Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Walt And Wilf

I know that WALT and WILF have been mentioned recently in the Success Criteria thread, but I'm beginning to get desparate. We have just been told that we've got to put WALT (What are we learning to do) and WILF (What I'm looking for) on our planning sheet - I have spent all Saturday staring at a blank planning sheet because I just don't understand what I'm supposed to do.

I already put learning objectives on - which are usually stepping stones or ELGs, then the activity, then an assessment or differentiation comment. Is WALT just the ELG put in child speak? and the WILT the success criteria? and, if everything has to be differentiated at three levels, do you need three WILT's :( ....... sorry WILF (WILT is the way I'm feeling) xD

e.g. WALT - to write my name, - a few children can write their name from memory but their letter formation isn't correct - so for them we would be looking at possibly trying to get one of the letters they haven't formed correctly right. Others can copy their name from their name card - so just need repetition/familiarisation and possibly to work on correct letter formation as they go along. Others can barely use a pencil so need loads of mark making activities before they can really be expected to write their name. Is my WALT not appropriate if some children are nowhere near being able to achive it? Also this isn't going to be a one-off, and an advisor told a colleague (Year 2 not FS) that the children should be learning something new every session - this can't be possible in FS surely - our WALT's will need to be repeated regularly before they can be achieved.

Sorry to ramble, but I'm feeling as if I'm going under - and we've only been back at school a week. :o If anyone is using WALT and WILF and can give me some examples of what they do ... I'd be eternally grateful.

Please HELP!!!!!

Harricroft.

Blimey... sorry harricroft never heard of WILF and WALT, what you are saying sounds reasonable, but i could not help, justa sinking heart that yet again more paperwork is coming our way.. good luck im sure in a few months we will all be in the same boat. :o

I am planning on using WALT and WILF, but haven't really thought it out properly yet. I think I will probably use walt for the LO during carpet sessions for lit and numeracy, and wilf for the teacher focus group - but i will let you know when i have it clear. I am an NQT so am trying to sort out my weekly planning format as the school one isn't very good and i need to develop my own.

Chris

:o OH Harricroft! :(

That does sound like a tall order but I think you are on the right track!

WALT is surely the learning objective in child speak and WILF a measure of sucess?

If you keep it really simple while you an dthe children get used to the idea, then perhaps WILF becomes differentiated by outcome?!

SO if as you suggest the children are learning to write their own name (WALT), WILF could be checking pencil grip and control. This then covers all the instances that you describe. And your ELG would be CLL19, using a pencil and holding it effectively etc.

I've not done this like this, so just a suggestion!

But I would get the planning finished in the way that you are comfortable and used to working and then worry about your WALTs and WILFs later, it might even be easier that way!?

Good luck and I hope someone more comfortable with WALT & WILF will look in soon! xD

I think you should see it as just telling children what they are going to be learning and what they will get from it and what you will be checking for at the end. We didn't call it anything but we had A3 laminated cards thoughout the school that we wrote child speak learning outcomes on with dry wipe pens, for focus activities in R and obviously for lessons in 1-6. It helps to contextualise the learning and clues children in to what is expected of them, so I can't see doing an activity or lesson anyway without doing that first ! Sometimes it didn't need to be written so it was orally done instead but Ofsted WILL expect this in some form or another at the start of your sessions and referring back to them during it, ensuring children know what they are about anyway, whatever you call it!!

Where there's a wilt there's a way, I s'pose. :o

Many thanks for the replies so far :( It's really nice to feel there's somewhere to turn when you are feeling panicky - where would we be without this site. xD

Please keep the ideas coming - maybe this will become clearer when I've done it for a while. If I do manage to get it sorted I'll let you know. :o

Harricroft.

I think Susan is definitely on the right track with this one - the children will often have a broadly similar learning intention, but the differentiation is by outcome. I used WALT and WILF with my Y1 class last year and they had to supply the WILF part, based on knowing what they were going to be learning to do. The idea of WALT and WILF comes from Shirley Clarke's book "Unlocking formative assessment" if you want to read more!

Good luck :o

Hi Sue!

Shirley Clarke's books are always readable! Have just been on a YR/Y1 transition course today (Surrey) and have been recommended 2 more books:

"Enriching feedback in the primary classroom" by Shirley Clarke (ISBN 0340872586) and "Observing and assessing for the Foundation Stage profile" by Vicky Hutchin and Shirley Clarke (ISBN 0340812125). Must go and check them out...

PS maybe transition should be another thread?

Hi ASPK

I went on the transition course from R/1 last Tuesday in Surrey.

It's a small world isn't it??

The course was good. Both myself and the yr 1 teacher found it very interesting although now we have to go back and relay everything to the rest of the school.

Tibs got run over a while ago Mimi! :o Nice to hear from you - where have you been, or have I just not been paying attention?

ASPK, We reviewed some books in the - um, books page - a while ago. Two by Vicky Hutchin and another called Smooth transitions by Sally Featherstone and Ros Bayley. you can find them here if they are of any help.

:)

Thanks for the link Beau. I'm not sure how useful it will be for me yet - I'll have to peruse and ponder a while, but I'll pass it on to our Y3 teacher who will be most grateful. :D

Harricroft

Hi everyone, :o

My school uses WALT and WILF throughout the school which I translate as:

WALT: Learning Objective / Intention.

WILF: Success Criteria i.e. did they acheive x,y, or z today?

However I would argue that in a foundation stage classroom i.e. Reception children are going to be 'learning' 101 different things depending on what they are doing!xD So having one 'class WILF' doesn't work the same as say in a YR 2 History lesson. (However Literacy/Numeracy sessions later on in the year may have a class WILF)

What I tend to do is have a landscape A3 laminated sheet in each of my 'areas' in the classroom with a printed 'today in the creative area We Are Learning To' (not that all things children are learning is neccesarlily about 'doing'!) and then dry wipe marker on the day's learning intention - this indicates to both adults and the children about what they are learning about for that day. this also aids assessmnt because practitioners can straight away look for the success criteria (I also have a box to prompt key words that practitioners might use in the activity)

Hope this helps

:) Ladybug

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)