Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using The Digital Camera In Preschool

Hi,

I wonder if I could ask a favour? I am doing my independent study on the use of a digital camera in the setting and am setting a questionaire for practitioners.

Would it be possible for the members of the FSF to complete it for my study?

The questionaire is not going to be very long and can be completed and returned via e-mail.

All results will be completely anonymous, and I wouldnt use the e-mail adresses for anything else?

Any info would be very useful.

Thanks

Debra Barton

STEVE!!

I am not sure how to get the questionaire to practitioners - Help please!

Hi Debra,

When you write a new post there is a small box to the bottom right of the large white box you type into. It has a button next to it that says 'Browse' and a green button that says 'UPLOAD'. If you know where you have saved your questionnaire on your computer then press the 'Browse' button and find the file. Once you have the file selected then press on UPLOAD and it should upload your document to the forum. :o Make sure you add your reply once you have finished the uploading.

Good luck with uploading. People can PM their completed questionairres back to you via the forum, which will save having to disclose email addresses, yours or theirs :o This avoids 'Spammers' getting email addresses.

Peggy

For those who have not previously sent PM's (personal messages), with an attachment;

1/ download questionairre to your desktop

2/ complete, then save

3/ select My Controls (blue bar top of forum screen, next to My blog & View new posts)

4/ select Compose new message

5/ type recipients name: Aunty Ruby

6/ add message title ie: Questionairre

7/ Type message in text box

8/ select Browse, bottom right of text box

9/ Locate questionairre on your desktop, double click it.

10/ select UPLOAD, green button next to browse

11/ select send message, bottom of text box-middle

Voila! you've sent a PM with an attachment. :o

Peggy

p.s. You have mail from me too Ruby

Have completed my questionnaire and PMd it to you.

This has really got me thinking: we use digital cameras a lot to document children's learning - but are a bit remiss in encouraging children to use the child-friendly camera. I'm thinking we should encourage them to use both the adult and child camera - and am seriously thinking about mounting an exhibition of children's photos!

Thanks for giving me a bit of inspiration which at the moment is sadly missing from my life.

Maz

Hopefully its winging its way to you now!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the idea of an early years photo exhibition.

Might use it as a fundraiser too....... charge say 50p to parents to come see the pics............ we are trying this year to raise money for Acorns Childrens Hospice in Worcester.

Might use it as a fundraiser too....... charge say 50p to parents to come see the pics............ we are trying this year to raise money for Acorns Childrens Hospice in Worcester.

hI

Hope your BA goes well. I used a digital camera in the setting for the first time whilst undertaking my foundation degree. The children were aged between two and a half and 4 years. I must say pictures were really hit and miss, often the children got the floor, feet and sky more than anything else! -

xD:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes:

What can I say?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thank you sooooo much for all your replies, they will really help me compile my evidence. I am so pleased for all the lovely support you have given me, thanks.

I had quite a heated debate about the fact that I allow the children to use the camera, we have a blue Fisher Price childrens digital, the person insisted that children should be children and not techies! (this person does not work with the early years) When I explained what I had observed they had a complete change of mind, and agreed that ok maybe it is a good thing. It was good to see someone elses view though.

Scarlettangel, I like the idea of a gallery, mmm I might steal that idea from you! LOL

Thanks Peggy for the infor how to post the file, I had no idea.

I must say that to begin with the pictures are hit and miss, but with some gentle coaching, my little ones have taken some well composed, if a little wonkey, pictures of each other. And of course when they are displayed on the slide show on the PC they just squeal with delight.

I'll be finished by BA(hons) by Christmas, just 1 module plus this to do then thats me all done.

What that you say? go on to the MA, are you MAD??? no not just yet anyway. :o

Thanks again for all your help, If I can return the favour at anytime, PM me.

Deb x (aka Aunty Ruby)

Best wishes on completing your BA :(

I remember once I asked the children to take a photo of their favourite 'adult' (meaning staff), it got quite competative with staff 'posing' in front of the camera 'trying' o get the childrens attention to take their picture. :(

At the end it was interesting to see who the children chose and interesting revelations (when discussed later) as to why they chose who they did. :wacko:

and of course, most pics were taken of me (blush), one reason though was "because it's your campictor" :( , other reasons, because I'm funny :o , and because "your Peggy" xD

actually I did this with the children over 2 yrs ago, yet I can recall it like it was yesterday, says something about visual images and the cognitive memory eh? xD

Peggy

I've been reading you replies, and from what I can see its all very positive, this got me thinking, xD

Is there anyone who does not agree with allowing children access to the digital camera and/or printing equipment, and if so why?

Is there anyone who has constraints in using it in the setting?

Is there anyone who does not have a camera for the children to use, why is this do you think?

I am finding this topic very interesting, and something that I can take back to the setting and maybe change practice slightly? :o

Thanks again

Deb

Hi again Aunty Ruby,

I dont't think I mentioned on my questionaire that we actually let the children use a normal adult camera. It's never been dropped and is always looked after. We do explain to the children how to look after it and, touch wood, no smashed camera (yet!!!). :o

It's never been dropped and is always looked after. We do explain to the children how to look after it and, touch wood, no smashed camera (yet!!!). :o

Oh dublinbay, was this wise? You just know what will happen on Monday, don't you? xD

This is a really interesting topic: a friend of mine did a project with the children in her group using the camera to take photos of their setting and was most disappointed that none of them were blurred, cut people's heads off or were of the ceiling/floor! Apparently it was difficult to tell that children and not adults had taken them! It seems that children these days are very technologically switched on!

Maz

Oh woe is me!...............here's hoping that touching the wood in my head will be enough!!! :oxD

Hopefully the luck of the Irish will keep you safe from harm (and your camera, obviously!) :(

• 7 months later...

:oxD:(:(:(

Hi guys!

Just to update you on my BA(hons) - I passed!!!!!!! but more than that I achieved a 2:1 (amazing as I have 4 children a hubby and a pre-school with 52 on my roll) I had only hoped for a 2:2

Just wanted to send you all a HUGE thank you for all your help with my independent study, it was a really interesting piece of research.

Other good news is that I also achieved my Early Years Professional Status (I had a good week that week)

Thanks to everyone for your support, and if I can do anything to help anyone, please get in touch.

:wacko: xD Big cheesy grins and hugs all round

Ruby

For those who have not previously sent PM's (personal messages), with an attachment;

2/ complete, then save

3/ select My Controls (blue bar top of forum screen, next to My blog & View new posts)

Peggy

thanks Peggy I had to copy and print off your instructions and pin them to my wall so I do hope this works for Aunty Ruby

G

2/ complete, then save

Peggy

thanks Peggy I had to copy and print off your instructions and pin them to my wall so I do hope this works for Aunty Ruby

G

We download all the photos taken in the unit for the whole year onto a CD last year we gave these to our parents as a leaving gift - but you could always sell them.. we had lots of requests from parents for additional copies which we did charge for - they really show your own child in their environment over the space of a year . Just fantastic We have the IWB on each morning with the previous days pictures running on them so good for the parents and children to see and comment about

g

Have completed my questionnaire and PMd it to you.

This has really got me thinking: we use digital cameras a lot to document children's learning - but are a bit remiss in encouraging children to use the child-friendly camera. I'm thinking we should encourage them to use both the adult and child camera - and am seriously thinking about mounting an exhibition of children's photos!

Thanks for giving me a bit of inspiration which at the moment is sadly missing from my life.

Maz

I love the idea of the photo exhibition :oxD In one of my OU courses we carried out small scale research using the mosaic approach. One of the 'tools' of this approach was a camera and I got my 'research child' to take photographs of things he particularly liked and didn't like. It was seriously eye opening stuff!! One of the photos was his favourite place within the preschool. He chose to photograph a section of flooring in the cloakroom!! but the explanation was that if he sat there quietly he could see the birds come to the bird feeder in the garden and his grandad had birds in his garden. A friend had a child who photgraphed a brick wall in the playground - her favourite place because when the sun shone she could see her whole shadow on the wall!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)