Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maternity Leave

Hi there i am pregnant and have just started informing my minded childrens parents. I have only been childminding for 2 years so am not clued up on how everything works when your a childminder as previous to doing this i have always worked in nurserys so when i had my 2 boys maternity leave was simple to work out. I wondered when people normally work up till and how long they have off and how maternity pay etc works. I dont really suffer with pregnancy and feel i can keep going till i give birth and straight after i feel ok usually so i don't really want to take too much time off or loose the parents i have. My minded childrens parents are already asking what they obviously need to do as terms of how long i will have off and if they need to find someone else. So i would appreciate any advice thanks.

I'm not sure what pay you will be entitled to as you are self-employed - I think that Maternity Allowance is similar to Maternity Pay which is what you would have had previously?

I worked up until two weeks before my baby was due and then she was 16 days overcooked, so I had 4 weeks off. Fortunately it was over Christmas, so hubby and friends were around to keep me from going insane! I would think that two weeks prior to due date is long enough and as far as how long after goes... you have to have two weeks compulsory I think but after that its up to you.

I'd make sure that I built in some contingency plans just in case baby arrives early or you don't feel ready to take children back again when you said - could you speak to other CMs to see if they have spaces or would be willing to go on an 'emergency list' for you to provide to your parents should you have to stop minding all of a sudden - I think that the parents would appreciate this. Being up front is the main thing to keep your parents happy and they are more than likley to come back even if they have to make alternative arrangements for a short time.

Oh, congratulations by the way!!

RB x

Thanks for a your messages. Thankfully my numbers have just dropped so i only have 2 parents at the mo. 1 of whom is really easy going and usually uses my friend who is a childminder when i am on holiday etc. But the other who is my one full time place is very protective and particular so takes the same time off as me as she is not happy leaving him with anyone else. She is the parent asking q's as she is panicking and wondered if finding someone else was something she would have to do as she is very particular she wants plenty of time to make sure she is happy with them. I explained i was not planning months off work and did not want to loose them. She really wants to stay with me and said she could save her holiday up. But i am unsure how long to take off. One thing is i need the money too.

Welcome to the Forum, juddster and congratulations!

Here's a link to the DirectGov website about maternity allowance and your rights as a self employed person.

I guess it is up to you to decide how much time you can/want to take off, but you can work for ten days during your maternity leave without jeopardising your maternity allowance. These are called 'keeping in touch' days, I think.

Good luck!

Maz

Congratulations!

Not a situation I've been in but I know it's covered in the NCMA handbook so may be worth having a look on the NCMA website.

Good Luck, hope you work it out with the family concerned.

Nona

just wanted to say a warm welcome to the forum and congratulations :o

Agree with others, do what's right for you and keep parents well informed. Maybe your parent who is panicking, you could introduce her to a 'fellow' childminder, so that she has time to get to know her prior to the due birth date. Some transitional plans / visits / meetings would enable her to feel more assured that you have her interests at heart (as well as your own).

Peggy

i had my baby in april and as i had paid my ni contributions i did get ma. I planned to work until day before planned section but i went into labour early, I took 2 weeks of for minded school aged children and took 4 weeks off for my under 2s this was because i was unable to pick them up as it was a section my little one's parent had nan come to stay for 4 weeks so all was ok.

i did lose one little one despite having another minder offering cover but it is swings and roundabouts

deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)