Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

6 Areas Of Learning

I am an NQT starting in reception on monday - i am now feeling really nervous (and excited) and i have read loads of useful tips, thanks everyone. Does anyone do anything different with recording the 6 areas of learning, or do you put up the 6 A4 sheets and attach post it notes. I wanted to do something a bit different - any ideas?!!

Chris

Guest Sycamore

Good Luck and how exciting for you starting out on your career! You will be fine.

I have a file with a sheet for each child in it and a box wth space for post it notes to be stuck in. I stick the post it notes all over the cupboards during the day and then transfer them after school. My TA's do the same. I also have a sheet with the 6 areas on and the names of my target group for the week on the wall.

I may also try something new this year as I have been bought an electonic pen and some computer paper (Logitec £200) and the hope is I can write the notes on the pad and then when the pen is put in the docking station it can be downloaded into word, therefore saving me time when writing reports. I am yet to get it up and running and am a little sceptical.

If anyone comes up with a different method I might just nab it!

Have a lovely time with your new class.

Sycamore

I may also try something new this year as I have been bought an electonic pen and some computer paper (Logitec £200) and the hope is I can write the notes on the pad and then when the pen is put in the docking station it can be downloaded into word, therefore saving me time when writing reports. I am yet to get it up and running and am a little sceptical.

This sounds great! I'd love one of them! I too am a post-it person, but I have to post them to my cupboard, else they get lost with the number of people that walk through my room. I also have a booklet for each child with the 6 areas and I write in there anything I spot. I keep those in a file on my cupboard (don't have a desk!) for easy access.

Sycamore, that sounds fantastic, if it works.

Let us know how you get on please! :o

Chris you may find there is a system up and running in school when you get there!

We had a preprofile in our school and a certain amount of compulsory record sheets. The preprofile fed directly into the profile and we highlighted acheived points and notated for evidence.

I personally dont much like post it notes as I am concerned that I might loose them, so we had A4 notebooks with removable sheets that we used to record responses against the whole class. If you look in the back of the profile handbook you will see that this is acceptable.

One important thing to remember is that you should not be rewriting your observations. Use the observation that you make in the form that you make it!

I had pre printed labels with the name and the area of learning on them, x all the children, x the 6 areas. That way we were sure we made a minimum of 1 observation in all the areas, on all the children over a half term. (Phew!) These were then stuck straight into the ongoing profile according to curriculum area.

I also had a class check list for focused activities, which was used for notes and feedback. These were filed in one file, as was, according to curriculum area. If I wanted to check a child's responses in e.g. maths I would just flick through the sheets.

Some children do slip through the net with post its and I wanted to be more methodical and ensure I looked at everyone equally. Other notable events were added of course on post its or straight into the profile but I didn't do anything that required copying and transferring.....life's too short!!

Have a good monday....I'm sure you will!!

:o

Hi, I have just changed our planning (again!!!) I have planned 3 focused activities which relate to specific areas a week, i.e. first week is MD, CLL and PSED, the keyworkers have to take part in these until they have observed their group. We will do it over the week to allow for those children who dont want to take part straight away and also to allow for some children who only come twice. The MD obs for the first week is 'Show an interest in numbers and counting', and will be observed while the children and staff member play with the sorting set. Each adult has a detailed activity sheet regarding each activity to be observed, with space for comments. The keyworker then highlights on the assessment sheet when she is happy that the s/s has been achieved. Obviously any incidental ob's will be recorded, but this will (hopefully) makes it easier to know where we've been and what's next. God knows somethings got to make it easier :o Hope this is some help, and good luck with your new post. :)

hi

We cover all stepping stones on 6 ELGs over a rolling two year period, broken down into half terms, then plan fortnightly on how to observe the children covering the goals, all staff take it in turns to observe activities and i have made a sheet up which ca be be stuck into the childs Indivual Play Plan once acheived.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)