Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Is Anyone Watching?

HappyMaz

I am watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics: its just mind blowing. I keep having to rewind to make sure I saw things properly :o Whatever the politics of it all, I'm sure there are many proud Chinese hearts beating a little faster at the magesty of it all - quite an act for London to follow!

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Amazing ...Just how does London follow that?

I'm not sure, Marion - 15,000 people took part apparently, and all choreographed and rehearsed to within an inch of their lives. I think real military precision is the answer - I loved the fact that a Scots pipe band is providing some of the music. :o

It was quite mind blowing wasn't it. I loved the simplicity and elegance of the painting finished off by the footprints of the athletes. That's art and philosophy, not just money. :(

Although clearly they have invested in some sophisticated IT kit to accomplish it all, Steve! :o

I found it all very emotional - but the only thing that spoiled it for me was Hazel Irvine's endless "lets have a joke about how funny these foreign names are" remarks. Oh, and the fact that she kept using all these puns that even I thought weren't funny! (which shows you how bad they were!) xD

I thought it was fantastic and I felt very emotional - I know there are problems- Tibet etc. but just to see all those people joining together and sharing in this experience was amazing. Surely something good was happening!

Oh no, I missed this spectacle and wish I hadn't now, is it repeated anywher?

You can watch it again on the iplayer, Peggy.

Or if you have freeview, there's a highlights programme on Channel 301 from midnight tonight!

It was very spectacular! All those syncronised group routines were fantastic. The one with the printing press, the guys doing Tai- Kwan Do (sp?) and those drums that lit up were great too.

Amazing!

Not a sports fan, narnia or for other reasons?

other reasons, including watching news of elderly people and other families, being thrown out of their homes, which were then bulldozed, to make way for Olympic buildings.No compensation and no question of arguing with their 'government',,,,,out they went, with nowhere to go.And yes, it was probably a wonderful, beautifully orchestrated ceremony.........god help anyone who fouled up and spoiled the day!........attempts to control the polluting smog by closing factories for weeks on end, and no pay for the workers? How much good would the 21 BILLION pounds spent on the event have helped their own people?? All to look good to the rest of the world?? No, thanks. And our own Olympic 'dream' will be just as bad I think, financially, at least. I suspect the TRUE meaning of the Olympics is being lost somewhere along the way....anyway, sorry rant over, just would stick in my throat to watch it...

I missed it but saw it on the news - absolutely amazing!!! Can't see how we could ever top that, but I hope we try!!

Narnia I understand and respect your reason for not watching tho - the way the Chinese treat their people is dispicable (sp?!) and you're right in saying it is losing something along the way, sadly.

I suspect the TRUE meaning of the Olympics is being lost somewhere along the way....anyway, sorry rant over, just would stick in my throat to watch it...

Don't apologise for holding your views, narnia. We live in a democracy, after all.

The commentary team on the BBC yesterday included the BBC's China correspondent who was on hand to point out all the countries who have 'quarrells' of one sort or another with China and was able to put the politics into perspective. It seemed to me that by doing this the BBC had decided to qualify their support of the opening celebrations somewhat.

I was listening to a radio 4 documentary "Crossing Continents" this week about the Chinese families whose houses had been demolished to make way for the new arenas and I was amazed by the fatalism shown by the families who were losing their old homes. Their attitude was that the Government is in charge, knows what it is doing and it would all be ok. There were spin off benefits too - families who have had to share bathrooms and kitchens with other residents for years were getting new apartments or houses with their own facilities. The journalist was not suggesting that all is sweetness and light, however: he spoke to some families who complained that they had still not received the promised compensation, and pointed out that those families who resisted the Government's decision got less compensation when they eventually agreed than those families who agreed at the offset.

Do you think we should have boycotted the games in protest at China's human rights record? I'm not sure where I stand on this issue - I know that for the athletes who have worked so hard for so long to reach the Olympics the chance to represent your country must be so important. I'm sure all of us could think of things we could do with the money that has been spent - but the arguments about funding and hosting the Games is so complex its hard to know which side of the fence to come down on.

Maz

while i understand how hard the athletes have worked to get where they are, i DO think we should have boycotted the games, I'm afraid. I hear arguments about how we bring the world closer by going, we open things up by going, we help the people by going..............I just can't see how this is true. And,the interviews i have seen showed people being dragged screaming from their homes and not given anywhere else to live.I have spoken too, to people from China, who say that they would never dare to criticise their unelected government, for fear of reprisals against their families. Also, I have actually met the Dalai Lama, a gentle soul who believes that one day, he will be able to go home..............I hope he's right. But If I had the chance to meet him again, i'm not sure I could look him in the eye as an honest person if i had sat and enjoyed the 'games' I guess i don't understand these oppressive regimes or why they are so afraid of freedom.........and maybe THAT'S at the root of my issue??We enjoy so many freeedoms the people of China are denied.Again, I'm sorry to have spoiled what essentailly was a thread about what was, apparantly a great spectacle.

Again, I'm sorry to have spoiled what essentailly was a thread about what was, apparantly a great spectacle.

I'm not well informed enough to know what the answer is really narnia - but I admire anyone with such firm convictions as yours. I know just what you mean about the arguments for an against us going (and in turn, as to whether Gordon Brown and others should attend). Ultimately I'm undecided: on the one hand I think it would take a total boycott for the Chinese to listen to worldwide opinion, and yet a part of me worries that we legitimise the regime by attending.

I do think that it is perfectly legitimate to voice these concerns - I think I did mention them (albiet obliquely) myself in my original post.

Maz

Well I went food shopping but saw it at 4pm and decided to watch something else then forgot to turn it over at 4.30pm just to watch the fireworks its the only thing I was interested in!

As for watching it for the next 2 weeks, I cannot be bothered and would rather do something else than watch it. I woundl't care but its on all day every day and they didn't even put anything else on bbc 2 during the day, so theres not much to watch on tv.

Beth

I think we can all share you concerns regarding China's human rights record, Tibet's occupation and the exile of the Dalai Lama and I am pleased that Gordon Brown did not attend the opening ceremony. I do agree with Maz that only a complete boycott would have any impact and even then I doubt if the ordinary Chinese citizen would be aware of the world's disapproval. I confess I watched all 4hrs+ of the opening ceremony and was totally awe struck at the spectacle.

Totally agree with narnia's comments. I also have a problem with knowing how much has been spent when the UN has just announced it cant afford to feed the poor because of the price of grain.

Other reasons...

Some of the people out there arent expected to do well. Why go then? I thought it was about the best competing against each other. And dont any of them tell me they are doing it for our country, they are doing for themselves.

American TV has decided when the some of the main swimming events will be so they can show them on prime time TV. This is allowed due to the amount of money they have put into the IOC.

There is a ban On any flags which arent for the official olympic team. So you can take a Union flag but not Welsh or Scottish. This is to stop the Tibetan flag been flown.

A boycott wouldnt be unheard of. Its happened before at the Olympics and against South Africa's apartheid regieme. Its all down to politics unfortunatley.

I didnt see any of the opening ceremony though due to spending 6 hours walking round 1 car dealership :o