Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ensuring That Families Most In Need Benefit

HappyMaz

The Esme Fairbairn Foundation and Capacity Ltd have published some research into whether Children's Centres are meeting their objectives in reaching the most excluded families. They have been studying four centres who demonstrate models of best practice, and offer a critique of the methods used.

I haven't read it all, but one thing stood out: that a key to the success of the centres under discussion was the quality of the leadership and the knowledge and understanding of practitioners about the effects of poverty and disadvantage on both children and families. I quote:

"In all four centres, the expertise and depth of experience of those leading the work was very considerable and this was a critical factor in their extensive achievements. It would be difficult for any qualification to provide benefits comparable to this level of experience. In the wider roll-out of children’s centres, effective use of high-achieving centres could be made by utilising them in a consultancy role to others at an earlier stage of development."

Here's the link if you'd like to look at it yourself (44 pages). I'll be interested to see if they suggest that Children's centres work more closely with groups in the PVI sector to pass on good practice...

Maz

Sorry haven't had time to read it yet but thanks for the link. Our CC opens at the end of the month and we are offering childcare in partnership with a PVI setting who are providing the staff but overseen by our nursery teacher. I'm not sure how it will work in practice or where it leaves our FSU if I'm honest :o

Here's the link if you'd like to look at it yourself (44 pages). I'll be interested to see if they suggest that Children's centres work more closely with groups in the PVI sector to pass on good practice...

Maz

Whoops! forgot MY post!!

We are linked with a Children's Centre, a new thing locally, and I'd be happy to let you know our experience, Maz.

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)