Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Exit Interviews!

I have just had a useful meeting with my PDW. She has said I need a exit interview sheet for staff who are leaving/left to fill in.

The PLA have updated our "Aiming for Quality"scheme and these two bullet points have been added.

"Exit interviews are held when staff resign to appreciate the reasons for their leaving."

"The reasons for the resignation of staff are analysed and steps are taken to address any shortcomings identified."

Has anyone got such a form or any idea what I should put in it, apart from why did you leave of course :o

Thanks in advance for your help.

Blimey, havent we got enough paperwork? This hasnt been mentioned to us ..yet! The last two staff members that left my setting wanted/needed more money and thats the one 'shortcoming' we couldnt address anyway. :D

Hi Gizzy -

I agree with Rea really - apart from anything else, exit interviews are traditionally intended for large organisations with a dedicated Human Resources department, so they can analyse their staff retention problems. Most nursery settings are not large organisations...

However, it's better to go with the flow I guess! :) We don't have an exit interview procedure, but I found this web page which you'll hopefully find useful. I guess the thing to do is look at the questions they recommend asking, then draw up a form to capture the answers you're given when you conduct the interview.

And Rea, I was interested to see in a PANN (Professional Association of Nursery Nurses) press releases today, that they are calling for government subsidy of nurseries, specifically to allow the critical issue of low pay for FS Practitioners to be addressed...

Hi Gizzy .... I remember being told this when someone came to drum up more support for the scheme. Went down like a ton of lead bricks I can tell you & I didn't sign up for the scheme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you go into google & type in 'Exit Interview Questionnaire' quite a few come up which you could adapt and there's also a policy to go with it ( to add to your collection!!!!!!)

Janice :o

Rea,

I'm with you on this one. :) As a small playgroup it's usually pretty obvious why someones leaving and I don't think any of us need more paperwork. :o Its probably a good idea to know why someone is leaving and try to address any problems but this could be something which is just included in your usual assessment process, surely? xD

By the way Gizzy, how are things looking for you at the moment? :)

Yes Gizzy, how are things? Are you managing to stay open now?

And Steve...Thanks for the info on PANN. I read about it on the BBC site. Wanna bet we'll have to do another course for more money!!! :o

:(:( :wacko: :o

Rea, are you meaning to keep us all in stitches at your antics or are you after Sue Rs title for 'Most inept with the computer'!! xD :rolleyes: :(xD

I'm always logged in automatically so I don't have to remember to do it. :)

Beau, This is the natural 'me'. Past behaviour on the site has been exemplory, but it was so much effort I couldn't keep it up. But no, Sue R is quite welcome to keep her crown, I can be inept in so many other areas that I can afford to be generous. :oxD:(

xD:(:(:o

Scandalous!!!

Please don't lumber with more complexes!! Even if they are right! :(

You nearly made me forget what I was going to say!

There's been a discussion about this before, but can't remember where, I'll leave it to the more able (Beau - :wacko: ) to put the link in!

But on the matter of reviewing to identify problems, it can work! I had a horrendous experience with a Manager from hell a while back, in the end leaving in disgust at her appalling management technique and bad practice. Quite a few other staff left thereafter, we were all sent exit questionnaires, I have since found out. Suffice it to say, that manager is no longer working for the company and I was offered my job back. I chose not to accept, couldn't bear to make the same mistake twice!

Sue :D

I most certainly do, clever clogs. :(

But I wish you hadn't done it now, as it's reminded me I have neither found the example or posted it!!!

Thanks anyway. The only thing I CAN do reliably, that, speel! :oxD

Thanks Steve and Bea for the links, I will look at both and hopefullly compile my own exit form. Sue I have a problem similar to yours and want to find a way to approach it!

As for me and life in general. I am fully recovered from my opp and sort of ready for work. After 12 weeks off I really didn't fancy work, but after the first day it felt as if I had never been off!!

We still haven't moved building the hut we hope to go into still only has one loo and a hole in the floor. It looks like we will maybe move in for January. We have to be out of our hall by July 2005 anyway as it is being re built.

We are just about financially viable although you never know what will happen. Fingers crossed for an increase in numbers as we could do with a few more children.

The accreditation is still being done by muggins here and hopefully it will be finished before the end of the year!!!!

At least the threat of closure has eased for now. :) Our playgroup has teetered on the edge the last couple of years but the numbers are quite healthy just at the moment. One more child and the committee have said they will think about taking on an assistant for me. :D:D

• 2 months later...

Hi Sue R,

I have been out of circulation for a while so only just seen your post. I think something is wrong with my computer or more probably me!!! can't get anything when I click on your link. Can you tell me where you got the exit interview from please I need one to add to my files.

Glad to hear the threat of closure is gone from you at last Beau we could still do with a few more children but at least the other nursery near us is in the same position.

Gizzy

Hi Gizzy,

Hope you're Ok - seem to remember you were having an Op., everything go OK??

The Exit Questionnaire was one sent to me after I left a job. If you want to PM me your email, I'll send it to you directly.

Cheers,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Sue. I would love a copy of the exit interview. I will send you my e-mail address by message. The last time I posted my e-mail address on a site it was the beginning of spam!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it is my computer as when I tried to read other links the same thing happened.

Opp went ok and I am fully recovered, work has been a bit difficult lately and will get even worse I am sure as we have a very organised new Chairperson in post, hubby also lost his job and then his dad died. So all in all it has been a very stressful few months I hate to say this but roll on 2005 it can't be any worse, can it?

Thanks Gizzy

P.S Just sent you an e-mail Sue

Oh Gizzy!! :o

You poor girl, that's 2 of us that can't wait for next year! My hip got better, then mum had a stroke! We just got her out of hospital then my hip dislocated!!! Off work again. xD

Have a hug (xx), have sent the Exit questionnaire by return of ether!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)