Jump to content
Home
Forum
Join Us
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Microwave Ovens


Guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hope someone can help me

A question has arisen about whether or not we can use a microwave oven to warm children's food brought in from home. In the past we have used one to heat either food in jars or homemade food, but now we are not sure. :o

Does anyone know of any guidelines to using microwaves in nurseries?

Thank you

KJH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey there, we have a microwave oven at our Nursery and on several occasions have used it. We also record anytime we use it and use a prob to check the temperature of foods.

One of my staff has been attending food and nutrition courses and as far as I am aware it's not been an issue that has been raised.

Hope it helps!

 

Mich

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We use a microwave to heat food

But we will not heat up homemade food only food in jars or tins ect following the heating intructions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cant remember the exact reason for it but its something to do with the micro waves reacting with the melamime and (I think) doing something to the food. I did have a massive printout next to the microwave in one place I worked but when I moved on I foolishly left behind. I've just done a bit on surfing on the net and there are 2 schools of thought as you might expect 1 is its ok to use them and 1 is its not. The "not" school of thought says that the plastic can become soft and also very hot and continue to "cook" once out of the microwave. Personally I'm sticking to not using it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to use one for making the playdough :(

 

I do recall once mixing flour, water, salt and paint into a slightly runny consistency, the children squirted it onto card using washing up bottle containers and then drying the 'pictures' out in the microwave producing a dry fluffy like consistency on the card. :oxD

All handled by adults though until cool. :(

 

Once burnt the playdough in the microwave, stank for weeks after. :(

 

Peggy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cant remember the exact reason for it but its something to do with the micro waves reacting with the melamime and (I think) doing something to the food. I did have a massive printout next to the microwave in one place I worked but when I moved on I foolishly left behind. I've just done a bit on surfing on the net and there are 2 schools of thought as you might expect 1 is its ok to use them and 1 is its not. The "not" school of thought says that the plastic can become soft and also very hot and continue to "cook" once out of the microwave. Personally I'm sticking to not using it!

my sentiments exactly - i hate them - even though my sister bought me one for christmas last year :o - she felt sorry for my own children) At Nursery we warm food up for the children using the hob/cooker... even though a staff member provided a microwave for the setting!!!...I feel very scared about using them especially for children...and yes i can hear others saying 'well parents/carers use them at home'...well that's their choice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.and yes i can hear others saying 'well parents/carers use them at home'...well that's their choice

That's the key to it really toadie, isn't it: you're making these decisions on behalf of other people for their children. I know that food cooked in the microwave carries on cooking when it comes out (that's why the heating instructions often say you should leave it to stand and stir thoroughly before serving). Luckily for me we don't have to heat food for children - otherwise I'm not sure which side of the fence I'd come down on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lucky you Toadie having a cooker

We only have a microwave , so no choice

Although we have never had any problems using it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I quite happily use a microwave for heating children's own food brought from home............it's heated thoroughly, stirred to ensure heat is distributed throughout, left to stand for a minute or two and served up. All food brought from home is refridgerated the minute it arrives on our premises, and is labelled by the parents, with child's name , what is in the food, when it was made, where it has been stored since cooking and carrying to us and how long it has to be heated for. If it arrives unlabelled, i give parent a pen and sticky label and ask them to label and sign it for me, i tell them it's to protect us both, rather in the way they have to sign for medications........so there's no confusion about what they want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your replies - knew I could count on you for direction

When we used a microwave we did probe the food, record the temperature checking for hot spots etc and then cooled quickly as per food hygiene courses so hopefully as long as our food preparation policy covers all this we will be okay :o

Karen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)