Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking Children's Choices

Hi there, I'm new to both the forum and the foundation stage.

Does anyone have a system that they use to monitor the choices the children are making in their self initiated learning? I have made observations but it seems a bit patchy and I think there must be workable ways for the children to record what they have been doing during the day.

Anyone got any suggestions please?

I do know of one nursery that ask the children what they would like to go and play with at the start of the session and record that on a sheet to see any patterns developing - but these children are 3 and 4 and are most are able to communicate verbally.....

Hi Avril and welcome,

In the Highscope approach of plan, do, review, the children learn to record what they are going do in their initial session with their keyworker--sometimes verbally with reference to a selection of activities and later more formally and then it is reviewed against their plans at the end of the session.

Welcome to the Forum, avril!

I went on some training last week by Helen Bilton about outdoor play and she suggested researching how children (and especially adults) move around the outdoor area. Basically its simply a matter of recording exactly where children are at five or ten minute intervals during your free play session. I've been doing it for three days now and I am seeing patterns beginning to observe of where the children choose to be - and which children are flitting around and which are showing clear preferences in their play. I am also noticing which adults are standing by the fence watching, but this is a different matter. :o

I need to design a form to show the results properly (and to help with gathering the evidence!), but so far it has been very useful!

Maz

hello and welcome Avril - sounds interesting Maz!!!! :o

Our pansies died off over the summer in our 2 tyres we use as plant pots - since then the children have been engrossed every session - all session by digging for worms and woodlice - its been a real eye opener for the staff!!!!! xD:(

in our setting, I have made each child a card with their name and a picture on. Each child has 10 cards the same and when they have been t an activity, they leave one in the plastci waller that is put there- like a calling card.

At the end of Nursery, we take the wallets and record onto a grou0p traking sheet who has been where.

Welcome to the Forum, avril!

I went on some training last week by Helen Bilton about outdoor play and she suggested researching how children (and especially adults) move around the outdoor area. Basically its simply a matter of recording exactly where children are at five or ten minute intervals during your free play session. I've been doing it for three days now and I am seeing patterns beginning to observe of where the children choose to be - and which children are flitting around and which are showing clear preferences in their play. I am also noticing which adults are standing by the fence watching, but this is a different matter. :o

I need to design a form to show the results properly (and to help with gathering the evidence!), but so far it has been very useful!

Maz

I'm amused by your observations of the staff! i have a problem with staff volunteering to go outside and i suspect for an easy life - they do look a bit shocked when everything becomes untidy and then tidy up time has to be instigated. i was wondering what you were planning to do about your fence leaners?

hopscotch

We have post it notes to jot down who has done what where and with whom if it is relevant. we then stick them onto an A3 spider web with areas of learning. anything we have adapted or extended is noted on the weekly plan to use for next weeks plan.

I have bought a floor book from mindstretchers but as yet i haven;t worked out how best to use it although i want to. Unfortunately i am in a sessional pre-school in a community hall and every bit of us has to go into the cupboard each day. i'm starting to get VERY bored of this as it's a detriment to the children's exteded learning.

Is anyone else in the same boat??

hopscotch

Hi.

Some great ideas on here.

I have a Reception class with p/t teaching assistant. I have A3 list of names in each learning area (listening area, book corner, water, sand, role play, small world, creative) and the child puts a tick next to their name when they choose an activity. The list stays up all week. Later in the year, I add columns for days of the week and the child has to put a tick under the correct day. At the moment I am reminding children to tick when they go to an area but soon to will become routine.

I can see at a glance, which children haven't been to particular areas or which areas are most popular and plan activities and target children for the following week. This works for me with children aged 4/5.

Hi Avril I am new too, welcome to the site.

In my reception class all of the children have thier picture and name on a card. Every area has a sign and picture above it, and this is copied onto a 'choosing board'. When children move from area to area they move thier card to the area they are in. I haven't thought of a way to record the information but it is easy to see at a glance who is in what area - I can also see patterns and identify children who are not accessing all of the areas.

Hi

Im in a sessional preschool and in a church hall and have to put everything away. Today was a dreadful day - a shambles chiildren had equipment everywhere - I am going to try and section it off with chairs tomorrow and having a hard time with ratios for freeflow indooor and out

smiles

Know how you feel smiles, we are in a church and have to put everything away, we seem to have sooooo many boys who just chuck everything everywhere, we seem to be spending our whole time policing!!!! if you know what i mean?????? Also everyday they get the cars and train set out..... they do the same thing every day, we have added things to it etc, brought in mark making making roads etc... trying to extend learning by their interest... but we are running out of ideas.... we are thinking of taking the cars away and seeing if they choose something else. This has been the case everyday since the start of term.....

It the same with us verything just gets in a muddle and know that we are supposed to allow the children to intermingle the resources but we had our AREA SENCO in today and it was dreadful Ispent the whole session having to police the chidlren. We have fifteen minutes at each end of the session supposedly to be able to put out and put the equipment away and wash the kitchen/toilets floors etc. I am going in at eight and leaving at three some days and getting paid for just three hours and then having to do lots of paperwork at home ! Sorry Im just overloaded.

smiles

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)