Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ethical Issues

Hi, I'm just in the process of writing one of my many assignments, i have been at it now for 6 hours and seem to have gone blank. I have to include the ethical issues that need to be considered on a farm visit, all i can think of is pigs and the hindu religion.. am i on the right lines.... can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Ethical issues could also include

Informed consent- ensuring that the children have a say in how they participate this would mean taking account of and respecting children's fears

Respect- Ensuring families/ parents and carers wishes are respected as you said the hindu and pigs but this could also be vegetarian families.

#Another one could be equal opportunities- how can issues be addressed if parents can not afford to send a child on a trip if there is a charge

Hope this helps

There are also the ethical issues around animals, eating animals, how they are cared for and the attitudes to animals from people of different religions, or vegetarians and vegans. A practitioner is likely to know if they have Hindu's, Buddists, Jews, Muslims in a group and therefore would be aware of their concerns. Practitioners need to be aware that children may ask questions which could be difficult to answer in a simple way, such as why we kill animals for food etc.

The moral rights of animals is quite a complex issue, but for young children farms, animals and food is just a fact of life and they will take it at face value. I would include a discussion of this if I were writing your essay.

I would agree with what Jacquie and Belle have said. I would also like to add that such issues may include issues for staff as well as children. I am vegetarian, and I never went on any trip to any farm, partly for ethical/religious reasons and partly for health reasons. I would also decline to go on zoo trips.

Such decisions can create logistical issues during the planning process, both in terms of the trip itself and also any follow up that is planned afterwards.

I think your essay will be really interesting.

Thanks for all your advice... you have given me alot of ideas of where to go with this... thankyou...you are all stars....might need a larger word count now :o

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all your advice... you have given me alot of ideas of where to go with this... thankyou...you are all stars....might need a larger word count now :o

just thought i would add that cows are considered holy to hindus not pigsxxxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)