Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Spiders

Hi all

This morning as I arrived at school, I was surrounded by spider webs all glistening in the fog and dew. Perfect time to start a topic on spiders and my children couldn't stop looking at and talking about the beautiful webs.

Any ideas for the topic - all or any of the 6 areas would be great.

Thanks so much

We've just had a few days inspired by spiders. The children made spiders in the creative area abnd they are all now stuck/hanging on a big web. They also used playdough to pull out legs on spiders-lots of counting. You could go onto counting 2 spiders legs, 3, etc.

We sang Incy Wincy, I hung up pictures outside near the instruments and children sang and played when looking at the pictures in order.

We emphasised the rhyming words in Incy Wincy.

I put out a couple of bowls of water with sea animals in. They found a crab and a drainpipe, and sang as they poured water down the pipe with a crab in the drainpipe- then they had to work out how to get water back to the top bowl! It was only later that I found the plastic minibeasts but they were happy using a crab as a spider!

Some children got into window washing with the water and tried to work out how to reach the top.

There was lots of observation of spiders using magnifying glasses - we found one that hid waiting for insects to land in the web and then came out each day. When the web or spider was touched it ran back to hide.

We found a couple of non-fiction books about spiders.

We got out our plastic minibeasts in a tray which children decided to sort into families and count.

Some drew spiders webs on the chalkboard outside. Actually most of our spider things happened outside- there were some nice days.

You could sing the rhyme 'one eleohant came out to play unpon a spider's web one day...'; use computer to draw webs, make spider books. You could talk about different people's feelings associated with spiders.

We've just had a few days inspired by spiders. The children made spiders in the creative area abnd they are all now stuck/hanging on a big web. They also used playdough to pull out legs on spiders-lots of counting. You could go onto counting 2 spiders legs, 3, etc.

We sang Incy Wincy, I hung up pictures outside near the instruments and children sang and played when looking at the pictures in order.

We emphasised the rhyming words in Incy Wincy.

I put out a couple of bowls of water with sea animals in. They found a crab and a drainpipe, and sang as they poured water down the pipe with a crab in the drainpipe- then they had to work out how to get water back to the top bowl! It was only later that I found the plastic minibeasts but they were happy using a crab as a spider!

Some children got into window washing with the water and tried to work out how to reach the top.

There was lots of observation of spiders using magnifying glasses - we found one that hid waiting for insects to land in the web and then came out each day. When the web or spider was touched it ran back to hide.

We found a couple of non-fiction books about spiders.

We got out our plastic minibeasts in a tray which children decided to sort into families and count.

Some drew spiders webs on the chalkboard outside. Actually most of our spider things happened outside- there were some nice days.

You could sing the rhyme 'one eleohant came out to play unpon a spider's web one day...'; use computer to draw webs, make spider books. You could talk about different people's feelings associated with spiders.

Wonderful ideas. How old are your children?

children kneel in a circle rolling a ball of wool to each other holding on to the end it can take a few trys to get right but worth it. :o

I've done this too, several times, and the children love it - really good for concentration and PSE. At the end, we also throw a plastice fly into the middle to see if it gets caught! xD

you could make spaggetti websSpaghetti webs with cooked spaghetti painted white and glued onto black card.

Or have the children dip the painted spaghetti into glue and arrange them onto wax paper. When it dries have the children carefully peel the spaghetti off the web and add a spider.

killowengirl

how about if the children use a camera to record the webs/spiders on there is also a british spider web site that has brill photos on and names them etc

I am really scared of spiders so when we discuss them this also includes how we feel about them and other fears.

make a frosty sparkle web by using watered down PVA in a small syringe make your pattern on dark paper then sprinkle with glitter very effective

sue

Also I am using the Sammy Spider books over the next few weeks too for Rosh Hashannah and Sukkot. They are lovely stories about a spider who watches all the goings on in his house.

Saw lots of plastic spiders today in town as Halloween stuff has arrived in the shops.

Edited by Guest

Also I am using the Sammy Spider books over the next few weeks too for Rosh Hashannah and Sukkot. They are lovely stories about a spider who watches all the goings on in his house.

Saw lots of plastic spiders today in town as Halloween stuff has arrived in the shops.

How do those books tie in with the Jewish festivals?

Can I just show my ignorance/denseness? (ooh I think I've just invented a new word! xD ).

How do you paint cooked spaghetti? I am feeling bereft of all creative thought this evening! :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)