Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who Is Right?

Hi everyone!

I've got a query regarding including a student who is on a long term placement in the setting all the time aged 17 being counted into the ratios. Under the EYFS it states we can include her in the ratio (she is paid not a volunteer), However, the Ofsted requirements state that only a person aged 18 or over can be included in the ratios.

Would welcome clarification on this!

Hi,

well cant wait to see the replies you get. Its an interesting one is this. We have a student who is doing level 3 and its her first year and she was counted in within the staffing ratio when we had a member of staff off last week. I thought though i had read it that as from sept all staff had to be qualified level 3. Yet when a child needed changing after wetting themself i was told she was not allowed to do this as she wasnt qualified!

INTERESTING :o 0258

The EYFS is (or is it are, neither read right) the Ofsted requirements.. or have I missed something? we use the 17 rule as it is in there , but tend not to have students long enough.

And where does it say all staff have to be qualified to level 3 from September.. mine does not say that only that managers and supervisors have to be and 50% of other staff to minimum of level 2 .. (May Edition) Am i yet again missing something?

Easiest clarification.. ring Ofsted! and if lucky you will not get the usual non committal reply to look at EYFS.

Inge

Hi,

well cant wait to see the replies you get. Its an interesting one is this. We have a student who is doing level 3 and its her first year and she was counted in within the staffing ratio when we had a member of staff off last week. I thought though i had read it that as from sept all staff had to be qualified level 3. Yet when a child needed changing after wetting themself i was told she was not allowed to do this as she wasnt qualified!

INTERESTING :o 0258

Hi

Dont know about the who is right bit afraid...i had read the EYFS and saw that bit about students. As for all staff being level 3 I think that is incorrect. I was under the impression that the supervisor had to be level 3 and that half of the remaining staff had to be qualified (EYFS framework). I also thought this about all staff being qualified was an aim they were trying to go for in the next few years. Could be wrong in which case I should be out of job (no qualifications in childcare ).

As for not being qualified to change a child who told you this? I would think so long as you are CRB checked then it would be ok as otherwise there would only be two staff in our place that could do it!! Surely it doesnt need qualifications for this? xD