depends on your group. last year it took so long for me to get the whole group on the carpet at the same time it became a joke. i dont think you need to plan for circle time just use an incident that has happened ie jane was really sad when she came to school today because.., what makes you feel sad?

Emphasis in EYFS is play, indoors and outdoors, if you have access to outdoors and have balls, hoops, ring games, cars, bikes, climbing frame, or anything similar you can teach physical skills outside without the need for a PE slot.

We try to give our children as many choices as possible. we are fortunate to have a lot of space because we work as a foundation stage unit with the nursery and 2 reception classes together so we can share facilities.

I have tried lots of different formats of planning and am always trying to simplify but still give my staff guidance. will try and attach some examples that may be of help.

Good luck, ask for help wherever you can!

Lorraine

Thank you very much for this.

I'm going to see another nursery next week in my NQT time so hopefully the teacher will be able to share her planning formats with me as well. I just feel like i can't do what i need to do cos of the constraints ive got.

Maybe i will start reading one of the stories in outdoor playtime, and do what you said and request that we just cover the PD in the outdoor area on a daily basis instead of having a set PE time. I have to admit, i dont know of any other nurseries where they go into the hall for formal PE.

As for the assemblies, i dont know what to do... I might speak to my adviser next week cos she is coming in to observe me. I just wanted to try and get everything right before she comes! And my poor support staff - they are constantly having to put up with me changing stuff but i am new to it all and trying to see what works best.

Eeek!

Hey I was feeling bad about my earlier post.

I think the planning looks to me more like that of a reception class.

Very precise, prescriptive and obviously well thought out.

It seemed every moment was planned.........

It seemed to lack the spontaneity that I would expect of a nursery plan

In our nursery, also 26 place we have one focused activity every day, but sometimes we don't get to it!

We do have access to outdoors constantly so no set times for heading out.

We have a simple routine..........

All together on our carpeted area with a book whilst everyone arrives,

and then a little time together maybe on a story or a chat about news.......

or what we might do that day etc

"Free" play until tidy time

Then back together to see how the session has gone, give out stuff to take home, ryhmes, story etc.

Tuck is free flow.

We have simple planning which shows continuous provision (found on this site somewhere!!) and then a daily focus sheet and a weekly sheet with an over view of what we are doing on top of the continuous stuff.

We like the children to take the lead, and more often than not the day goes way off in a direction different to the one we had in mind!!!!!

I know different LA's have different views about planning and no one type is right, but maybe in a partnership group you could look at some other planning from nurseries?

Again though if it is working for the children does it matter exactly what the planning looks like?

Hi

I have to say I agree with scarlett angel. It seems like every moment that the child is with you there is something going on even down to what songs you will be singing at a particular time (what if they want to sing peter bangs with one hammer instead?)- what if a particular child doesn't fancy doing one of the activities set out are the free to go off and find something else to do - you must remember too that children must have access to child accessible storage and be able to go off an make decisions for themselves. The EYFS focusses on being very child led and so if they activity that we have got out isn't either being utilised or going to plan we will often change it even if this is half way through the session. Where on your plans did it show your next steps planning for the children?

I do think it is bad they haven't given you any training yet perhaps you should get intouch with your LA to see if someone can come out and give you an overview.

My understanding of the EYFS is that it is extremely child orientated planning is fluid and if an activity isn't going according to plan then change it and make a note of what you did somewhere. Its about children being independent and making choices having free play for most of the session where they are able to spend time and perservere at a chosen activity.

Have noted what you said about language and literacy for your three a day text

our day goes like this - registration 5 to 10 mins, free play hour 45 mins, carpet time for stories language and literacy 10 mins snack time 15 mins, cirlce time 15 mins home time - all of these times are approximate and some get abandoned if we are running late.

Out of interest why do your staff need to be told where they need to be? I never ever tell my staff where they should be going as I expect them to be looking around the room and seeing what areas are requiring support for themselves I don't know whether this is how other people work but I rarely tell my staff what areas of the room to be in I just let them judge for themselves

I hope that helps

Deb

H there Tinkalink, and welcome to the forum.

I have had a quick glance over your planning so I have a few things to suggest.

First can you enlighten us as to what the 3 a day text is, you mentioned that its a requirement of the school but what are you expected to do in this time?

It apears to me that you have a lot of activities that are literacy led, and I know you are trying to fir in everything every day. But, you can combine things. For example your letters and sounds time can BE your rhyme time (they dont have to be separate sessions ver day). Likewsie it can also be your circle time, ie your circle time can have a listening focus. Therefore you dont have to have 3 separate sessions. You also dont have to do letters and sounds activities as a whole class, they can be done i small groups by each adult, thus leaving your activity time free of L and S groups.

I may have missed it in your plannng but it seems that snack occurs at the very end of the session? Tis is quite late if you consider chidlren may have had breakfast at 8 or even earlier, or may nt have had anything at all.. they will be very hungery by 10ish if not sooner. I dont know if you have a rolling snack time that Ive missed? One thing you can consider is having snack in the middle of the session and combine that with your circle time/key person time, so that you dont have such a long sitting time at the start of the session.

Another quick qestion, how many chidlren and adults have you got?

It is good that you are getting your adviser out to see you, even thought its an obseravtin, hopefully they will have constructive advice fr you too. But you should also have a mentor who shoud be supporting you with this? You should also have non contact time, are you getting that?

Sorry to be asking lost of questions, but it gives us a chacne to visualise your setting and your routine. One more...are your staff experinced, ad have you asked for theuir views on your structure?

One last thing...do give yourself time to settle in, its hard enough being an NQT when you just have yoursefl to manage, to have other saff to manage as well is hard, so please dont be too hard to yourself.

nice to see your advice mundia, whats non contact time? oh sorry you mean my days off!

I have to agree about the advice given however I also see how the EYFS can get so full on if you listen to every piece if advice especially from schools

our school wanted me to do profile training but we have no children that would require this ours are much smaller, our last inspection wanted us to do tick sheets an advisor wanted us to do no together time just free play at all times. we have 1 small room a miniscule outside area so we have to change furniture etc for more physical play.

it is very easy to try to try to please everyone

I think it would be a good idea to do a bit of networking and visit other settings that are similar to gain and share knowledge of good practice I intend to do that to look at snack time so I get a feel for what will work for us.

we are new to using the childrens play to give us our planning and aprehencive it is brill and not so tight

in a rush spelling terrible sorry

sue

One last thing...do give yourself time to settle in, its hard enough being an NQT when you just have yoursefl to manage, to have other saff to manage as well is hard, so please dont be too hard to yourself.

Good advice as always from mundia. xD Asking for advice is ok but you don't have to use it if it doesn't make sense to you or doesn't fit with your setting, children and the adults you work with. Is the planning just down to you or do your TAs get involved? If they don't then that might be a good way of getting some input from those who are working alongside you (and if you can delegate some of the work then so much the better! :o ).

You seem to be a very reflective practitioner - anyone who is brave enough to put their planning on here for us all to pick apart is obviously genuinely concerned to improve outcomes for children and do the best job they can. I'll bet you're an asset to your school!

Maz

Hi! I will try to answer all your questions!!

I have had a quick glance over your planning so I have a few things to suggest.

First can you enlighten us as to what the 3 a day text is, you mentioned that its a requirement of the school but what are you expected to do in this time?

I have to read the children 3 stories a day basically. It's supposed to be 5 a day but they have changed it to 3 a day for nursery, Reception get 4 a day

It apears to me that you have a lot of activities that are literacy led, and I know you are trying to fir in everything every day. But, you can come things. For example your letters and sounds time can BE your rhyme time (they dont have to be separate sessions ver day). Likewsie it can also be your circle time, ie your circle time can have a listening focus. Therefore you dont have to have 3 separate sessions. You also dont have to do letters and sounds activities as a whole class, they can be done i small groups by each adult, thus leaving your activity time free of L and S groups.

This is something i have thought about myself but wasn't sure - i kinda felt like i SHOULD be doing circle time every day otherwise i'd be doing the children a disservice if you get me.

I may have missed it in your plannng but it seems that snack occurs at the very end of the session? Tis is quite late if you consider chidlren may have had breakfast at 8 or even earlier, or may nt have had anything at all.. they will be very hungery by 10ish if not sooner. I dont know if you have a rolling snack time that Ive missed? One thing you can consider is having snack in the middle of the session and combine that with your circle time/key person time, so that you dont have such a long sitting time at the start of the session.

I don't put snack time on my plan. We have a snack table which the children can access independently all session with fruit and toast on. Milk is the only thing we have at the end of the session whilst i try to fit 2 stories in - which isnt ideal cos theyre all slurping and messing with straws and tired by that time!

Another quick qestion, how many chidlren and adults have you got?

At the moment i have 18 in the morning and 15 in the afternoon but we admit children all year as soon as they are 3. We have room for 26 each session. As for adults, i have one full timer, 2 who work half the week each and then one who works half a day mon to thurs. So basically there is always 3 of us, but sometimes 4.

It is good that you are getting your adviser out to see you, even thought its an obseravtin, hopefully they will have constructive advice fr you too. But you should also have a mentor who shoud be supporting you with this? You should also have non contact time, are you getting that?

Sorry to be asking lost of questions, but it gives us a chacne to visualise your setting and your routine.

I do have a mentor - she is acting head at the moment cos we are getting a new head after christmas. There are also 2 other NQTs in school. I have formally met with mentor once since i started 6 weeks ago. I haven't been observed yet, and my first observation is going to be the one from my Adviser and classed as my NQT observation... im not too sure that's allowed cos i am sure it has to be done by school staff...

I do have my NQT time and my PPA time altho it took a few weeks for them to sort out my NQT time

One more...are your staff experinced, ad have you asked for theuir views on your structure?

My support staff: My full timer is level 2, the 2 that work half a day each are level 3 and the part time one is a general assisstant. My full timer has worked in nursery for YEARS, the other two have come back to nursery after working further up the school. They are all brilliant at what they do but all lack confidence i think - they like to know where they are and what they are doing hence the 'timetable' and even when the timetable is there they get confused or forget to look at it bless them

I do know i is very timetabled but i am very flexible and do abandon things if they dont work and i do go with what the children are doing. I guess i can see how it looks like i am not flexible and that i am too rigid looking at my plan... i would much prefer to let the children access the areas all day than go to assembly or PE. I will certainly take on board your adive about the circle time and letters and sounds cos that is the thing that i was pondering about. So you think its ok for them not to have circle time every day?

In a reply to the post above yours... as for the singing - the ones that are named there are counting rhymes cos i was aware i wasnt doing much PSRN in my whole class time and it was an opportunity to break up the carpet time in the morning. We have an extra singing session in the day where we either do sticky kids (which incorporates PD) or i get my guitar out and the children choose songs to sing so i am not stifling them there.

I have forgotten what else the previous poster asked so im going to go try answer some more questions now!! Thank you all so much for your help!!

Tink! :o x

nice to see your advice mundia, whats non contact time? oh sorry you mean my days off!

sue

Know that feeling well Sue! NQTs are entitled to a half day each week for professional development, which may be courses, time with mentor, visits to other schools or other colleagues etc. It isnt time out, catch up time or extar planning time, it must havea purpose. Some schools don't give it, but it is an entitlement of the NQT year and I would personally always urge any NQT to speak to their Head if they are not getting it.

Is the planning just down to you or do your TAs get involved? If they don't then that might be a good way of getting some input from those who are working alongside you (and if you can delegate some of the work then so much the better! :o ).

Hi, thanks for your post Maz!

We TRY to sit round on a Wednesday afternoon with the next weeks planning and go over ideas together - but it is so so so so so so rushed at lunchtime that its usually 5 mins between slurping scalding hot tea and soup whilst trying to tidy and set up for the next kids coming in, and keeping an eye on the one or two children whose parents have nt come for them yet! Half an hour lunchtime is NOT ENOUGH!! Ha! sorry - that's my rant over with... but it is something we are all finding very difficult! But yeh, back to your question, i involve my TAs in all my planning and always ask for their comments / ideas. I always ask for them to tell me if something isnt working and i value very much what they have to say. We work fantastically together - i am very lucky!

You seem to be a very reflective practitioner - anyone who is brave enough to put their planning on here for us all to pick apart is obviously genuinely concerned to improve outcomes for children and do the best job they can. I'll bet you're an asset to your school!

That is such a kind thing to say :) Thank you so much - i do always try to improve on what i am doing. It's all i have ever wanted to do and it took me a bloomin long time to get here so i want to make sure im good at my job! So all your comments are gratefully received!

Thank you!

Tink! xD x

Tinkalnk we crossed posts.

Thankyou for a comprehensive reply, I am beginning to see the picture now.

Regarding the circle time, you can still have circle time every day if you want to, but some days it could also be your letters and sounds so on your planning you may write

Circle time: letters and sounds aspect..whatever.

Likewise with rhymes and songs.

Circle time: keeping a steady beat (for example).

I didnt ever do circle time every day as a planned activity. I always preferred snack time as my 'circle time' but left the agenda open for the children. This was out chatting time if you like, were we built up all the PSE and listening sklls through 'chat'. (my head never liked the fact that I liked to call it time to chat as she never saw the point, but I protected it with my life as I really believed it was importnat for teh chidlren!). That worked well for me but wouldnt work for everyone. I then timetabled just one planned circle time on a theme each week. I also had lots of thngs I had to do..ERIC; assemblies; ICT suite; PE etc etc so I do know how difficult it can be, but I also fought longand hard not to have all these prescritpive things thrown in all the time as it isnt my style.

I have to say I agree with scarlett angel. It seems like every moment that the child is with you there is something going on even down to what songs you will be singing at a particular time (what if they want to sing peter bangs with one hammer instead?)- what if a particular child doesn't fancy doing one of the activities set out are the free to go off and find something else to do - you must remember too that children must have access to child accessible storage and be able to go off an make decisions for themselves.

Hi and thank you for your input!!

The songs that i have written on my plan are specifically for their counting and action content cos i was aware a couple of weeks ago that i wasnt doing much PSRN with the whole class. So it is literally 2 mins of counting rhymes to break up the morinng carpet session. The singing we do later in the day is where the children are free to choose what songs they want to sing and i get my guitar out!

I never force a child to do an adult directed / initiated activity if they don't want to and i never pull a child away from something if they are engrossed. I always invite them and if they come they come, if they dont they don't. We are a bit limited in the way of space and having a load of accessibly resources out because we use a Sure Start centre for the main bulk of the provision areas. We sometimes have to come out of there for the Sure Start to use it. My continuous provision is freely accessible and the children have an hour to access it every day. I would like it to be more but i feel at the momet i have so much other stuff to fit in. And the fact we have to be in assembly and PE etc at certain times, the timetabled look seems to be the only way i can see of doing it...

Where on your plans did it show your next steps planning for the children?

Yeh i am aware now that i need to have a space somewhere on my planning to write stuff like that after watching what the children are interested in... Do you plan daily then? Do you plan a skeleton of ideas and then see what the children want to do and change you plans for the next day? Do you all do this as a team or is it you who does it and your staff have to get to grips with it when they come in the next day? And what about resources? Do you just hunt for them the next day to suit what the children want to do? I am trying so hard to get my head round this i'm spinnning!! Hee!

I do think it is bad they haven't given you any training yet perhaps you should get intouch with your LA to see if someone can come out and give you an overview.

Yeh i am going to ask my advisor if there is any more LA training on it. I did request that i went on one at the start of the year and emailed my FS Leader a list of stuff i wanted to go on and she never got back to me - partly my fault for not nagging her but i was very new and didnt like to nag ppl i didnt really know... wuss arent i!

My understanding of the EYFS is that it is extremely child orientated planning is fluid and if an activity isn't going according to plan then change it and make a note of what you did somewhere. Its about children being independent and making choices having free play for most of the session where they are able to spend time and perservere at a chosen activity.

I totally agree and i need to make my planning more of a working document and go with the flow more but not sure how to do it when we have to be here there and everywhere, and read three stories and do singing and circle time (altho maybe i don't need to do that every day and can incorporate it into my L&S like - cant remember her name oops - said...)

Have noted what you said about language and literacy for your three a day text

our day goes like this - registration 5 to 10 mins, free play hour 45 mins, carpet time for stories language and literacy 10 mins snack time 15 mins, cirlce time 15 mins home time - all of these times are approximate and some get abandoned if we are running late.

Well our day isnt much different in content really - we have an hour indoor free play and 45 min outdoor (well, at least we do on sessions where there is no assembly or PE!) then stories, letters and sounds milk and circle time all last 10 - 25 mins each i guess... its just that i have it timetabled so my staff can see what's going on. Im new to nursery, and im new to them, my planning is new to them and so is EYFS so i am trying to put into a format so they know what to do and where we need to be, and i try to break up my day so that they are not sitting for more than 10 mins at a time - thats where the timetabled look comes from i spose... i guess i just need to have space on the plan to be flexible with the planning for the next day... still not sure how one manages that yet... do you set it all up after school every night ready for the next day? Or am i reading too much into it? Is there not that much to change as far as provision goes? do you leave that as it is and just change your activities to suit what the children have been interested in? - Sorry for all my questions!!!

Out of interest why do your staff need to be told where they need to be? I never ever tell my staff where they should be going as I expect them to be looking around the room and seeing what areas are requiring support for themselves I don't know whether this is how other people work but I rarely tell my staff what areas of the room to be in I just let them judge for themselves

They like to know where they are, plus one of my TAs has to go out at certain times to do BLAST with my children and Reception and she does phonics with reception every day so i need to know as much as they do whats going on and who is where. She is also the main first aider for school so if she is taken out in an emergency, all she needs to do when she comes back is look at the plan to see where she needs to be. And i try to plan observations in every day so that we actually sit and do long observations cos we have to have one on each child per half term.

It did help cos its made me think about how and why i do it like i do and also think aobut how i can better it! Food for thought!!

Thank you!!

Regarding the circle time, you can still have circle time every day if you want to, but some days it could also be your letters and sounds so on your planning you may write

Circle time: letters and sounds aspect..whatever.

Likewise with rhymes and songs.

Circle time: keeping a steady beat (for example).

I didnt ever do circle time every day as a planned activity. I always preferred snack time as my 'circle time' but left the agenda open for the children. This was out chatting time if you like, were we built up all the PSE and listening sklls through 'chat'. (my head never liked the fact that I liked to call it time to chat as she never saw the point, but I protected it with my life as I really believed it was importnat for teh chidlren!). That worked well for me but wouldnt work for everyone. I then timetabled just one planned circle time on a theme each week.

I totally love that idea! And i am going to go away and change my planning to reflect what you have just said because i think its super. I agree with chat being a very important thing and i did actually have milk time as chat time when i first started but things just made it harder! Thank you so much for this! It is going to save me lots of time :o

I also had lots of thngs I had to do..ERIC; assemblies; ICT suite; PE etc etc so I do know how difficult it can be, but I also fought longand hard not to have all these prescritpive things thrown in all the time as it isnt my style.

i wish i had the confidence to fight against everything i am prescribed to do cos i dont beleive in it either and it certainly isnt my style! But cos i am an NQT and my contract isnt permanent i feel i need to bite my tongue and do what i need to do for now. I will feel much braver when i have been there longer and got to know my superiors a bit better if you get me!

Thank you so much Mundia

Tink! xD x

I have just realised i didn't explain the 3 a day stories very well.... it is 3 stories that you repeat through the week so the children get to know them and are familiar with repeated refrains etc. So you read the same 3 stories every day for a week.

Can't remember who asked me what it was! Sorry!

You are most welcome tink, I think I saw a 'light bulb' moment there?

It was me asking about the 3 stories thing, thank you for explaining!

You are right about being an NQT, you do have to fit in with what is expected of you, but I am also wondering where your FS coordinator is in all this, could they be fighting that corner for you?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)