Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment

I hope enjoyed their first day back. I know you must all be really busy right now but was wondering if anybody could help me.

In our Nursery and Reception we are having enormous problems with record keeping, observations and assessments. LEA gave an INSET that just gave us all a short nervous breakdown - no time for a full length one!!! Is there anybody who would be kind enough to share their format, forms etc. for observation, assessments and records in Reception and Nursery with us? Please!!! I would be so grateful for any help and advice,

Ruthanne :)

This is what i use, and find it really manageable. You can then clip whatever area you can to assess onto a clipboard, and when you are observing, working with small group etc, just colour in if each child has achieved that criteria.

It might not work for you but have a look anyway and see what you think

Tinyone

Try this link:

www.lancsnfgl.ac.uk-curriculum-early_years-files-classrecord

Thank you so much Tinyone and Carol. You're really kind to take the time on your first day back. How do you all record the stepping stones/ transfer to profile and what kind of evidence collection and recording take place? We are really struggling with all of this.

Enjoy a stupendous school year .

Ruthanne :o

Hi Ruthanne, our EYDP member gave us some sheets which exactly match the FS folder in the layout and wording. It's then just a matter of gathering evidence and we then use a highlighter pen to mark off each S/S as it's achieved. If I can make my scanner work I will send a link...just give me a couple of days, it can be a bit stubborn :o

Hi Ruthanne -

We have an article which may take you part of the way there (it deals more with the Nursery side of observation, assessment and recording). If you haven't seen it yet you can find it here.

We are also in the middle of preparing a review of some new record keeping software, which looks like it might be very useful. It works with the Foundation Stage Profile, so might help you achieve the second area you mentioned. The review should be out in a couple of days. Unusually, it can be bought using e-learning credits, so if you're attached to a school you should be able to pay for the software with these.

I'll post here again when the review is out. :)

Hello, sorry scanner has decided not to allow me to edit scan. The text is too light to read but scanner wont play by the rules. Behaviour management for all things technical needed. xD Good job we can rely on Steve. :o

Most profound and abject appology for creating havoc in the most worhty of sites. I hereby give my solemn vow not to dabble in things I dont understand unless under the supervision of a responsible adult. :o

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU Rea, I was so fed up after losing all my med term plans...... but then read your last couple of posts.......I was rolling on the floor with laughter! (Not at your expense...I was laughing with you not at you) So once again thankyou.... and I fully sympathise with your frustration with computers after one killed all my planning! x

Dougal (Technophobe extraordinare.....do you offer online ICT lessons Steve?? :oxD:(:( )

Why is there a limit to our smilies????? i like smilies they can tell you lots............

;) =planning got lost on comp

:( =got no support from mentor

:( = had enough!

:unsure: = hoping it will get better...FSP???? what are they????

xD = yes headmaster, I'm an NQT and you want me to write a policy?.....of course I can!!!!! :ph34r:

xD = thinking what a policy should look like....... and yes I'm looking forward to Mon with 24 kids and no support! :o

but you see its all ok because.................................. I know lots of people now on this fantastic forum :rolleyes: , who over the past two weeks have managed to help me keep my sanity and give me some fantastic advice as well as make me laugh! :(:D :wacko:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anyway back to the thread of assessment..........Oh thats scary do you recommend post it for things you see as and when?????

Dougal x

A big question observation and assesment.

Observation is watching and recording what is going on. Planned observation will be in the form of running notes along the lines of what is happening, what is said, who is involved etc. Assessment is what you do afterwards when you analyse your observation. One good observation can tell you a lot about a child, and probably in all 6 areas of learning. I don't think that this needs to be done too often, once or twice a term for each child, as there will be other sources of evidence.

We took an idea from 'Assessing for the Pupil Profile' Val Hutchins. An A4 sheet is divided into the 6 areas of learning. A picture of the child doing whatever is in the middle. The running observation is photocopied on to the back and the front is filled in analysing the learning shown in each area. We have a next steps box at the bottom.

Testing is when you set an activity with a predetermined outcome, and you record who is acheiving what.

Spontaneous observation is when you see something significant and jot it down to inform your assessment later.

Obviously this is different in the later stages of literacy and numeracy when you can record learning just by looking at what the child has produced, or where they are in reading or phonic work.

We have an assessment sheet which goes through the stepping stone levels in each area of learning. It includes the profile statements where they fit in, and we keep one of these reords for each child from nursery entry. We highlight what they have acheived based on observations and what we know of the children.

Wow Rea! I have no idea how you did that but you must be amazing with computers. Thank you so much. I really appreciate all of your help.

If its any help, I used the target tracker software and just sent off the results to the LEA instead of filling in those nasty looking booklets that I kept losing, dropping a few in the water tray etc. They don't seem to have objected to having it in that format and it actually meant there was nothing to do for the profile in June apart from print off a very pretty excel sheet which meant nothing to me but obviously means something to them. It also helped me to inform my planning during the year as I could get helpful spidercharts telling me which areas of weakness there were for the whole class and which for individuals - I used the individual ones for parents' evening and put them on the reports. Oh yes, it generates the reports too.

Problem is everybody now wants volumes of evidence and the files and paperwork for it all are totally beyond me. We have already made some observations, but how and where to file them - that is the question!

Enjoy the sunshine everybody,

Ruthanne

Jacquie - Thank you that's a big help.

Any chance of letting us all have a copy of those helpful assessment sheets?????????????????

Would it be worth LOADS of smiles? :oxD:(:(:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D ,

Ruthanne

Dougal -

there is a limit on smilies of 20. It was 10, but I once put about 15 on a post and the computer politely told me to remove some!! :o Feeling like a child caught with their hand in the sweetie jar, I did!! Steve very kindly increased the limit for me :( . Apparently he didn't think anyone would be mad (or sad ) enough to need more than 10. If I could remember how to do links, and find the original thread, I'd show you!! :(

I, too, am a computer duffer xD

Sue :D

xD Sue, what can I say....... I don't think that computers are the be all and end all, they come in useful...especially because we can access this site, but I don't know about you I find myself shouting at them 98% of the time!

perhaps we should start a 'technophobe club' Sue? :(:D:(:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)