Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How Is Everyone Doing With Getting Ready For Sept And Eyfs

I am not sure if this is the right thing to ask as I might be 'opening a can of worms' but here goes anyway.

I just wondered how everyone was doing with September looming, are you all ready, happy and confident with your preparations for the EYFS?

I think we are ready(slight hesitaion there) or as ready as we can be until are working within it and maybe tweeking anything we need to. Just working our way through our continuous provision (with the forums help!) to make sure we have covered all areas etc.

I will be interested to hear how everyone else is feeling. :o This is in case I need a helmet for protection!!

We are pretty much ready. We trialled our planning sheets, observation sheets etc in July, there will be the usual tweek and re tweek until I am completely happy with them. My policies and proceudres are continuously up for review and I am pretty sure I have covered all bases. I have to train the rest of the staff on the new Learning Journeys the first day back (training day).

The only thing I haven't done yet is the SEF. This is something I am going to do in September when I am back at work and have the rest of the staff for ideas/brain storming sessions. If OFSTED truned up on the 1st day back I would be more concerned about the 36 new starters we have!! :o

Well after changing the planning twice already, our local LEA has given us a planning format which I will use. I have a basic idea but will be going on the course in September to fully understand it. It is based around the Possible lines of development (PLOD) through observations, so this will be fun. I have the long term plan done, so all that needs doing is carrying out observations durning the first week back to find out children's interest. The other thing I need to do is the curriculum policy, which will be fun as I will be updating my knowleage during the year so I may just tweek it for the time being and review at the end of the FD course in June next year.

As Shiny said about the new starters, I am too more bothed about this and new staff starting at the same time. Planning can fit in and around using the observations and PLODs.

Beth

Any chance of a cheeky peek at the PLOD planning format?

Emmm sorry its not online and its all paper based I'm afriad and both my scanners are not working proberly (yes I have 2 printers all in one!).

I will try to describe it:

Basicly it is on a A4 paper and it is a small ciricle in the middle and a large one around the outside. I am still learning but I think we are ment to write the topic in the middle and activities based around the 6 areas of learning i.e. PSE, CLL, PSRN etc. These can be used for both groups and individuals. I am planning to observe so we can plan for 2-3 weeks per half term and use am planning on using the indiviual ones if needed.

We also have observerations that we will do half termly, hopefully we will have 2-3 groups per half term for the child lead planning. We will also be doing smaller snapshot observations too, just need to find the paperwork and put it all together in the last week of the summer holidays as I need the printer at work.

I hoped that helped.

Beth

Again this is all work in process. Still need tweeking in the first few weeks of term.

We are having a meeting between my 2 nurseries next week to see how things are progressing and then I am going to ask Kate Reed to come in and have a look. Ofsted are looming for both settings so dreading it a bit. have not even had time to think about SEF but I am same I am more worried about that than EYFS. Has anyone done theirs? Could we have a look?

Think it will be ok when I just get the time. I have sat at this computer since 9 this morning catching up with NVQ assessments I had outstanding. TIRED!!!!

I am honestly thinking about not going on with my degree as I just do not know how I can fit it in. I keep asking myself at 51 do i REALLY REALLY need a degree? Might feel better when everything else sorts itself out.

Well I think we are ready, as a preschool with children 2-4 years we have been juggling b23 the FS it will be nice that all the children will be working around one document instead of the two.

I'm glad to see the profile/record keeping change to the learning journey we started them last term and the children love to see their photos and "work" in their folders,

we are now going through the operational plan and checking the changes, but Rome wasnt built in a Day!!!

I dont expect we will be perfect for the first day of term but its not a test I doubt there will be an early years advisor or oftsed inspector on my door step checking everything is perfect the first day of term so Im not going to stress over it

Well I wasnt panicking before - well not too much but not I am. It seems alot of people hae already been trialing the new EYFS already , not us Im afraid so we will be starting off with it in September but still not clear myself! HELP How are you all doing it? Do you have Long term plans , meduim term plans ?

smiles

planning_to_respond_pc_copy.doc

It sounds like most people are in a similar position to us, I had 'forgotten' (well trying to) about the SEF it is sitting on my table un opened so far. We have worked through a welfare ordit given by our LA and an inclusion one is sitting there un opened yet too I supose they had better be part of todays jobs!

I have attached (well hopefully as it is the first time I have tried) the PLOD sheet we were given by our LA.

We will do this approx 2weeks in to the term,the key people having observed their children, then the childrens interests and identified next steps will lead the planning.

We have been trying this way for a while and it works really well the only 'challenge' we have with it is that a lot of our resources that arn't in use are stored away from the setting as we have very limited storage on site thus can make it difficult to respond as quickly as I would like.

PLODS_1_.doc

Can I ask what a" planning to respond doc "is I cant open word pad on my computor so miss out on some bits

As I think Ofsted will pay me a visit any time, we started trialing planning for EYFS in June. we all have the idea now and it works for us

We have long term plans ie festivals Very loose themes

and short term (no medium now )childrens interests from obs

I have down loaded SEF but not started it I have e mailed My EY to ask if I am to have these in place for my Sept inspection but as yet no reply

I have up dated policies and continous provision sheets We also have PLODS started

Started going through mu ops plan yesterday

Can I ask what a" planning to respond doc "is I cant open word pad on my computor so miss out on some bits

Rosina.. you say you cannot open documents, have you tried Open Office Free software to download which opens word documents, I use it all the time now.Worth a try so you don't miss out.

Inge

Emmm sorry its not online and its all paper based I'm afriad and both my scanners are not working proberly (yes I have 2 printers all in one!).

Beth it sounds like the one they use at Pen Green - I did my own version but its in Microsoft Publisher which I can't attach. Basically you write the topic in the middle, and then identify the possible lines of direction/development for each area of learning, with space to write in what resources you need. There's a box for the child's name and date of birth.

If anyone would like me to I (and if they have Publisher :o ) I can email it instead (pending Steve's awaited words of wisdom about why Publisher files can't be uploaded as requested on another thread recently!).

Maz

xD I think (hope!) I'm nearly there. Thank goodness it's school holidays & my 13 yr old daughter is on hand for laminating, making up scrapbooks & providing tea/coffee! Bless her!

I seem to have generated a mountain of stuff needing printing and/or photocopying which is a major expense to childminders! Again, I've been very fortunate and have been able to get it done by a parent I childmind for (who works for an office supplies company - I pick my clients carefully :o )

Having been inspected last November I'm VERY grateful that Ofsted aren't looming for me and plan to have a thorough read of the Inspection reports posted on the Ofsted site in September/October and tweaking my stuff, if necessary.

I, too, have looked at my SEF and put it off for another day! Dudley are "thinking" about running a training session on completing your SEF in September - I'm pinning my hopes on that!

Nona

I have been told LEA probably doing session on filling in a SEF about November but that will probably be too late anyway. Its on my --List of urgent things to do---

nowhere near ready, i'm afraid,apart from having 'learning journey' books in place, which our lead teacher thought were great..........so I'mhaving next week off to plough through everything.Our LEA has given us NOTHING at all, and there's no training coming up soon....so, yes Maz, could i have a peek, please??

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)