Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Research Project

hi all.

i starting my research project( a little late i know, this is down to some pretty bad family problems)

i am doing how television effects childrens behaviour

anyone who can offer me any help would be great i.e websites, books, etc

just need pointing in the right direction as im a bit lost

do have an extra time given on this but want to get it done asap

Hi

I am doing how tv affects childrens language development and some of my articles and research papers maybe of use, who are you studying with? If you would like to pm would be quite happy to share ideas and moans

Just had a thought: on Radio 4 this morning the Minister was talking about how video games might begin to be classified by the same system as films and videos - and said that this was one of Tania Byron's recommendations from her recent report.

I know she looked at computer games - but did she look at tv too? One interesting thing she said was that children under 12 are unable to differentiate real and pretend violence....

Just a thought!

Maz

Just had a notification from Child Development Journal about a new research paper into the effects of television on children's behaviour.

Wasn't sure if you have access to this journal - so I've uploaded it here.

Maz

Effects_of_Background_TV_on_the_Toy_Play_Behaviour_of_Very_Young_Children.pdf

• 2 months later...

Hi, I am just starting my research perspective and am doing it on how TV effects childrens language development. I would be grateful for any pointers you have on this subject.

Hi

I am doing how tv affects childrens language development and some of my articles and research papers maybe of use, who are you studying with? If you would like to pm would be quite happy to share ideas and moans

I was going to look at the boys in early years education do you all think this would be good or too much hard work?

Well I'm very interested in how gender affects learning, Karen (I looked at how pink and blue affects children's creativity for my Foundation Degree), so I'd always give something about gender my vote. What particular aspect of boys in early education are you interested in?

Maz

I think that is a very interesting subject happy maz do you have any links to websites or recommended books please so I can read about it thank you

regards killowengirl

I think that is a very interesting subject happy maz do you have any links to websites or recommended books please so I can read about it thank you

regards killowengirl

Research into the whole pink/blue thing was hard to come by, killowengirl: I'll dig out the report and look up my reference list!

Maz

I can imagine it was hard to come by it is such a different subject which is one reason why I am interested, I love reading about things like that and learning so Ireally do apprecite that

killowengirl with many thanks

hi

i also have to come up with a research topic,

i am a pre-school playgroup and we have to compete with 4 lea nurseries.

Thought i might try 'Why parents prefer playgroup provision to lea provision'

any thoughts anyone i would be grateful.

Thought i might try 'Why parents prefer playgroup provision to lea provision'

This sounds interesting! What is your definition of 'playgroup' though? Is there any existing research into this area that provides an indication of the likely reasons parents choose one type of provision over another? Will you survey all the parents in your Borough or just those in your local area? What will you do with the information once you get it? Will you do any further research amongst the different types of provision to find whether evidence exists to support the common reasons for choosing that provision?

Sorry - many questions, I know!

It sounds as if you could get some really interesting data which would be very useful for marketing purposes, but also for those in power who have to plan children's services!

Good luck!

Maz

Thanks Maz,

you have given me food for thought. we provide the same service as the lea nurseries only not as structured, more free choice sessions. 'learning through play' is our motto.

will have to look carefully at my definitions.

I have noticed a common difference between 'playgroups' and nurseries in my area is pennies, pennies, pennies! We are an extremely cheap rural pre-school at £5 for 2 3/4 hr session and think £1.50 for lunchclub (3/4 hr) whereas some nurseries/ preschools in larger urban areas charge same as they recieve for funding between £7-8! We have suddenly had a recent influx of new children creating a waiting list (which we have never had!) and it appears that many parents have chosen our setting for financial reasons i.e. because we are such cheap childcare...don't know if that will help in some way with your comparison, suppose depends on what fees your area charges but it may influence parents, partic with the whole credit crunch era

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)