Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

It Will Be Down To Money............

Scarlettangel

Hello there!!

I am an NNEB who works in a LA nursery during the morning alongside a teacher, and then during the afternoons I manage and work some of our wraparound care (lunch club, private nursery and after school)

I work with another NNEB and when needed (ie high numbers) a TA.

From 2015 one of us will need a degree to continue as we are doing!!!!!

My question to you guys, is do you know how much financial help school will get, if I go off and do my foundation degree part time?

I have read £2000 per year in one place and I am sure £3000 per year some where else!!

I am sure the decision as to whether I can go off and do it or not will have to be based at least a little (or maybe alot) on whether the service can afford to cover me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your thoughts..........

Hi

I know the setting gets support if you already have a foundation degree and you are doing the long pathway towards EYPS, I also know that Private settings can access the graduate leader fund money of £3000 per yearto support staff working towards graduate leader status but think this is also linked to attaining EYPS in the fact we signed to access the GLF saying we would have someone attaining EYPS within 3 years. If you study with the Open University they pay your fees and you can access money for study materials and computer. Your best bet would be to contact your local authority as some ares have different funds that you can access. Good luck with your studies if you decide to go ahead.

hi our glf fund id £1000 in the firt year, £1500 in the second and £2000 in the third year to be paid to you to top up your wages, My setting gets simiar to support me in the buying of books and supply cover when I need the time off and £500 to support other staff members. they also pay your fees.

check with your authourity and they will point you in the right direction. good luck

killowengirl

The manager of the wraparound in a school I work at was completely funded to do her Foundation Degree and the school got funding for cover costs - she had to attend college on Mondays, 3.00 - 9.00pm and so had Monday afternoons off every week.

Well the seminar was informative......

I MAY start the course a week on Monday!!!!!!

I wanted to start in January ideally but there is no oportunity to do this, so either a week Monday or next September.

I can do 1 - 7pm in Redditch or 9 - 4.45 in Worcester

On a Monday.

Have talked to my staff and can get the cover.

I can get £3000 for this cover for each year.

The course is £850 but 75% will be paid by county.

I have to find the rest, but it can come out of the £3000.

I feel somewhat stressed though because until Christmas I am lecturing on...... you guessed it, a Monday night!!!!!!!!!! 6 -9pm and I am worried about doing both.

Mondyou it is only a short term thing.

Will I manage the work load do you think??????

On top of all this I need to speak to my head to see how he feels about me starting it kind of now!!!!!!!!

Oh lordy...........

Well there's nothing like a challenge, eh Scarlettangel!

I taught one day a week for most of the first year of the Foundation Degree - but not being very organised I struggled! If you're organised and you're only lecturing until Christmas I'd say bite the bullet and go for it! LJW's posts tell us how close Christmas is - it will be here before you know it!

Another factor to take into consideration might be the number of assignments in the first term, and the deadline for submission. The course leaders should be able to tell you this so you can plan your workload sensibly (or at least make a realistic decision about whether you will be able to cope!).

Good luck!

Maz

Hi Scarlettangel,

I am doing my FD with the Open University, they have not paid for my course, I used to get funded via the Transformation Fund , but the transformation fund has stopped and has been replaced by the graduate leader fund. As I did not want to do the EYPS as I am unsure about having to take maths GCSE ( I am an oldie, lol) I have been granted funding by my local early years funding team.

The Open University don't pay for resources for everyone, I have not had any funding for resources, I have bought all resources I have needed myself, as have other people. I am not sure why some people get funding for resources and others don't.

Try and find out who your local Early Years team are and ask them if they know about what training is available to you and what type of funding you could get.

Hope it all works out for you

Rosepetal

Hello!!!!

Well after 2 phone calls this morning I am pleased (I think!!) to say I got a place on the foundation degree course starting NEXT Monday!

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you believe it though tonight at college (my little lecturing job) I was aksed if I might like to do my assessors training and if I would like to teach NVQ level 2 next year instead of level 3's............

Why does everything always happen at once I wonder???!!!!!!

I am committed to college until December but after that I am thinking maybe I should drop everything else that I don't have to do........ and give myself some time and space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will think on it.

I suppose the level of work necessary might dictate how this one goes!!

YAY I am about to embark on a degree...... me....... at the grand old age of 44

YAY I am about to embark on a degree...... me....... at the grand old age of 44

Fantastic news! Remember that age is just a number - you're experienced and knowledgeable so you'll bring a lot to the group of learners!

Enjoy! :o

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)