Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nvq3 By 2010?

I've just been speaking to Ofsted and they are saying that by 2010 all childminders will need to have an NVQ3 to be able to continue minding. This is something which I don't want to do as I am hoping to retire within the next 5-10 years so I asked if there would be any allowances made for this but I need to speak to an Ofsted Inspector when I have my next inspection.

I've just been speaking to Ofsted and they are saying that by 2010 all childminders will need to have an NVQ3 to be able to continue minding. This is something which I don't want to do as I am hoping to retire within the next 5-10 years so I asked if there would be any allowances made for this but I need to speak to an Ofsted Inspector when I have my next inspection.

Yes they are encouraging new and old childminders to complete the homebased childcare deploma which is a level three.But are they going to provide the training fees too !!

Edited by Guest

Yes they are encouraging new and old childminders to complete the homebased childcare deploma which is a level three.But are they going to provide the training fees too !!

I would expect that Childminders should be able to access the Local Authority's bursary funding in the same way that setting-based practitioners can - assuming this is available in every Borough and not just ours!

Anything less would be discrimination of the highest order! I'll be interested to see how this plays out... :o

Maz

I heard a few years back that by 2010 or 2012 ALL childminders will need to have a Level 3 - I wasn't sure whether it was going to be a National or Welsh requirement or indeed if it was just a rumour started to encourage more childminders to undertake the Diploma in Home-based Childcare.

Ray, I managed to get partial funding for Units 2, 3 and 4 which meant I was able to pay a reduced amount. Fortunately, for unit 5 I received full funding so didn't have to pay a penny towards it. My local NCMA office and Network Co-ordinator arranged it all.

Guest jane707

The revisions to the eyfs in May state that level 3 will be expected by 2015 - except for childminders.

We are being left behind and pushed to the bottom of the pile yet again.

Sadly RCM's are often last on the list when it comes to funding.

I was fortunate enough to get funding from the GLF to start my FD in September but only after it had been offered to children's centres, day nurseries and pre-schools!

Thankfully for me the take-up was poor in Dudley and we childminders were offered what funding was left - apparently they have to spend it all as they can't carry it forward to next year and if they don't spend it all they'll get reduced funding next time around!

I've got enough to cover my tuition fees for 3 years and am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be extra funds available towards books etc :o

Nona

I spoke to Ofsted about this again the other day and they said that childminders need to have completed (or must have started the course) by 2010. They also said that there will be NO exceptions or allowances.

I did consider not doing it and to resign instead but I've decided to give it a go and I was lucky enough to get funding.

good luck from me too,

i was scared to go bk into learning but it was funded so what di i have to lose,

glad i did now because funding has stopped at level 2,

funding might go bk to level3 when Ofsted say its a requirement if not there will be loads of CM'S Leaving

i mean how much is Level 3 £2000 or so?

x

Thank you all :)

I phoned our local college and they charge £600 but as I was lucky enough to get funding I didn't have to worry about the cost.

I hate to sound as if I am touting for business but NVQ 3 CCLD is FREE if you go through certain training providers. I am gutted at the amount of money I have given out to colleges in tuition fees over the past few years as a nursery owner. I decided a few months ago my vocation is passing on my skills and so am now employed as a trainer/assessor. The government have given certain providers funding to deliver at levels 2/3 for free. Level 4 is payable. I live in the North East but if you can PM me I can put you in touch with a regional assessor for the company I work for. I am sure people are thinking this is not right but believe me when I say it is FREE. Level 2 can take 8 months with the full apprenticeship at 18/24 months at levels 2/3.

When colleges say there is a fee you are paying for the trainer/assessor. We come to you and there is no need to attend college.

My local college is charging 450.00 for level 3.but HONESTLY you do not have to pay a penny for it as certain providers are being funded through Train to gain and LSC. please just contact me and do not part with any money!!!!

I cannot say who I work for but my local authority has just changed ALL their students to the apprenticeship system.

I have been a member of this forum since 2006 and will not give false info!!!

Sadiesmith, thanks for that! I know a lot of RCM's are worried about the cost of training and will happily pass on your details to those not able to get funding.

Nona

The requirement for childminders to have a level 3 qualification by 2010 is for those childminders who work with three other childminders when providing childcare.

This is set out in the guidance 'Childcare on Domestic and Non Domestic Premises', which is on the Ofsted website along with all the other guidance of the new childcare registers inc Early Years register.

At present there is not a requirement for childminders on the Early Years register to have a level 3. If there was I think we would lose some very experienced, good childminders - (who don't want to study).

However prospective childminders will have to demonstrate that they understand and will be able to meet the welfare and learning and development requirements as set out by the EYFS - this may encourage those newly registered childminders to gain a level 3 qualification.

It must also be recognised that a motion passed at a NCMA AGM a few years ago, and set out in the NCMA manifesto was to ask the government to require childminders to obtain a level 3 qualification within 5 years of registration. - Not sure what has happened to that - does anyone have an update?

I would just like to encourage childminders to gain a qualification - at level 3 as you work on your own! Hopefully we can narrow the gap and be recognised for the unique child care that we deliver.

Just another thought, if Ofsted inspectors are not clear on who has to have a level 3 - here we go for a shaky first wave of inspections! :o

Thank you Rosie :)

I am still confused though. Can someone explain to me what Ofsted mean by their reply to my email when I asked again about childminders having the NVQ3 by 2010. This was their reply "the qualification is only required for Childcare on Domestic Premises, not for Childminders." ? :o

Thank you Rosie :)

I am still confused though. Can someone explain to me what Ofsted mean by their reply to my email when I asked again about childminders having the NVQ3 by 2010. This was their reply "the qualification is only required for Childcare on Domestic Premises, not for Childminders." ? :o

Is the difference to do with whether a childminder is part of a network, providing EYFS (recieves NEG) or childminds without receipt of NEG, and maybe older children only?

Peggy

To my understanding Childcare on domestic premises is the new term for when there are three or more childminders working on the same premises.

have just found this on teacher .net.

Early-Years Foundation Stage: Important transitional arrangements affecting childminders operating as a group from the same premises.

Section 96 (5) of the Childcare Act 2006 stipulates that from September 2008, if at any time more than three people are involved in providing childcare together on the same domestic premises, such provision must be registered as 'other early-years provision' rather than childminding. The EYFS requires that, in registered early years provision other than childminding, all managers and supervisors must hold a level 3 qualification and half of all other staff must be qualified to level 2.

In order to give sufficient time to those who are currently registered as childminders to gain the relevant qualifications, the regulations are currently being amended allow a transitional period until March 2011 during which time such providers will not be required to meet the qualification requirements for other early-years provision. Until they meet the relevant qualifications, they will be required to operate according to the ratio requirements for childminders set out in section B of Appendix 2 to the Statutory Framework.

Published: 07 July 2008

Though I was under the impression that all childminders had to have a level 3 by 2010 :o !!!!!!!!only time will tell !!!!

Thanks for all your advice everyone.

Though I was under the impression that all childminders had to have a level 3 by 2010 :o !!!!!!!!only time will tell !!!!

So was I. It's confusing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)