Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

No Outdoor Shoes Policy

Hi All

Can anyone help me with an example of a No Outdoor Shoes Policy please. We move into a brand new building soon which includes a babyroom and the manager has asked me to produce and implement one, to ensure the flooring remains hygenic for the children.

I would be really grateful for any feedback and ideas of how to produce a policy and also examples of any problems we may encounter implementing it.

With a great deal of thanks in advance

Minx

Hi Minx and welcome.

Ive no experience of such a policy but I have worked in a school on supply where the children changed their outdoor shoes and it presented no problems in operation. Children changed their shoes before entering the classrooms and when going outside. Children were always very competent!

Can you not just simply state we have a policy of not wearing outdoor shoes in the building to maintain hygiene and cleanliness standards within the building. Children will need soft shoes to wear in the building?

At my children's nursey they have signs outside the baby rooms saying no outdoor shoes and they sent a letter out requesting that children came with their slippers to wear in the rooms. I do think it is hard though as a parent to always take your shoes off before you go into the room when you are juggling children bags etc and trying to get out as quickly as possible!

Hi All

Can anyone help me with an example of a No Outdoor Shoes Policy please. We move into a brand new building soon which includes a babyroom and the manager has asked me to produce and implement one, to ensure the flooring remains hygenic for the children.

I would be really grateful for any feedback and ideas of how to produce a policy and also examples of any problems we may encounter implementing it.

With a great deal of thanks in advance

Minx

we abandoned changing into pumps/indoor footwear when ofsted critised how much of the day was wasted or 'teaching hours lost' changing on arrival,after outside play,lunchtime etc....minutes add up and but they did saywe could extend the day to cover it.Best thing we ever did.

I can understand in a baby room you would want to change to keep flooring clean but no floor is hygienic

We don't have such a policy but then we also don't have a babyroom. Our children change into plimsoles in the corridor before coming into our room but this is more for comfort and safety rather than hygiene (except in our fight against dog mess!!!)

I must confess we do not ask the children to change again every time they go outside. This would be an incredible waste of time.

Anyway a warm welcome both to Minx and to KateKeaveny. Hope you enjoy the forum and find lots of answers to your questions. :o

Thankyou everyone for your suggestions and feedback, you've been a great help. The children and staff will be wearing slippers and parents and visitors will be asked to put shoe covers on before entering the baby room so notices on the door as a reminder is a very good idea.

Thanks again

Minx

Welcome to the Forum, Kate Keaveny and Minx.

(Most of) our children change into indoor shoes before registration starts (when their parents help them) and then to go outside. It does take time, but helps foster their independence. Wanting to get outside is a good motivator for most children, although obviously we have to help the youngest children until they develop the necessary skills... :o Interesting about Mrs Ofsted saying it was a waste of time...

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)