Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Too Much Rain!

We had the most horrendous storm here yesterday tea time. It was like something they get in Florida with the rain lashing down and the wind blowing. I can honestly say I have never seen rain quite like it!!! So I decided to call into work this morning and lo and behold when I got there we were flooded :oxD It took my deputy and I the best part of 3 hours to clear it all out!

I just hope this rain clears up soon so that we can enjoy some good weather!!!

Linda

Oh, poor you!!! :o

We had a similar thing some years ago, when I was still at the playgroup. Our entire storage area, fortunately(??) outside, was flooded and it took AGES to get it sorted! We had to dump loads of stuff, something we could ill afford at the time. I hope you managed to save everything?

here's to some S-U-N :DxD

Sue :D

Thanks Sue for your kind words. This is about the 4th time this has happened. The last time the church added a new drain at the top of our steps and this had done the trick. But the weather was so freakish yesterday that I think we would have needed half a dozen drains!!

Fortunately we have only lost a couple of bean bags in the reading area, and they had seen better days so they were no great loss. It's all the wooden stuff like cupboards that worry me because they take an age to dry out. I can see I am going to have to keep popping in now just to make sure!!! :o Something I was trying to avoid!!

Linda

I popped into PG this morning, and dropped off some boxes i've been saving, (Dave was going bananas stepping over them!) and it was so nice just to 'smell' the hall! Now i know this sounds strange, but it was so comforting! i wanted to stay and 'do things', but i had a Drs appointment and had to go! am i mad? I think...... yes, i probably am! :oxD

yep Sue I'm raving mad! :o Dave is going back to work on the 23rd! he has been off since March, and it's going to be so, so hard for him to get back into the swing of things! But as luck would have it, he is back only a week, and he has two weeks holiday booked! How jammy is that! but i think he will need the holiday as i fear the week back at work would have tired him. he has a permanant limp now, which has really annoyed him, and he tries to disguise it!

We have decided to go to Cornwall to visit the Eden project, (can't wait!) before we head off to Cheltenham for the tattoo convention weekend. we want to stay in Padstow and visit Rick Steins cafe or restaurant while we are in Cornwall, as it looks so pretty there. Have you been here Sue? :)

The weather up here really has been yuk! I've not been upto work for about 3 weeks now and I'm off on holiday for 10 days on tuesday, so not something I'm planning on doing till I get back. However I think we'll be ok up there,as it's really high on the hills. However I've not had so much luck at home- I had a leak inside my house earlier in the week, although I'm broke so can't afford to get it looked at. it only happened one day when they rain was really bad (the day Linda was talking about and I don't live too far from her)so I'm hoping it was just a freakish thing and to do with the direction and power of the wind and rain!

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not at work. The thought of all those indoor playtimes are not something I would be wanting!

Trea,

I really hope you enjoy Eden!! My storyteller is situated in the Warm Temperate Biome, it might be worth checking on arrival as they 'perform' at certain times, although you won't miss the sound of his conch if you're there!! They have different storytellers, so it might not be the same one, but I've got a cd of some of them telling stories and they're all excellent! Richard Good is the one I've seen both times. That's if you're interested! xD

Padstow is lovely when it's not raining :o, but be careful if you park on the Harbour car park, as one false move and you're taking an early bath and car wash!! Boscastle is great too. There's a museum of Witchcraft and magic which is really worth a visit and a couple of GLORIOUS 'magicky' shops. I could go on, but time is finite :(

Dave has my sympathy, when I'm tired I limp too! He'll get used to it, but it's just another reminder that time is passing.... We had daughter's dog yesterday, although I can actually play with her now, it's frustrating to have to sit down frequently. Boy did I ache this morning!!

Must go, lots to do today! Have a lovely weekend, Dianne - whereabouts in Cornwall? And, Nichola, hope your leak was just a freak!

I spent the 0 - 18 years of my life not seeing what was good about Cornwall..........but I'm glad I can appreciate it now I'm older!! I'm off to see my mum down home for a few days.

If you're going to padstein (as it's sometimes known) then think about making a reservation first. I've heard it's often booked out solidly.

A great new thing is the new maritime museum in Falmouth.

Have fun

Cx :o

Hi catma!

A very dear friend of mine hails from Cornwall (Carbis Bay, St Ives). She is only half my age, but I love her loads! She too left 'Kernow' as soon as she could, not understanding how fantastic it is. We met at the Day Nursery where I used to work, after she'd been all over, including some time Repping for Thompson's. She couldn't understand my attitude to the place, as I couldn't understand hers("It's dead!!"). But last year, after a fairly trying period in her life, she left the job and 'went home for a bit'.

She is now the manager of a DN down there, and engaged to the loveliest chap you could ever hope to meet. At present, their home is in Truro, and she doesn't envisage ever moving away again. She has realised how close to paradise on earth her home county is.

And yes, I know I'm biased, but I stick by it!!! :o

Sorry to hear about the "Leaks" everywhere.

Fortunately on my hols we escaped the rain, can't quite understand how but we did- either arriving before or after it and now hoping the sun continues so that I can get my washing dry!!

Welcome back, it's lovely to hear from you again, Susan. :D Glad to hear you had a lovely holiday :(

To those of you to whom I had recommended Boscastle - SORRY xD:o What a terrible series of events! I can't believe such a lovely place has virtually gone! All my lovely shops, the friendly shopkeepers and my Museum!!! :( Not to mention the gorgeous scenery.

Sue

Haven't you gone yet Hali? xD

I'm feeling a little tired today as we had an almighty thunderstorm which rumbled on throughout the whole night. :( We ended up watching it out of the bedroom window for ages at 3 this morning as the girls had woken up and couldn't get off to sleep. The electricity was off most of the night too and then kept coming and going between 5 and 7 which meant my alarm didn't go off and I slept in. Then I had to drag the little ones out of bed at 8 as it was Vittys first day at school today. :( What a rush to get them ready and down to school in time! :o

Susan,

Wherabouts did you stay? Glad you managed to get good weather! :)

We were in Scotland!

Edinburgh, Aviemore, Fort William & Glasgow--although we escaped Glasgow in a hurry for a night in the Lake District.

Sorry any Glaswegians out there, we love towns & cities usually but just didnt gell there. Not helped by being in the noisest Travelodge ever, right underneath the M8!!! Perhaps a decent hotel would have made all the difference?

I have to say I was glad to be in California, all that sun, sun and more sun!!!!

We had no idea over the past 2.5 weeks what was going on, as the US have little interest in UK affairs!!!!! The first we knew was when we asked the bell hop to book our transport back to the airport when he toild us of all of the freak weather you have all experienced!!

I have returned fully refreshed and with a renewed energy and approach to my parents ( especially after having travelled across the globe with a wheelchair bound father and a 1 yearvold in a push chair) you name it, it happened to us!!!!!!

Talk about damaged bags, lost wheel chair people at Gatwick, adjoining rooms on different floors (how can that possibly work?) no childrens or baby meals on any flights, lost hats and sweaters, along with a paid fro fridge that decided to disappear from our room on day 4 of the holiday!!!!!!

Anything else will be easy to deal with from now on, surely!!!!!

Janet