Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Would You Have Done?

narnia

Ok, here's the scenario:

I was in town today with my daughter.Lovely, very hot day, lots of sunshine.

A woman pulled up in a car next to daughter and i who were waiting for hubby to collect us to go home.the woman sat in the car for maybe ten minutes, with her window wound down and engine running.There was a small baby in a car seat in the rear of the car, and it was in full glare of the sun (no window shade).Anyway, woman then leaves the car, with engine still running..and runs off towards the bank, which she goes into, and stays in there for several minutes.....................baby in the meanwhile was till in the car, alone. When woman returns, i said to her, 'it was rather silly to leave the baby on its own you know..........anything might have happened to her'..........and her response???'mind your own f$*&%$g business you old sleazebag, whats it got to do with you, she was perfectly ok'! Now I'm not one for a fight in general, but, i told her again it was foolish ( I admit i might have actually said 'stupid thing to do'.and the this womans female friend appeared, and told me to b........ off, you're a (and she called me something I'd never actually heard before, but my guess is it wasn't intended as a compliment!!).Anyway, hubby then arrived so I left, after telling this daft pair that the child was probably the most precious thing she'd ever have in her whole life and it was incredibly dangerous to leave her alone like that, and that I would consider calling the police to report her.Now hubby gave me a swift telling off in the car, telling me i should have ignored it and not got involved, and he thinks the woman will probably realise it was daft and not do it again.I think he's dafter than she was!! But, here's the question: what would you have done...............ignored it, or stuck your nose in like I did???

owwww thats a tough one narnia - hate to say this but think it would depend on how i felt at the time (brave or timid!), i do think you were very brave and as your husband says i hope she has thought long and hard about it - well done hun :o

I think you were brave.........

In the day and age we live in I am constantly amazed at the risks people take with their precious children.

Truthfully I am not sure I would have intervened............

Then I would have gone home feeling guilty that I didn't do something.

Her attitude reflected that this was not likely to be a one off or a daft mistake made in a rush or panic like we have all done at some time.

Well done you!!!!

I'm not sure whether I would have said anything or not but hope that I would have done. If I hadn't I would have been terribly ashamed afterwards. I know I would not have left the scene until she returned in case something awful happened to that poor child.

Well done you, let's hope she thinks about it after your intervention, and after all whatever she called you are just words and they don't break bones do they!

I wonder would she have left her car unlocked, engine running if her baby was not in the car, for fear of someone stealing it, I bet she wouldn't. She most probably thought no-one would steal it with a baby in it. :o Well that's if she 'thought' at all.

I think I would have done the same as you, I don't think I'd have been brave enough to say she was foolish or stupid, I may have said something like, 'I've stayed here to look after your baby until you came back, anyone could of stolen the car', or something to that effect.

I would have taken the number plate then possibly would have contacted NSPCC.

I think you did the right thing and that your husband was thinking of you and your daughters welfare.

Peggy

You were definately right to say something and I would have done the same as you. The trouble today is that everyone is so frightened of trouble they ignore things happening under their nose. Sometimes you have to take a risk and open your mouth.

Well done for willing to stand up and be counted!!

I would hope I had the courage to say something.....it depends on my mood as to how I would approach the situation. My hubby would have probably said something aswell! Well done you, although she was rude to you at the time lets hope your words of wisdon will prevent her from doing the same again.

Ok, here's the scenario:

A woman pulled up in a car next to daughter and i who were waiting for hubby to collect us to go home.the woman sat in the car for maybe ten minutes, with her window wound down and engine running.There was a small baby in a car seat in the rear of the car, and it was in full glare of the sun (no window shade).Anyway, woman then leaves the car, with engine still running..and runs off towards the bank, which she goes into, and stays in there for several minutes.....................baby in the meanwhile was till in the car, alone. When woman returns, i said to her, 'it was rather silly to leave the baby on its own you know..........anything might have happened to her'..........and her response???'mind your own f$*&%$g business you old sleazebag, whats it got to do with you, she was perfectly ok'! Now I'm not one for a fight in general, but, i told her again it was foolish ( I admit i might have actually said 'stupid thing to do'.and the this womans female friend appeared, and told me to b........ off, you're a (and she called me something I'd never actually heard before, but my guess is it wasn't intended as a compliment!!).Anyway, hubby then arrived so I left, after telling this daft pair that the child was probably the most precious thing she'd ever have in her whole life and it was incredibly dangerous to leave her alone like that, and that I would consider calling the police to report her.Now hubby gave me a swift telling off in the car, telling me i should have ignored it and not got involved, and he thinks the woman will probably realise it was daft and not do it again.I think he's dafter than she was!! But, here's the question: what would you have done...............ignored it, or stuck your nose in like I did???

Well Done!

I may have said something if I had been feeling brave that day (then would have been told off by my husband as you were). On another day I may not have said anything- just hung around to make sure the baby was safe - then done the ' you're acting like such a selfish and terrible mother ' look.

Very brave I think. I would like to think I would have said something but I'm not sure I would have had the guts. Incidentally in the USA this is a very big no, no. We holiday there often and everytime we do there is a big story about parents who have been prosecuted for doing this, not just when something awful has happened. The weather is often a lot hotter than here but it doesn't even need to be the weather, someone could have just taken the car.

Actually I think you were quite restrained!! What a dangerous thing that woman did and she was so fortunate nothing awful did happen. Its a good job there are people like you (and us) who were only trying to help her see the error of her ways.

A mum told me recently how she had somehow locked her child in the car, think it may have been a hot day. When she phoned the police to ask what she should do she was told that if she would not be able to get to the child within a certain amount of time (think it was 20 minutes but could be wrong) the police would break the window to rescue the child and arrest the mother!

I wouldn't leave my dog in a hot car let alone my child!

Think you did the right thing, although I can understand your husband's concern about your welfare. Like a lot of people, it would have depended on how I felt as to whether I would have had the courage to intervene, probably hang around to make sure the baby was ok too.

I like the suggestion of taking the number plate and advising the police, possibly with a photo of the child in the car! Perhaps a visit from the police would make this person stop and think, I fear that they might not take much notice of you judging by their response!

I do think, as a society we need to say when we think something is not right provided we don't put ourselves in danger of course. The difficulty is in trying to get our message across in a calm assertive manner - not always easy.

The same situation a few years ago..............I was horrified but a little timid to challenge the woman. Found a bobby holding up a wall and set him on her instead. I think he read her the riot act but I didn't stay around long enough for her to find out it was me that reported her.

I think you were right to challange her Narnia...........how else would she have found out what an utterly stupid woman she was (bit strong I know).

Well Done - like you I'd wait by the car but I would phone 999 and report it - the police do take it very seriously.

A parent who made a similar call was contacted by the police less than 2 hours later to update her. They didn't arrive before the car drove off but traced the car registration number.

They'd visited the mum concerned for a little "chat", in full uniform & a fast response car.

They also took her to task for the language she'd used when challenged.

Apparently the look of shock/embarrassment on her face was priceless :o

Bet she's never done it since...

Nona

Ok, here's the scenario:

I think you were brave and i think i would have done the same thing as you Matkat