Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic Nursery Rhyme

Lorna

Hi

Thinking about planning for next half term!!! :o

Our topic is going to be nursey rhymes - I have lots of literacy based ideas.... but my inspiration at present ends there. xD

Any ideas for things to do especially KUW would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lorna

Oooo, thats what we're doing next term. I havent even begun to think about ideas so will be watching this space!!!!!!!!!!!! How about building the wall for humpty dumpty using wooden blocks and flour and water, making and using pulleys for ding, dong dell, making a garden for mary mary quite contrary, ..............needs more thought. :D

We had a wonderful pack of resources for Reception Geography (possibly History) pre FS days but very usable, published by Folens in my old school.

I always had them as extension ideas and don't have it on any planning per se but will try and remember to look it out.

You can do so much with Nursery Rhymes and simple maps.

Hali, do you think you could send me a copy of your medium term plans as we are also looking to do nursery rhymes next half term. I would be really grateful for either an email or a link on here. Many thanks Jo x

Humpty - how can you stop him from getting hurt? - test different materials using hard boiled eggs.

- how could we mend Humpty?

- cooking eggs in different ways (check egg allergies!

Incy Wincy - try different materials - which will keep Teddy dry?

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe - look at similarities and differences in different types of sandals/shoes/boots/wellies/gym shoes - name them, which would be suitable for different occasions. How many 'children' (Compare Bears) can you fit in their gym shoes, compare to your trainers or the biggest and smallest. Make some broth (tasting veg before cooking) and look how the vegetables change once cooked.

Jack and Jill - talk about past when people didn't have taps (possibly talk about countries where they still get water from wells). Try making a wind-up well. Provide guttering, buckets, syphon tubes and any other resources and let the children experiment with moving water from one place to another (best if this can be done outside :D )

Humpty - drop a real egg from a wall and talk about what happens (or is this a bit sick :o ) Cook eggs in a variety of ways.

General one - make a picture graph of their favourite nursery rhymes.

Ask parents and grandparents what their favourite nursery rhymes were when they were children. Also, do they know any that aren't so popular now.

I'm sure there are loads more ideas ... this topic sounds like fun. Good luck.

Harricroft

My topic for next half term is the same! Some super ideas on here, can I add mine - the lazy way to get ideas - I bought Practical Pre-School publication - Planning for Learning through Nursery rhymes - ISBN 1 902438302 and there are some very good suggestions in here. It's cheap too - about £6.50 I think. Lots of KUW stuff. At this very hectic time of year I make no apologies for not re-nventing the wheel - we all work hard enough!

Thanks for that, Hali. Wonderful ideas and a great layout - simple yet covering so much! I am taking a break from childcare for now but will keep your planning sheet somewhere safe for future guidance ....................... just in case. :o

Thanks Hali, :D some fantastic ideas there - unfortunately I'm not doing nursery rhymes other than as an element of literacy, though I might incorporate some of these ideas into activities when doing our literacy. It almost makes me want to change my topic ...................

Harricroft

Just a couple of ideas we have used ..

Queen of Hearts...we made jam tarts and visited a local bakers, connections to our surroundings etc.

Oranges and lemons...we did lots of tasting, sweet and sour...our senses type activities.

I've picked up lots of great ideas from you all. Thanks ! :D

Good link tinyone. I've been on this site before but had forgotten about it. I've just printed off some of the nursery rhyme posters for my reading corner. At least it will fill a display board until I manage to get some of the children's own 'work' on. :D

Thanks a lot.

Harricroft

Hey thanks too Hali, im doing nursery rhymes after the october break too and you have some great ideas! Whilst on this subject, does anyone have any ideas they could share on the theme of 'shopping'. Also, what do you all do in your role play area for nursery rhyme topic? :o

Role play area has been;

1. dressing up as nusrey rhyme characters,

2. picniic area for miss muffet,

3. doctors surgery for Jack 'n' Jill,

4. toy shop for solcdiers,

5. workshop for clocks (Hickory dickory)

6. a vet surgery for sheep and other farm animals

:D:D:D:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)