Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tattoos

HappyMaz

Hi there

I've just been asked by a friend who is planning to get a tattoo how I would feel if one of my staff had a visible tattoo. My initial reaction was that it would depend on what is was and where it was.

I wondered if any of you have strong opinions about practitioners who have tattoos - or piercings come to that? I know from a Forum search that some of you have tattoos - are you asked to cover them up at work? How do you handle children's questions about what they are and how they got there (I'm forever being asked what that writing is on my hand when I write myself a little note for later!).

All thoughts and comments gratefully received!

Maz

I have quite a few staff who have visible tattoos but these are tasteful and I do not insist that they cover them up, piercings I have different feelings on as these can be a H&S risk with the childrenh pulling on them etc so we tend to ask that all staff ensure piercings are not accessible for the children, I have a tattoo myself and my own personnel view is that I keep it covered up at work but that is just me with the staff tattoos we explain to the children that they are like the transfers that they put on eg spiderman but these do not wash off in the bath and are for grown up's only.

OK,

Yes! Guilty as charged with the notes on the hand(s) - how far up your arm do you go?? I usually get to halfway between wrist and crook of elbow..... enough of such weird stuff!!

Tattoos don't bother me at all (yes, I have tattoos, 3 - considering more, also piercings.) Many of our parents have both, so I really don't see a problem, particularly as many high profile folk sport both! I have never been asked to cover up, but my only obviously visible one is a rather nice butterfly (wimpy, I hear you cry!!). The children think I love our butterflies so much I had a picture put on my shoulder - suppose they're not far wrong!!

We have a head of room with very visible but small facial piercings, never a complaint to my knowledge, so I do begin to wonder where the fuss is coming from. I have witnessed more panic over 'lovebites' on staff by management in the past than tattoos, so am fairly laid back on this one.

And, yes, many staff have them, not required to cover and so far, no complaints.

Although I do not have any tattoos yet, the policy where I work is that they must be covered up. Not sure why, as long as they are not offensive I do not think the stigma that used to be applied to tattoos is appropriate now.

I have a tatto which I do keep covered whilst at work, not sure why as it is only a dolphin. we do not have a policy on this and a number of my staff do have piecings and tatoos which are not covered and as has been mentioned here we have not ever had a complaint in the 15 years thta i worked in the setting

I also think they are fine, haven't got a tattoo myself, or piercings other than 3 holes in each ear. My mum in law got her first tattoo aged 65, a small tiger on her upper arm. xD

I recall seeing a man with about 50+ piecings on his face, at first I thought UGH, then looking closer the rings were placed in a symmetrical pattern and I thought, well he's expressing himself (not sure what he was saying) and in essence it is a sort of art form.

Now a swastika (spl) on the forhead or such like, I'm not so sure.

As for the children, what to say, just tell them the truth. :o:(

Peggy

Happy with the response so far, Maz, do you think it will help your friend?

Well a little update. We went to the tattoo parlour together this morning and now we are both proud owners of tattoos! :o

She opted for one on the side of her foot (the theory being that it would be covered by her shoes even if she didn't wear tights. Unfortunately that plan backfired because it is clearly visible. However, it is very pretty and delicate and I can't see it causing any offence. Mine is so discreet that no-one has noticed it in more than 12 hours - so I'm waiting to see who will notice it first!

My friend was momentarily concerned because she has just accepted a new job but we talked about it (admittedly on the way to the tattoo place!) and we both agreed that so long as it wasn't offensive or scary, it would be fine. She can always come and work for me if her boss objects! xD

Thanks for your advice and comments!

Maz

i am the proud owner of two tattoos a dolphin and an angel, the dolphin is only visible when i wear a low backed/shoulder top the childrne have asked me why and what it is when they have seen it and i have toild them the truth i have never been asked to cover it up or had any complaints the children are much more interested at the brown spots i have on the back of my neck ha ha .

Tattoos arent all that bad as what used to be said in the past mroe and more people are having them. although i think i would object if someone had vulgar signs or symbols on their arms and legs

Don't keep us in suspense...what did you have?

Well. Its not really a picture or anything - it is an oval shape with tiny coloured beads (a bit like a bracelet) inside my left wrist. The beads are in my favourite colours (orange and purple) with the biggest bead in green because that was my mum's favourite colour and by pure coincidence yesterday was the 28th anniversary of her death. The tattoo is an affirmation that I am a survivor, and that I can cope with whatever life throws at me - which is why it is on my wrist so that I can see it without embarrassing myself in public!

awaiting the pic Happymaz xD

Perhaps we should have a gallery! :o

sounds good.....and it's all the better because it means something to you.Mine was chosen after a long hard thinking session and I came up with a circular dragon, holding its tail in its mouth (circle of life...), in the centre of which is a triskelion (three legged figure), as a continuous journey,which my life is, of course, the whole thing is done in celtic knotwork, for my celtic ancestry,(Scottish and Irish) and the dragon is my chinese birth year symbol too........all together, it was my amulet, my mystical charm, to ward off evil and bring me a long life.I had a very close call on the death front a couple of years ago, which obviously, I survived, so maybe it worked?!! Oh, and better still, hubby paid for the tattoo work to be done!

Edited by narnia

They do say tattoo's are addictive, so if a tattooing addiction gets as strong as your fsf addiction Maz, you'll be covered head to toe by next year :oxD

Peggy

They do say tattoo's are addictive, so if a tattooing addiction gets as strong as your fsf addiction Maz, you'll be covered head to toe by next year :oxD

Perhaps I'll get the fsf logo next Peggy: my equivalent of the elusive metal pin badge... :(

Talking of stomachs, I had my navel pierced YEARS ago, and it has rejected, been re-pierced and rejected several times, so in the end I gave up and had a tattoo instead.

I now have an exotic flower around my navel - it was the most uncomfortable of my tattoos, but I wouldn't be without it. Shame I no longer wear bikinis, no one ever sees it.....

I have a slightly different experience on this, when i was 18 i was very ,,,,,,rebellious and went through a very difficult stage in my life which included having tattoos some are not visible and to be honest I forget I have them but others I have (4 small ones) are always on show no matter what I do.

when I eventually grew up and started work I never dreamed that one day I would be a manager the children accept the tattoos as a part of who i am i have had comments over the years...the one that has always stuck in my mind was the little girl who sat next to at circle time and said " did your mummy smack you for writing in pen on your hand?" but I do feel very self concious of them when I am somewhere in an official capacity. I have noticed people looking and commenting at workshops, training courses, if I am representing the nursery at something 'posh' it often surprises people that I have a degree, (i don't know why?)

When I was talking to our development worker I was trying to explain why I have no confidence to go out and apply for other jobs... the truth is my tattoos would put me off employing me as a manager if I were to apply for a job at the nursery because they can't be covered.

ps Maz yours sounds good ...and for the right reasons :o

Edited by Guest

you could handle it..........................it's uncomfortable, but, tbh the adrenalin kicks in and it's not so bad xD:o so go for it!! My next one is going to be a humble bumble bee, but i have to find the right design and the right artist, I don't want it to end up looking like a bruise!!

I know we're all different, but I'm sure you could handle it! My first was at the top of my right leg and it was more like a tickle than anything else. It was really hard to keep still!

It's a lovely seahorse, if you're interested, which is something special between my husband and myself, going back years, so another with a meaning!

MAZ!!!! Im shocked and i can guess who put you up to it ! :(:(:( ive only been gone 2 weeks and look whats happened!!!!!!! xD :rolleyes: xD:o

I probably shouldn't mention the nose piercing then, hali! :wacko: