Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Extra Pay For Deputy When Left In Charge

anju

we have a named supervisor and deputy for each session and they get the appropriate rate...

with 2 deputy and one manager who rotate and share the sessions it works for us.... our manager is not in full time but part time the same as all the staff... but we do work differently to other settings..

think it may depend on the level of responsibility while doing deputy job...eg if someone is getting more wage for doing the same as other staff, it may not be deemed necessary for the occasional session. But if they take the responsibility for some of the supervisor job every day (as in our case ..We are very good at jobshare and some of the supervisor jobs are done by deputy) then it may be appropriate.

Inge

Hmm, I hope there is someone! Surely you would have at least 2 people who have undergone the 'Fit Person' check from Ofsted? If there was no-one available then you'd have to notify Ofsted and take advice from them I presume.... or Emergency Closure?

What do you do if you have no-one suitably qualified/experienced to take on the role? xD

Employ someone who is or train up someone within the current team? :o I think part of a supervisors role is to empower all her/his workforce to at least have the knowledge of the basic runnings of the setting, a strategic overview of the workplace is important for the whole team, to enable the whole team to work towards meeting all the aims and objectives of the setting.

Training plan - staffs professional development plan.

Peggy

p.s. sorry if this sounds like rose tinted glasses and not in the real world, but forward planning for all eventualities eh?

Hmm, I hope there is someone! Surely you would have at least 2 people who have undergone the 'Fit Person' check from Ofsted? If there was no-one available then you'd have to notify Ofsted and take advice from them I presume.... or Emergency Closure?

In our case only one has ever had the 'fit person check', and that is the one in charge of day to day running of the group, it is up to the committee, / owner to ensure the deputy is 'fit'

Inge

i am 'between' deputies at the moment as my deputy left in the holidays, i have an 'acting deputy 'who is qualified to a level 3 and has said she will cover if i need her too in my absence, i phoned OFSTED to make sure that this was ok and the person that i spoke to said that as long as she has the relevant qualifications it is up to me to make sure she is suitable for the role!! i obviously checked this with my committee and they were all in agreement with it.

There's me (level 6) and my deputy supervisor (level 4). And that's it as far as qualified staff go! My deputy supervisor works three days a week, so on two days I won't have a named deputy who is level 3 qualified.

I've had long conversations with my Early Years advisory team member, and am in the middle of writing my action plan to get my staff qualified. To say I'm apprehensive about the new term is the understatement of the century!

So if anyone knows of a good level 3 practitioner anywhere near Maidenhead who is kicking his/her heels at the moment, you know what to do!

Maz

you could poach me Maz the way i feel at the moment!!!!!! :(xD

Oh dear! Well you know where I am... :o Not only do I have to do a staff development plan, I also have to plan my exit strategy! You know how you like to be in charge... :(

Employ someone who is or train up someone within the current team? :o I think part of a supervisors role is to empower all her/his workforce to at least have the knowledge of the basic runnings of the setting, a strategic overview of the workplace is important for the whole team, to enable the whole team to work towards meeting all the aims and objectives of the setting.

Training plan - staffs professional development plan.

Peggy

p.s. sorry if this sounds like rose tinted glasses and not in the real world, but forward planning for all eventualities eh?

I agree with you Peggy, I have 2 deputies and a very competent team of assistants who have good knowledge of the basic runnings of the setting.

In response to the origianl question of the post! The deputies get paid a higher hourly rate of pay then assistants and this stays the same whether they cover for me or not.

mrsb

thanks for your replies.

like you Mrs B our deputy gets a higher rate than the other staff and covers for the manager at the same as their normal rate.

Maz, I constanly worry about this as my staff apart from me and the deputy are just about to become level 2 so there is a long way to go before they are level 3. and yet one of them is oerfectly capable of covering for me - its the 'teaching' I think she needs more experience with but the overall responsibility, dealing with parents, crises etc. she would be fine. I have had a few times 'between deputies' too with working towards level 3 people. not ideal but there seem to be so few level 3s and a lot of those I wouldn't employ as they don't seem up to the job despite having level 3. anyone else recognise this situation???

anyway, thanks again for your replies.

I have had a few times 'between deputies' too with working towards level 3 people. not ideal but there seem to be so few level 3s and a lot of those I wouldn't employ as they don't seem up to the job despite having level 3. anyone else recognise this situation???

I absoluely agree, anju: the qualification itself doesn't make a good practitioner. I have seen quite a few in my time who might have the piece of paper but have little or no empathy or interest in children. Its great to have the person with the piece of paper, but sometimes a really good level 2 qualified practitioner would make a far better deputy.

I am just in a difficult situation whereby one member of staff is on maternity leave, and one of my two deputies has been made an offer she can't refuse and is leaving childcare altogether.

Ho hum - all part of the challenge, I guess!

Maz

I have a deputy who is qualified to a level 3 and it is in her job description that she should be able to step up to cover supervisors absence if the need requires, if however this was a regular thing then pay rates would reflect this.

Debbie

Maz you sound like you have had some fun in your time.

The actiing deputy will be left in charge on a Friday when I am at college but will still be at her rate of pay not mine. In fact she soo good that I forget that preschool are there when I 'run into the cupboard' to sort out the paper work! :lol :lol Well its really a side room I use but we all say that I am running away to the cupbord.

Beth

The actiing deputy will be left in charge on a Friday when I am at college but will still be at her rate of pay not mine. In fact she soo good that I forget that preschool are there when I 'run into the cupboard' to sort out the paper work! :lol :lol Well its really a side room I use but we all say that I am running away to the cupbord.

Beth

Beth

Have you got a sticky 'add reply' button Beth1? :o:(xD

Peggy

Yes I must have, I only posted once last night as you can tell I only noticed this now! Strange computer must have thought it was important and posted it tooo many times. :lol

Beth

My deputy did get higher pay when i was off ill in hospital for 6 weeks and then recuperating for a further couple of months.She is worth ten times the three magic beans i pay her and often leaves me thinkng she should be running her own group, she's so darned wonderful.As I am at college one day a week, she gets a higher rate (Three and a half magic beans!) for that day.