Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training For New Records Of Achievements

Hi All!!

The nursery that I work in is having the training for the new 'Learning Diaries/Scrapbooks' tonight.

Just wondering if anyone out there has had theirs yet and would like to share with me what was covered briefly.....is it simply a case of sitting and listening or anyway I can prepare for it?

Jellytots

I am in Southampton.... It is from 6:30-9pm tonight and tomorrow night so I think it will cover a lot of ground....will keep you all posted! .... just need a couple of red bulls i think :o

Got our Planning and Assessment training in October.. full day with lunch.. had a quick overview and not much preparation needed for ours.. think I will just take in what we do and see how/if it can be improved on..or what we are missing.. got training on SEF next week too..

Inge

Morning All!

Just thought I would update you with the training that staff at my nursery had last night.

With regards to the Records of Achievements, Southampton are replacing them with a document they are calling 'Learning Stories'. It was highlighted that previously, the emphasis has been on what the child CAN do and observations of this but the actual progression of moving a child on was lacking. The new 'Learning Stories' aim to provide a direct step from the childs achievements to inform planning for their next developmental step.

Obviously, other areas of the country may have devised their own but here his a brief overview of what we covered for anyone that may be interested! .....Part 2 is tonight!

We were all basically given an EYFS quiz to do independently which highlighted any areas of weakness for us all. This prompted lots of discussion. We were then all asked to consider the types of questions we would want to ask parents/guardians of a new child/ren to the setting.

(medical history, likes/dislikes, comfort toys?, allergies, position in family etc etc) We then had to place these on various A3 sheets around the room with heading like 'Behaviour' 'Physical Development' etc. These linked to the every child matters principles and in turn to the EYFS.

We were then all given a 'Learning Stories' guidance folder. We have only looked at half of it. The first half concerns the 'Parents Learning Stories'. It is basically a booklet containing all the main questions (many of which we had already covered on the post-its!) for parents to fill in about their child/ren. The same booklet follows them through their transitions periods.

Each question posed in the booklet has a coloured margin next to it which shows which area of the EYFS it covers ie, Unique child is turquoise, Purple refers to Positive Relationships etc.

The next section simply had the four areas of the EYFS separated into four boxes in their colours. The idea is to pick up information from the answers parents have given and put these key points into the correct box.....These then inform the planning!

A lot of questions were raised regarding the parents whom are not willing to share such information, which would mean the planning for that child would suffer. Also, for the parents who do not speak English etc. At this point after 12hours at work many of us were about to fall into sleep mode so these areas will be picked up again tonight!

Sorry if I have babbled! And for the long essay!!

Jellytots

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)