Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Its Finally Here

HappyMaz

Morning everyone, happy EYFS day....yes it's here! Not back into work with children until Wednesday but using the next couple of days to make sure we are ready. I'm looking forward to it...I think! We have been running the sessions very free flow for about the last 1 1/2 years now so that side of things doesn't change.......no topics/themes, child led, key persons, door open so children can free flow in/out throughout the session etc etc. The paperwork side of things has been tweaked a little here and there and I guess only time will tell on that.

I've had a lot of help and advise on here so many thanks everyone. :o

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

I totally agree we have no children until next monday. This is our second year. Last year was free flow as above and it worked really well. children always seemed happy to come to playgroup even in the last term which can be challenging. i seemed to have spent all the summer tweeking paperwork but finally feel like we are there. One big bonus my youngest daughter is off to school so i will not have her at playgroup. Yes!!!!!!!!!!

good luck everyone go and enjoy it dont get too bogged down with assessements and plans

angela

Hi all.

I too have mixed feelings regrds the EYFS hitting us............. mainly because it seems to me that we just get used to one thing and then along comes something else.......... we will get used to this, never remember what it was like before EYFS and then it will all change again.

I don't mind change.

Truly.

But sometimes change for changes sake.....................

Anyway from reading the posts on this thread I wanted to say that I tutor an NVQ level 3 childrens learning and developemnt course one evening per week, and its my opinion that these changes have hit some childminders the hardest.

I have worked with some doing it purely for the love of the children and the fact they have children of thier own at home and the language of the EYFS is foreign to them!

In early years settings I am hopeful that most of us will be doing most of the EYFS anyway..... it just needs some tweaking.

Whatever we do or don't think about it all, its here........

Back to work for me tomorrow and we will see how it fits in with real life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something for the staffroom wall?

Don't have the luxury of a staffroom, LJW but thanks very much for these - I will incorporate them into my inset day training on Monday!

Maz

Well I woke up this morning to Radio 4 and a very irritating woman from a montessori nursery who was banging on about the unsuitability of it and these 69 milestones that are impossible for young children to achieve - I mean how can they possibly know about everyday technology by the age of 5 etc etc etc......now I've spent time today in the office counting every bit of the eyfs and the nearest I can get to is 72 ELGs - can someone please point out the blindingly obvious thing that they are referring to? It's also mentioned in one of those booklets for press or parents. It must be the ELGs but it doesn't add up or I'm counting wrongly!!!!!

Anyway - the BBC had no other POV to counter this depressingly negative opinion which I thought was V bad of them.

I love:

Children having to go outside

Being able to say Reception is in the Early years (even if the rest of the Early years world seems to be ignoring the fact - It's annoying me intensely too Marion!!)

Being officially OUT OF THE NATIONAL CURRICULUM - Do you hear that oh litcos/numcos HTs......................................YOU WILL HAVE TO LEARN ABOUT EYs CURRICULUM AND NOT TRY TO MAKE US DO THE NC COS IT'S THE ONLY ONE YOU KNOW (Shouting that bit cos they can't often hear that message that easily - sorry to any EYs litcos etc)

Knowing that child developement is back in fashion! Hurrah!!

Oh happy day!!

Cx

Don't know if this will make Catma and Marion feel any better but I have always been proud to say to parents that I, in a preschool setting was following the same curriculum as Reception teachers.

Catma, You are an insiration to all EY professionals, I really hope the HT's LISTEN to what you are saying (and don't just say they hear what you are saying :o )

Marion, You've always inspired me as a real advocate for the true meaning of early years, I just know that you will not let any people who have an incorrect perception of the EYFS make you do anything other than what is appropriate for your children. Just remember the DCSF quote "These milestones are laid

out to give those working with children some

guidance and to help them to identify if a child

may be having problems (there is no obligation

that children have to reach any particular standard).

I know you help each individual child reach his/her potential in a fun, child centrered approach.

Peggy

Peggy

I'll have a go at putting my bits and bobs in the Resources section. Thank you for the reminder.

I'm going to attach another very useful document which I mentioned in a post the other day when we were discussing the new TES site. I know lots of you don't like it but I found an excel document that when you enter the children's names and dates of birth, then calculates which EYFS age range they are in, in months! Just remember to use a slash as in 'xx/xx/xx' for entering the dates of birth cos I forgot and couldn't get it to work for a while, lol! Please note all credit for this goes to someone who posted it on the TES site. I'm not going to put it in the Resources section unless a wiser person than me says its ok!

Edited by Guest
Removal of attachment

Guest tinkerbell

I too have mixed feelings about the EYFS as I teach R/yr1...I only have 5 yr1 and they are the younger ones so am quite strong enough to defend my stance on giving the yr1 more play and what they need!

However its all catch 22 the EYFS training has double standards,it isn't continous provision when we have to do a daily phonics,guided reading,guided writing etc etc...

Tinkerbellx

I teach reception and have always acknowledged the importance of child initiated activiities and have built time into each day for this though not the amount now required. I am concerned about satisfying all parties, i.e. head teacher and school expectations, parents expectations of what their child should be doing at school and actually still fitting in phonics, assemblies, playtimes (have to be same as KS1 not enough staff to cover duties otherwise!!) etc. as well as child initiated , observations (on my own most of the time with 25 children) keeping the records and so on!! I've sorted out my planning, got my learning journey files in place and in theory I'm ready but have to say still very apprehensive!

Thanks LJW I will go off to print them ready for the morning.

I am now feeling apresenive (sp) about tomorrow, still haven't photocopied everything for work, ran out of time and couldn't find any of the stuff I did. Must be at work in the filing cabenit.

I have a feeling I will end up at 8 am just to get everything sorted before setting up time at 8.30 am.

Beth

Hi LJW -

Thanks for these - however, I've had to remove the TES attachment as we can't really post attachments downloaded from other sites without specific permission from the original author. The best thing to do if you don't mind, is to put a link through to this resource so that FSF members can access it directly. :o

Thank you Steve for sorting this out. If anyone is interested just go to tes.co.uk and once you have registered do a search under EYFS. Its about 3 pages in! Sorry for the slip up.

If anyone is interested just go to tes.co.uk and once you have registered do a search under EYFS.

Good job I downloaded it before Steve removed it then! I can't be dealing with registering with another Forum: feels a bit like adultery.

Maz

PS: not that I'd know what adultery feels like. Obviously. :o

Don't know if this will make Catma and Marion feel any better but I have always been proud to say to parents that I, in a preschool setting was following the same curriculum as Reception teachers.

Catma, You are an insiration to all EY professionals, I really hope the HT's LISTEN to what you are saying (and don't just say they hear what you are saying :o )

Marion, You've always inspired me as a real advocate for the true meaning of early years, I just know that you will not let any people who have an incorrect perception of the EYFS make you do anything other than what is appropriate for your children. Peggy

Peggy, that is really lovely of you to say so - I think I'm getting there with the HTs, they all seem to be requesting our servces through their SIP reports so we must be doing something right!!!! I do feel that the needs of Reception classes wasn't ever really fully addressed or thought through because it would mean dismantling so much other legislation that it was politically expedient to let sleeping dogs lie. Ratios is the one that REALLY bugs me!

Cxx

Something for the staffroom wall?

Thanks for that. I cant remember either, but I know I'not the only one. Getting the laminator out to laminate these thanks again 0258

Peggy, that is really lovely of you to say so - I think I'm getting there with the HTs, they all seem to be requesting our servces through their SIP reports so we must be doing something right!!!! I do feel that the needs of Reception classes wasn't ever really fully addressed or thought through because it would mean dismantling so much other legislation that it was politically expedient to let sleeping dogs lie. Ratios is the one that REALLY bugs me!

Cxx

In another post 'new' EPPE report shows the importance of ratio's.

Peggy

So now Beverley Hughes is writing a monthly column in Nursery World. Quite interesting, and one quote about the perceived increased bureaucracy I found particularly so - and thought it might spark off our discussion in a different direction:-

It will not require endless bureaucracy. The only written record that is required is the EYFS, and that is no change on what happens already.

So when Mrs O asks to see our observations can we just show her the article? :o

I was quite disappointed that Nursery World haven't provided an email address so that we can ask her questions.... xD

Maz

Maz perhaps the forum should offer her a free subscription to the Forum so that she can see for herself how dedicated and tired we Early Years Practitioners are, anonymous if she wishes! But I fear her interest is purely political and not our welfare or even that of the children.

Maz perhaps the forum should offer her a free subscription to the Forum so that she can see for herself how dedicated and tired we Early Years Practitioners are, anonymous if she wishes! But I fear her interest is purely political and not our welfare or even that of the children.

Actually, Deb I was thinking more along the lines of making it a condition of her post as Minister that she spends an hour a day on here 'listening' to what goes on in the real world! :o

Actually, Deb I was thinking more along the lines of making it a condition of her post as Minister that she spends an hour a day on here 'listening' to what goes on in the real world! :o

I fully support that

killowengirl

Hear, hear - maybe she'd become addicted like the rest of us!

We the undersigned challenge Beverley Hughes to spend one hour on this, our beloved Forum and lifeline, every day so that she can continually develop professionally and be informed!

Deb

Maz - perhaps she is already a member and we do her an injustice! Is there anyone called Bezza or Ministers are us?

Actually I've just had a thought. Perhaps she's here already? Which one of us do you think could be her? xD

Bit like a high-tech version of "Where's Wally?" :o

Maz

Just what I needed a good laugh after the week I am having. I am struggling to get funding for courses which my staff are on, but because we only open less than 4 hours I cannot access any decent funding for the staff who need qualifications as required in the EYFS. Feels like a case that sessional preschools don't really exist in the real world so fund yourselves!

Sorry Rant Over.

Beth

xD:(:( Maz, what a great idea, surely she could access free through her local LEA scheme, if they are registered with us?

Beth1-Sorry to here your difficulties re: funding, hopefully next week will bring good news from somewhere, maybe give CWDC a ring and ask their advice. :o

Hope you at least feel better for your rant. :(

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)