Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job Title

Hi all

I am the business manager (voluntary) of a playgroup and am having a little problem with the staff. They have always been called playworkers and that's what was on their T&Cs and job descriptions when I took on my role. However, they are now unhappy at being called playworkers and want a new title (but don't know what - they also won't wear tabbards as they "dont'want to look like a bunch of cleaners").

Any suggestions for job titles please?

what type of qualification do they have? are they qualified to level three or do they have a dpp. you could use polo shirts and sweatshirts as uniform.

killowengirl

Names can be important, perhaps the staff want to reflect their changing roles and professionalism. Without knowing the specific job description, here are a few suggestions to get the ball rolling....

Pre-school assistant

Childcare worker

Learning Support asssistant (LSA)

Pre-school practitioner

Professional educator

Look forward to seeing what others come up with - could be quite exciting!

We have had a discussion about tabbards in our setting recently. We don't have a uniform but some members of staff wanted to protect their clothes especially from green sllime! Not everyone was keen on wearing tabbards so we bought a couple in our 'corporate colours', and those that want to can wear them to protect their clothes.

Good luck, hope you get things sorted soon.

Until I took on the role a year ago only the manger was qualfied (QTS) but she left last September. To be honest it was a right mess when I took it on as the managment committee were a bit thin on the ground and no one was 'managing' the staff as they didn't want to do a qualification and were allowed to carry on working unqualified and don't even mention the accounts - a great big box of stuff that hadn't been touched in 6 years (Good Ofsted - don't ask!!)

I recruited a new manager (QTS) and got the 4 the staff onto a level 2 course which they are just completing and should be qualified by October.

They have sweatshirts and polo shirts but want something else (once again - they don't know what - yes they are that hard to please).

I have got the last 3 years accounts on the computer, manged to get around £10k in funding in the past year, had the whole place refurbished (they didn't even have a staff loo) and they moan about job titles and uniform - sheesh!!!

I manage another organisation with over 60 staff (my proper job) and don't get anywhere near the grief I get from the 4 playgroup staff - but I think I'm winning them round :o

congratulations on coming so far, I took over my nursery a year ago and had similar problem so I know where you are coming from. our nursery doesnt have a staff toilet and many things were wrong. I changed all my satff titles and we settled on a tunic top for our uniform. As for qualifications by 2010 all staff should be level 3 qualified and the manager should have at least eyps status. I agree with titles such as childcare practitioner, preschool assistant or practitioner.

I feel at the moment my staff are working with me now after the deparure of my trouble members of staff and we are strating to make progress I wish you good luch and any help we can give please ask

killowengirl

"sorry I meant 2015"

Thank goodness for that - I nearly had a heart attack xD

It was hard enough getting them to do the Level 2 - I think a couple might go walkies when I start pushing for the level 3 (not such a bad thing - I'm trying to 'manage' my 2 bad apples out)

BTW - any opinions on this situation please - I have offered them all the opportuntiy to do the level 3 course but it would mean that some of their 'placement' hours will be in addition to their paid hours. 1 is prepared to do it (real gem - always working extra for no pay - know that feeling well :o )

But the other 3 are saying that they won't do the hours required by the awarding body without being paid. Well it doesn't take a genious to work out that we can't afford to pay the manager plus 4 staff for the required 12 hours a week when we are only open for 12.5 hours (especially this time of year when we've only got a few children). It's not so bad in the summer when we've got 24 children but i'm sure they think we've got a hidden stash somewhere - if only - we were on the verge of going out of business a year ago :(

Hi readerRabbit, I see you've made a few posts already but don't think 've said hello yet, so, Welcome to the forum. :(

You have certainly done well so far, your comment about your experiences managing 4 compared to 60 made me smile. Reminds me of my husband, Warrent Officer in Catering Corp 'managed', whole units and barracks but once in civvy street managing a kitchen of about 10 workers (in a private hospital) he found it a nightmare over basic tasks such as setting a rota that pleased eveyone-impossible :o :rolleyes:

How about get your 4 staff to design, search/source their own 'uniform', then put the choices to the vote, with you having the casting vote in the event of a tie. :( . Mind you, you'd better give them a budget to work with though or you might end up with them choosing Jimmy Choo shoes or something else as extreme. :unsure:

When I had my preschool one of the staff chose some material and made up some simple design tabbards, the material had lovely Teddy Bear pictures on. :(

Under the tabbards, which they wore when they felt they needed to, they had polo shirt with logo, but in the summer I got some lovely sleeveless T-Shirts, nice style from Matalan (£3 each) in a choice of pastel blue or pink, the staff appreciatted this less formal style but maintained a uniformed look. :wacko:

As for 'titles', some examples already, others are; Early Years Practitioner or Educarer (this one never seemed to catch on, came out a few years ago- trying to show that education and care are equally important, and go together). My staff were either supervisor, deputy or assistant, plus role names like Hali has described. Also depended whether we made reference to them to outsiders (advisors/parents etc) or within the team, which terms we used.

For example on our staff poster for parents info, under a photo I had;

Full Name, Deputy Supervisor, DPP-Level 3, SENCO, 1st Aider, H&S Officer. A little intro ie: years of experience, family (children/pets/lives local), hobbies, etc.

Within the team we tended to refer to role ie: SENCO, as everyone remembered what position they were ie deputy.

Hope this helps, good luck with your continued work on the accounts, what a nightmare, just one term of dealing with funding (NEG) is hard enough xD

Congratulations on getting the 10K funding and your refurbishments, well done. xD

Peggy

"sorry I meant 2015"

Thank goodness for that - I nearly had a heart attack xD

It was hard enough getting them to do the Level 2 - I think a couple might go walkies when I start pushing for the level 3 (not such a bad thing - I'm trying to 'manage' my 2 bad apples out)

BTW - any opinions on this situation please - I have offered them all the opportuntiy to do the level 3 course but it would mean that some of their 'placement' hours will be in addition to their paid hours. 1 is prepared to do it (real gem - always working extra for no pay - know that feeling well :o )

But the other 3 are saying that they won't do the hours required by the awarding body without being paid. Well it doesn't take a genious to work out that we can't afford to pay the manager plus 4 staff for the required 12 hours a week when we are only open for 12.5 hours (especially this time of year when we've only got a few children). It's not so bad in the summer when we've got 24 children but i'm sure they think we've got a hidden stash somewhere - if only - we were on the verge of going out of business a year ago :(

I'd suggest that you look at and review your training and professional development policy (If you have one). This policy will be influenced by the requirements of number of qualified people, including emergency cover, types of qualifications / to what level, detailed in the EYFS statutory requirements but also the ethos of the setting, which may be to have 2/3 rds of staff at level 3 (for example). When this policy is written and agreed you can then re-write into the staff contracts. Also you may consider, for future recruitment to include in person spec the requirement that all employees will train up to a certain level, cover certain short courses ie: 1st Aid etc. State how the training will be funded by employer/ Employee. I'm not too sure about legal implication of paying or not for training, if it's required then I think employer has to foot the bill, but a clause could be put in that if the employee leaves within a certain amount of time they have to repay whole or percentage of training costs.

Speak to your LEA about funding towards qualifications, if not, because of the recognition of quality of service being impacted by level of staff's qualifications, and requirements of Ofsted etc, maybe this is the time for all settings to 'cost' training into the fees. (doesn't help for funded children though -their income stays the same)

Peggy

what type of qualification do they have? are they qualified to level three or do they have a dpp.

A DPP is a level 3 qualification! :o

As for qualifications by 2010 all staff should be level 3 qualified and the manager should have at least eyps status

As I understand it the recommendation for all staff to be qualified at level 3 hasn't been made official policy - its still on the 'wish list'. And I thought only full day care settings need to have an EYP by 2015. That's why you need to be full day care to access the Graduate Leader Fund.

"Unless of course you know different" in the words of the great Esther Rantzen! xD

Maz

I wonder who would pay for this level 3 training?

Because it seems to my tired eyes (I know, I only just got up!!) that if the setting was going to pay for them to get trained up (something they can use elsewhere and at other times in their lives) they would petty and foolish to turn down the offer of getting a level 3 qualification!

If they do NVQ3 in an evening (6-9pm at our college) I thought the criteria wasn't for how many hours they did just that they worked with children.

Or were they saying they should/ wanted to be paid to train ie the 3 hours?

I know 2015 seems a way off but maybe a reminder about the changes ahead would be good..........

I think it sounds as though you do a great job.......... just take a deep breath...............

As for uniform what DO they want???????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We all call ourselves Early Years Practitioners when asked on any forms etc , titles withing the group are designed for parents to understand

Manager for the person who has control of the day to day running,

deputy manager, we have 2 of these and

play leaders qualified staff

play assistants for unqualified staff..

But each have additional roles as stated so often use these Senco, H&S, CLL co-ordinator, Child protection officer, Behaviour management officer, equal opportunity officer and everything else needed..

As Peggy we have a picture on the noticeboard of each staff member with a job title, additional responsibilities, (Senco etc) and qualifications weith number of years experience also. with this is a list of each child they are key person for, parents like this , they so consult us all but often seek out the keyperson.

Our contract states we must be willing to train, in own time to level 3, If we pay for this they have to stay for a set time aftger qualifying or refund any costs.. including wages if we did pay them for the hours.. this way most will train in own time unpaid as they dont want the chance of a huge bill if they leave earlier than specified time.

The training requirement is also stated in our job decription , just to make sure they are aware of it!

we can actually get funding for the training from LEA, have done for a while now,course costs are covered, but not any wages..

The incentive to train is also added to by our wage scales which increase once thy have recieved the relevant qualifcation.. must admit unqualified do not earn much more than minimum wage.. so an increase is noticable once trained...

We have polo shirts, as a uniform and Fleece jackets for outside, as well as sleeveless tops for warmer weather, because of our preschool name we allow them to choose a colour from a selction and we have the logo embroidered /printed on them , we pay for uniform tops. we do have tabards with the logo on if they want to wear one. As our staff has not changed a lot we do re order every year foir those who need more or new uniform as it has become worn or 'distressed'. ( our children wear a lot of different coloured tops too with Logo on it, parents like to choose, and of course the girls love the pink ones!)

If they wanted to change I would ask what they want and get them to give me details when they have them, with manager having final say.

Inge

you are right happy maz it is full day care but that does include groups that do school hours but work all day as we do. I understood from my LEA advisor that it was is a requirement by 2015 but if anyone knows any differnt or has been told different then I would be interested to know.

killowengirl

• 4 months later...
Until I took on the role a year ago only the manger was qualfied (QTS) but she left last September. To be honest it was a right mess when I took it on as the managment committee were a bit thin on the ground and no one was 'managing' the staff as they didn't want to do a qualification and were allowed to carry on working unqualified and don't even mention the accounts - a great big box of stuff that hadn't been touched in 6 years (Good Ofsted - don't ask!!)

I recruited a new manager (QTS) and got the 4 the staff onto a level 2 course which they are just completing and should be qualified by October.

They have sweatshirts and polo shirts but want something else (once again - they don't know what - yes they are that hard to please).

I have got the last 3 years accounts on the computer, manged to get around £10k in funding in the past year, had the whole place refurbished (they didn't even have a staff loo) and they moan about job titles and uniform - sheesh!!!

I manage another organisation with over 60 staff (my proper job) and don't get anywhere near the grief I get from the 4 playgroup staff - but I think I'm winning them round :o

Just wanted to say ello and well done! Im supervisor in a 16 place preschool working full time and i struggle to keep my sanity ! Im having a few problems with 2 of my staff. they havent got appropriate job descriptions, was just wondering if you have some i could possibly get ideas from. I need preschool assistant and deputy supervisor. How you find time to do everything i dont no but would very much appreciate any ideas if you have the time. Thankyou

Hi all

I am the business manager (voluntary) of a playgroup and am having a little problem with the staff. They have always been called playworkers and that's what was on their T&Cs and job descriptions when I took on my role. However, they are now unhappy at being called playworkers and want a new title (but don't know what - they also won't wear tabbards as they "dont'want to look like a bunch of cleaners").

Any suggestions for job titles please?

All my staff are known as Early Years Practitioners regardless of their qualification. It gives the feeling of professionalism but also stops them going on about who has the higher title. Theya re now all equal and only their pay is linked to qualification. Hope this helps

Kyra