Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Problem On Assessment

As an assessor if you went to a nursery and they were not using gloves/aprons during nappy procedure what would you do. Ofsted Regs say limits cross infection but not clear if essential. I have just started but very wary of putting my foot in it. May already be too late

I am going to be totally honest here. We always and I mean always use gloves for every type of change but unless it is a messy change we don't always use aprons.

Can not find anything in the EYFS (some one else may) but I would want to use gloves anyway.

I would think all you can do is remind your candidate about good practice when changing babies or dealing with toileting accidents etc. Although it might not say anywhere in the welfare requirements that gloves and aprons are a must, you can bet that Mrs Ofsted will comment upon it in the inspection report if they are not routinely used!

Maz

(who often forgets the gloves !) :o

hi sadiesmith

i agree with maz all you can do is draw attention to good practice , Maz always seems to make sense :o , wer'e the same as Lou always use gloves we don't always use aprons

Daz xD

When I attended a first aid course I was told to always wear gloves but there was no mention of aprons. But when we had the environmental health officer in she told us to wear aprons when we were doing snack to stop cross infection. We attempt to wear plastic aprons when changing nappies (dont always remember) as when you think about it , it does make sense.

smiles

Yes we are the same always use gloves for changing, and we try to remember to where them for food. I ahev to say that my staff are getting better at wearing them all the time for food.

I think there are so many variations on where and when aprons can be worn its not worth mentioning, seems its one of those things that inspectors decide on individually.

Gloves for nappy changing but not always for food.

As an assessor I would bring up the issue with candidate 'senitively' through a PD or Q&As.

Are you assessing through a college or independant trainer?......... If through a college I would mention it(informally) to the tutor - giving them the option of bringing it up as a general subject to be covered during tutoring sessions. This then gives the candidate the knowledge and opportuity to change pratice at setting.

Assessing is often a difficult job!! sometimes you see things you'd rather not....... other times it gives you great inspirations, but we are not 'inspectors' so the most important thing is be be sure your candidate knows the correct practice.

xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)