Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Do You Follow When They Are 60 Mnts?

JUST WONDERING WHAT TO DO WHEN THE CHILDREN REACH 60 MONTHS. HAVE I GOT THIS RIGHT? I AM IN RECEPTION (F2) SO MY SEPTEMER CHILDREN ARE 60 MONTHS, ARNT THEY?

SO DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT WITH THEM-NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THIS BEFORE AS THE FOUNDATION STAGE NEVER REALLY SPOKE ABOUT MONTHS.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY LIGHT TO SHED, PLEASE DO SO

THANKS IN ADVANCE NATASHA

But not all the children will be 60 months surely there are a wide age range depending on Birthdays.. some of ours have gone into reception at 48 months...and I always feel the months are a bit irrelevant really, as children develop so differently that just because they are 5 doesn't mean they have all reached the same stages of development.

Inge

I thought that one of the great advantages of the EYFS is its flexiblity to accommodate differing rates of development in children. therefore age is irrelevant and you plan for the child's needs and developmental age rather than their chronological age.

Or have i got it wrong?

The age guidelines are just that, guidelines of what to look for developmentally so the final band is 40 - 60 months. As Inge says some children will be just four and some may have just had their 5th birthday but they are still covered by the EYFS and what you plan for them will be based on your observations of them as individuals. The mainstay of your learning is through play. Children who excel in one area do not necessarily excel in others. You plan for their interests and needs. The profile does not have to be filled in until the end of the reception year, and if you have very able children then they may be scoring in some areas at point 9, which would be well into the NC. As the practice guidance says:

There is also guidance on children’s development, what to look out

for, effective practice and useful hints on planning and resourcing. The sections in ‘Development matters’ and ‘Look, listen and note’ also support the continuous assessment that practitioners must undertake. Of course, these sections are not intended to be exhaustive – different children will do different things at different times – and they should not be used as checklists.

Best of luck and don't worry, everyone is still getting the hang of the document :oxD

I think (but haven't checked) that in the EYFS documents, it's referred to as 40-60+ months, because, as others have said, some children will be 5 soon after entry and others will be just 4 on entry.

thanks everyone, this is what i thought but did not want to say this to SMT without back up from this wonderful sight, indeed i do have children who are just 48 months and range to 60.

thanks everyone-let put that in their pipe and smoke it!

Children are in EYFS until the end of the year they turn 5, so a september child will be chronologically above 60 months for most of the year - they'll still be an EYFS child!! However their development may be anywhere. The ELGs are the expected outcomes for a child at the end of FS so that would also explain the 60+.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)