Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Read Any Good Books?

Andreamay

Having asked my best friend who lives in belgium what she wants for her birthday she asked for a good book to read!! :o I wondered if anybody had one to recommend please? shes not into books like Davinci code for instance but does like a good story sort of romance/family life. she loves Mr Darcy in Pride and prejudice but isnt particulary into historical romances otherwise. xD so anybody read a good book over the holidays that might fit the bill?

Andrea

Edited by Andreamay

Having asked my best friend who lives in belgium what she wants for her birthday she asked for a good book to read!! :o I wondered if anybody had one to recommend please? shes not into books like Davinci code for instance but does like a good story sort of romance/family life. she loves Mr Darcy in Pride and prejudice but isnt particulary into historical romances otherwise. xD so anybody read a good book over the holidays that might fit the bill?

Andrea

I read 'Let the Northern Lights erase you name'. It is beautifully written and so easy to read, easily one of my favourite books. I highly recommend it. It's by Vendela Vida.

I read The Outcast on holiday and it was REALLY good - and sounds as though it would fit the bill. I can't tell you the author unfortunately because I left the book there...but it's a best seller at the moment in Smiths and Waterstones! :o

Kate Figes book "What about me " is a great read, read it on holiday.

Its about a 14 year old girl and her menopausal mother. its like they both write diary inserts.

excellent book :o .

Or else how about The time travellers wife.............

One of my favourites

bit of usless information-Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston when they were married bought the film rights so they could play the couple. It's now unlikely to be made for obvious reasons.

or 'Sister of my heart' about two girls deep friendship which makes them sisters in their heart. the same author wrote Mistress of Spices which is another go read

Sister of my heart

I REALLY enjoyed several of Joanne Harris' early books: Chocolat, 5 1/4's of the orange & Blackberry Wine. I'm in a lull at the moment having just finished an amazing book by Victoria Hislop called 'The Island', another Richard & Judy recommendation I think.... It was unusual subject matter and incredibly moving. I could not put it down.

http://www.victoriahislop.com/island.html

Kate Mosse - I preferred Sepulchre (to Labyrinth) which is a really good gripping read with a bit of romance as well. Light books with a lot of humour and just a bit different are the Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency series- delightful. If your friend likes detective stories which are subtle and well written then PD James is simply the best!

Andrea

Hi

There are several authors I love, do you think she has read Lovely Bones by Alice Seabold, or My Best Friends Girl by Dorothy Koomson? Both good stories.

Kate Mosse - I preferred Sepulchre (to Labyrinth) which is a really good gripping read with a bit of romance as well.

Jacquie, I'm still deciding there. Re-reading both - however, they are both worth the effort - yes??

And 'Lovely Bones' is Brilliant!!

Sorry I replied to this post, havent done this before, unsure of what I am doing. I didn't include name or anything.

I'm Kimberley, I love books and was interested in your question. Sorry it ,y post seemed rude and unfinished.

I REALLY enjoyed several of Joanne Harris' early books: Chocolat, 5 1/4's of the orange & Blackberry Wine. I'm in a lull at the moment having just finished an amazing book by Victoria Hislop called 'The Island', another Richard & Judy recommendation I think.... It was unusual subject matter and incredibly moving. I could not put it down.

http://www.victoriahislop.com/island.html

I also really enjoyed The Island - a great read! I think I saw another one by Victoria Hislop recently but it was only in hardback so I'll wait til the cheaper version appears! :o

Sorry I replied to this post, havent done this before, unsure of what I am doing. I didn't include name or anything.

I'm Kimberley, I love books and was interested in your question. Sorry it ,y post seemed rude and unfinished.

Lovely to hear from you, don't really know how to chat on the forum, but am trying to figure it out. There are some great idea on here. My main interest is Outdoor Play.

I also really enjoyed The Island - a great read! I think I saw another one by Victoria Hislop recently but it was only in hardback so I'll wait til the cheaper version appears! :o

I read the island, great read. Victoria Hislop came to our book group and did a talk. Interesting lady, and very nice. I am finishing a book at the moment called Until I find you by John Irving, good read some times hard going but worth sticking with,

WOW went out for tea came back on the forum and have all these wonderful helpful replys!!!

Hi Kimberley and welcome from me too thank you she has read the two you recommended as i read them and took them over to her! :(

Ive been so inspired im of to waterstones tomorrow to buy a few on your lists will let you know and a few for myself too!! need to get them read before i go back to uni at the end of the month though! :o

THANKYOU ALL YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE xD

Andrea x

Many Thanks, great to be here, although I have no idea what I am doing, any advice?

Kimberley

You seem to be doing OK to me - I only learnt how to quote posts yesterday and I've been on here for just under 3 years!!! :o

I have bought on 3 for 2 offer at waterstones

The outcast

The Island

and Erica James new one cant remember what it is called we like her cos she usually bases her book on the Cheshire countryside and has written a story based in Knutsford where my friend used to live and i work. This new one is set in Venice ive never been but my friend has.

So got 3 for under £15 mind you it cost me £6.51 to post it to Belgium!! :o Shes worth it though xD And I will get to read them eventually cos we share!!!!

Thank you again next time Im stuck for gifts i know where to come!! :(

Andrea