Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Me Spend Some Money!

I am back at work today but with some spectacular news!

My head has informed me that there is a big pot of money with EYFS's name on it but it has to be used for outdoor improvements and ICt only.

Had anyone got any fab ICT resources that they could reccomend?

OR any ideas to improve our outdoors? At the moment we have a few climbing frames and a grassy bank but the rest of the playground is free. We don't have patio door at the moment so that is going to be top on my list.

Wow that is fantastic news. I agree the first thing I would sort out was shelter, shade and storage. I would definatley try and visit some other settings to get some other ideas of how to use your space. I bought a fab wendy house and had a play boat made. Hope this is helpful. :o

I saw a shed in one school, that had been adapted to have a sandplay area in the main, retained behind something like a plank which the children stepped over to get to the sand. The first 2 feet was carpet tiled and had a box of wellies in it. The kids loved it, and used it rain or shine. No cat pooh either!!! I did learning support supply when Ofsted came and was timetabled to take some 'lively characters' to the sand shed (probably out of harm's way!!).

I would definitely get some all weather clothes so children could go out no matter what the weather.

wow fantastic :(

Don't be too envious, hali - remember we'll get news of ours this term! :o

Difficult to advise because I don't know much about your setting, Rufus - but you can never have enough storage for outdoors can you? Personally, I'd like to spend some money on outdoor resources from the Mindstretchers catalogue - here's the link if anyone is interested!

All I would say is spend some time planning before you spend - not only does it spread the enjoyment but you can then be sure you've spent wisely! xD

Enjoy,

Maz

Tell me, where did that money appear from? In our local authority there was a huge pot of money allocated for EYFS - ICT & outdoors but it was only for Day Nurseries and Preschools. Would be interested to kow if it's the same pot of money!

Maz, thanks for the link........some of the stuff is very expensive,BUT it has inspired me to go rooting around in my shed/boot sales/cheap shops!!

Rufus, we applied for money for outdoor stuff and ICT, our LEA decided we could have £1,500 but it has to be spent on ICT only.We had a letter from their play advisor,who tells us:

' for settings which only use the outdoors for restricted times in the day, they can either choose their times to coincide with shade or install a cheaper shop-style awning or put up a temporary shade, eg, gazebos.

Children can play outdoors without shelter in wet weather using wellies(£5-£7) and wet weather suits (approx £25 per suit).These are adequate and the children experience much better play opportunities through the weather.In some cases these can be supplied by the parents.Shelters for rain should only be considered where play is continually free flow.

Polcarbonate structures- these don't often halt UV rays and also magnify the heat even if providing shade.Retractable awnings for continual outside play are more suitable'

there was also some info about safety surfacing, basically saying it's a waste of money and unnecessary..........

Just enjoy spending the money!!

Tell me, where did that money appear from? In our local authority there was a huge pot of money allocated for EYFS - ICT & outdoors but it was only for Day Nurseries and Preschools. Would be interested to kow if it's the same pot of money!

It sounds like the same money to me. The letter is from our LA stating that there is 7 Million to spend on the county's Early years outdoor provision. However it isn't just for day nurseries and pre schools. The only stipulation is that each item is over £2,500.

A man cam to measure up for patio doors today because we haven't got immediate access from the classroom. However, we have a ludicrously placed heating system so it won't work? Very disappointed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)