Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Morning Routine

When children first come in in a morning they sit on the carpet and wait for register. However i have found that with the year group i have just had they were incredibly fussy (for want of a better word) in the morning and it would often take a long time to get the register done. I was considering maybe having a photo on the board for children to come in and discuss in a morning to give them a focus or maybe playing some calming music. What do you think? what do others done to settle children quickly in the morning

That does sound great, i might borrow it as well if you don't mind.

We do finger strong in the morning where the children come in, self register and then complete fine manipulative skills such as lego, threading, tracing etc. The register is then done by my TA as soon as all the children have completed self registration. We also make sure that we keep the finger strong activities quite calm to avoid any over excitement.

I have seen in one school they have a set of yes/no questions to answer when they come in, such as 'have you hung your coat up?'

I have numerous activities set up - some are continous provision for the whole day, some just pre-register activities. The children self-register/sign in, and then do an activity for 10 mins. After that I stop all the children - they tidy up, including tidying away the pre-register activities and then settle on the carpet for the register.

This works for me, as school is open for about 15 mins before register time. I had a mixed R/Y1 class, and once the children knew what to do they were very good at this. It kept them busy, so that when it was time to settle for the register, they had said their hello's to their friends and were ready to learn.

yes, jemilyjones, we do the same as our children tend to arrive at different times, some with 30 minutes between, so we have activities out or they are allowed to play with their own toys they have brought in until registration.

Although I think I must be the only one who doesn't do self registering, ,maybe something to look into.

I have numerous activities set up - some are continous provision for the whole day, some just pre-register activities. The children self-register/sign in, and then do an activity for 10 mins. After that I stop all the children - they tidy up, including tidying away the pre-register activities and then settle on the carpet for the register.

This works for me, as school is open for about 15 mins before register time. I had a mixed R/Y1 class, and once the children knew what to do they were very good at this. It kept them busy, so that when it was time to settle for the register, they had said their hello's to their friends and were ready to learn.

I do exactly the same thing and I find that this works really well. It distracts the children from being upset about leaving parents etc and gives them time to talk to their friends without disturbing registration.

Boogie x

Our children should all arrive at 9am, but you do tend to get some who are a bit later than others. This is when we do our singing time just before registration.

It fills that 10 mins.

Gets them settled.

And encourages children to 'pester' their parents to arrive on time!! A winner all round.

We come in to tabletop activities like other people have said, children self-register and I fill in the register form while they're doing that. I had 30 children in my class this year and to do a formal register took ages and they'd had enough of sitting on the carpet before we even got started with any teaching type session! We do a quick hello song so that everyone feels welcome and I say good morning to all the children as they come in, so everyone has had a welcome from me. It has definitely worked much better for me settling the children at activities for the first 15 mins while self-registering and my formal paperwork is done and then coming together on the carpet fresh for literacy / numeracy / whatever.

Our children come in from 8.55, but some of the later ones end up coming in at 9.15. They self register on the interactive whiteboard with what they are having for lunch. I do go through the register welcoming all the children to the classroom (otherwise I found that I didn't speak to some children in the morning!) but with 31 children it did take a very long time. I found that when they came and found an activity to do it was very hectic so just got them sitting on the carpet. I only have 21 children in september so it will be more manageable! I like the idea of giving them some activity like lacing or threading to do on the carpet while others arrive though.

When we had a large intake we used the five boxes of books from the book corner.After self registering the children could choose from the selection while the stragglers came in.We rotated fiction, non-fiction, poetry/rhyme, group readers, large books-it worked well.

My reception class self register in the morning and then go and choose from an activity board all the activites that are available to them by placing their name under the activity. I must say the children are engaged in their chosen activity socially interacting with thier peers,the class are also able to play with the continuous provision. Children can be settled by their parents at an activity before they leave. Children, parents and myself like this routine. This play will go until approximately f or an hour 8.30 - 9.30 sometimes 45 mins we then tidy up and have carpet time.

I am thinking changing this a little becuase I sometimes am not able to fit everything in! doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day!!!

• 2 weeks later...
When children first come in in a morning they sit on the carpet and wait for register. However i have found that with the year group i have just had they were incredibly fussy (for want of a better word) in the morning and it would often take a long time to get the register done. I was considering maybe having a photo on the board for children to come in and discuss in a morning to give them a focus or maybe playing some calming music. What do you think? what do others done to settle children quickly in the morning

How old are the children?

How long do you expect them to sit for?

Are they mainly boys/kinaesthetic learners?

Have you observed what is actually going on?

Are they excited & want to talk to each other?

Do you need to take the register formally?

Could they self register?

Hi, Once my reception class have hung their coats up and put their packlunches and book bags away in the correct places they sit down to copy/write their names. This settles the children down by giving them a focus and it is also a good slot for a name pratise. The children then sit down for register.

Hi all

My children self register in the morning by writing their names on a very large piece of paper on the wall. This is great as you really get to see the progression, and 4 weeks in they can all write their name! My class then sit on the carpet for games on the whiteboard. I put up pictures of clouds and they have to try and turn them into something or I put up droodles and they have to guess what they are. The scholastic site has some great games for the morning if you are a registered user of this site.

Currently our children come into nursery and head straight to the carpeted area to look at a book until everyone has arrived (we all supposedly have the same start time!)

Although we have talked about self registering it isn't something we have started as of yet, and so the register is used as the starting point of our session.

Sometimes the children are so involved in their choice of book that we fill out the register without disturbing them.

Otherwise we can say the register quietly or loudly or fast or slow.......... encouraging the listening skills from the start!

We then ACTIVATE before setting off on our sessions!

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to Lindseychappell who came on board today. Enjoy looking around and be prepared to spend lots of time on here............it can become addictive, so be careful!!!! xD Welcome again! :o

Thanks for making me feel so welcome. Your right it is addictive! :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)