Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Focussed Observations

I am wondering how everyone records their written observations.

As we are now using redesigned forms I am thinking we have made a mistake!

Although it includes all the necessary bits & bobs (context/parents feedback next steps etc.) there is no indication of the area of development we are focussing on.

I realise that the observation will cover many of the areas but when we plan we have a focussed area for observation each week rotating through them all. Once an observation is written it would then be placed in a booklet and cross referenced with dates etc. against the relevant strands of the ELG's.

I wonder now if the area of focus is not stated on the observation form somewhere what happens when cross referencing will staff remeber what each observation is relevant to unless the books are updated weekly (in an ideal world we would have time to do this but we all know the real world does not work that way!)

I am sure I am just having a doh moment and hope someone can help to clear my scrambled brain!

:o

Welcome to the Forum, tentoes!

Our observation forms are very simple - and we don't have a formal way of recording the area of learning, either. The child's key worker will write the area(s) of learning on the top right hand corner of the observation, and perhaps the number of the development matters statements too. We log our observations on a tracker so we can show how our observations document children's learning across the six areas.

Ultimately its about finding ways that work for us - and doesn't involve too much paper pushing!

Maz

Wow! That was Fast!!

Thanks for your support I was pretty sure that what we have is fine, its good to know what others thinK. Noting the area in the corner would be a great solution.

I am not familiar with Sally Thomas Obsevation sheets - must look this up!

Thanks again!

Shelley

hello and welcome to the forum as from this week we are using the Sally Thomas Observation sheets and will as Maz does mark on a tracking sheet. :o

Do you have a copy you can share, hali? I'd like to get together some different formats to share with staff to revamp ours again!

here you go :o

Thanks - this is interesting because it isn't linked obviously closely to the EYFS: I looked at the categories under each area of learning and wondered where they came from? Was this a BTTM one which you've adapted or is this a faithful copy of the original?

Do you use this for every observation you make of a child including the spontaneous ones? Or do you do the post-it note thing for smaller, ad-hoc ones?

I think I'm a very sad bunny indeed, to be so interested in how other people observe children... but you know I have no life! xD

Mx

Edited by HappyMaz

Do you use this for every observation you make of a child including the spontaneous ones? Or do you do the post-it note thing for smaller, ad-hoc ones?

Doh! I guess the title of this thread probably tells me the answer to this: sometimes I can be very very dense... :o

The observation sheets look great and thought how useful they would be to all staff to help them get to grips with EYFS are you happy for me to use and adapt as required Hali? I am also interested to find out as Scarlettangel asked how many you would do and how often.

Thanks again

Hi,

We are going to try 2/3 per week so per term every key child would have 2 obs (some key carers have 8 children) so this is going to be monitered and changed if its proves difficult. I will be adapting this when i have the time to be more 'EYFS than BBTM' (and is an origional copy M) . We also have post its and photos for ad hoc and focus activitties xD

any one is welcome to use an adapt as they wish....... :o

We are also aiming for each keyperson to do 2 long observations a week and all staff will observe spontaneoulsly on all childrem

Can I just ask

1.Are you planning from these long observations or all observations put together each week.

2. Do you then decide what learning intentions are linked to the activities you are providing and then re observe on these to see if they were met?

MAKE SENSE?????!

Only we are getting in a right pickle we seem to have loads of activities each week from the childrens interetss and no particular goal to observe?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)