Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Communication Friendly Spaces

I know there was a discussion and a link to the teachers TV bit on this but I wondered if anyone has implemented some CFS's. I am thinking of researching the effects for my 3rd year dissertation. I have in my setting but wondered if anyone else has. I also got the pack. Was anyone else inspired enough to put this into practice?

Hi everyone,

Is it just because it is friday evening that I can't see a BA topic section or is it because it doesnt excist?

I would like to ask if anyone has implented a communication friendly space after watching the very inspiring teachers TV link which was posted on here a little while back.

I would like to research this area for my 3rd year dissertation. I have so far not had any luck in locating any literature with the exception of the pack produce by the basic skills agency, written by Elizabeth Jarmen.

Has anyone else taken the plunge and made some little nooks that provide children with a secure feeling which allows them to talk freely?

Thank you

Is it just because it is friday evening that I can't see a BA topic section or is it because it doesnt excist?

No, not your problem - it really doesn't exist. Steve obviously didn't think we had such brainy people on the forum. :o I'll get in touch with someone with the expertise and power and get them to set one up for you!

WOW just for me!! LOL

Well you're clearly a person of worth, Wendles!

I can't help you at all I'm afraid - but it does sound a fascinating area to research. Good luck - and don't forget to keep posting in your new forum area to let us know how things are progressing!

Maz

I haven't used CFS as yet but I do know someone who has in her setting. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to ask her on your behalf and pass on the responses.

Thanks Holly35

When I have defined my question can I PM you? I am just at the beginning of the module and have not whittled it down yet.

By all means PM me! I have to say I was initially interested in the whole CFS when my colleague started to talk about it but never got around to ordering the pack. I was then discussing things about it with her the other day and wondered if our setting really needed to look at it that much, but I might be oversimplifying things, so I would be interested in acting as a go between so I can discover more!

I did also email Elizabeth Jarman from the CFS site not knowing it was her personally. I was very impressed to not only get a reply from her but very quickly on a Sunday evening too (I like people who work all hours like me!). I was asking for purchasing information but as she was so quick off the mark and friendly it might be worth bearing in mind as she might be able to supply some information for you. The pack, for anyone interested, was £10 if I remember correctly.

It is worth knowing that Elizabeth Jarmen will respond to an email, I will need to work on defining what exactly I want to find from my research first. I need to narrow my question to be quite specific.

I was going to do a pilot to ask just that question Maz. I was also ging to ask how many knew about the basic skills agency which is where I got my pack from.

I was really inspired by the dvd, which is also the same as what was teachers TV. I also have around 85% of children who have english as an additional language which can cause many different problems with CLL.

I will hopefully come up with my proposal for my project this weekend. I have unitl the 27th of April but I also have to write 12 - 14,000 words!! :o

I am more than happy to trade with you Maz!

I have looked at E Jarmens website and of course she has pulished on the subject. I did searches using her name and came up with nothing, using the titles of the books has resulted in them popping up everywhere! However I think she is probably the only one.

It is a useful link to have the website so thank you for pointing that out.

Can I ask if anyone out there knows what a communication friendly space is and how many of you have watched the teachers TV bit about the subject

Have watched the video in fast forward while cooking tea so not properly obviously. One thing I took from it was the idea of making the environment welcoming and comfortable to children from their vantage point. We do have a lot of displays at child height and don't put things up where the children can't see them, except when we really want them kept safe!

We do spend a lot of time sat on the floor in our setting so I feel that in this aspect at least we are quite aware of how the setting looks to the children. The colours of the walls and floor are unfortunately beyond our control.

Being that we have always been the same since I worked in the setting, no. But my colleague who I mentioned earlier in the thread claims to have seen a lot and would be able to give you lots of information about that. Do you want to PM me some questions to forward to her? I am sure she would not mind answering some for you.

I'm having a twilight moment here: I felt sure we'd had a long conversation about CFSs, Elizabeth Jarman and Teachers' TV xD Where have the posts gone? Perhaps it was in another thread? :o

Anyway, Wendles: I just wanted to say thank you for getting my brain working - I've ordered the pack, plus one or two other books that caught my eye (well you have to order enough to make it worth sending a package, don't you? :(

Thanks,

Maz

Hi

I felt inspired wnough to order the pack and have also made alterations to my classroom. I have stopped backing my boards and left the original beige hessian board. The chidlren's work goes straight onto that and it does make the work stand out more as opposed to the bright backing paper. I have created areas for quite conversations both inside and out. Have also thought about which colours would be better in which areas, to create the right atmosphere. Lots of space has been created by chucking out tables and removing things that were hanging down. All in all the room feels more spacious and everyone is noting that.

No Twilight moment Maz - there really were 2 topics so I have merged them to save further confusion!

But then I had another twilight moment when I saw my post at the end of the others I thought I had dreamed up. Nurse! Time for my medication! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)