Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Software For 3 And 4 Year Olds

I'm looking to buy some new computer software for use by 3 and 4 year olds in a pre-school setting and wonder whether anyone can suggest anything they have found to be particularly good for this age group?

Also we have a laptop and was wondering whether it is worth buying a child friendly lower case keyboard for the children to explore, perhaps using word or something similar.

Any suggestions anyone?

2Simple software is by far the best for this age group. The Infant Video Toolkit gives you a suite of six programs including painting, simple publishing, graphing and control. The 2Create a Story is a great success with my 4 year olds.

Take a look at their website. http://www.2simple.com/

I use quite a lot of sherston software and the at the moment we are using a programme called jelly bods that the children want on all the time. The gigglebies is another one they love

Hi

YOu need to software by Q and Multimedia. It is great for 3 - 4 year olds as they packages are so easy to use and need no introduction. They have

Beep / and Beep Beep for developing mouse control with some great activities

Noisy Things and Mini Musical Monsters - links to Creative Development

Number Run - to introduce numbers 1 - 10

Dog and Cat Early literacy - with traditional tale stories with follow up activities such as odd one out, colour the picture, jigsaws and sequences

And a new disk for Phase 1 phonics is out shortly with more fun activities to support children picking up the skill at Phase 1 in Letters and Sounds.

Please feel free to email me for further information and the person to contact

Edited by Guest
To remove email address

Thanks Tricky 7 I will try these.

Of the software that I have trialled so far and I have to say that there is some very good stuff and very bad stuff out there. My favourite to date is Tizzy's Busy Week for children developing their mouse skills. The bad ones - I don't want to mention names - but watch out for software that I think blocks children's creative thinking skills - I have come across software that only allows children to 'colour in' a picture using the exact colour scheme of a small template - and if they dare to stray they from the rather boring and uninspriting (and not even realistic) template colours they are told "WRONG TRY AGAIN" by an extremely annoying green caterpillar!! I was outraged that a supposed educational software company should be selling something like this (they tell us that this package will develop children's creativity) - and it wasn't the only example like that!

Always worth a forum search..software programmes

this is the link from most recent discussion.. there are more... we use Pink Cow and have free trial periods of software.. works well and we know if it is suitable for our children and setting...

Inge

Same as you Inge, Pink Cow and a very popular one for us at the moment is Monkeys, Ducks and Frogs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)