Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Trpuble With Assistant Supervisor

Hi, I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone else has problems with staff not pulling their weight. I am the supervisor of a preschool and have a member of staff who is currently doing her nvq 3 but is really not interested in her job. If I say any thing to her regarding her performance she sulks and when I speak to the committee about her they use the same excuse, she is young (she is 22). It is driving me mad!

Hello matbath and welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for empathy (many have staffing issues), support and advice. xD

How long has this member of staff been with you? Has she had a full induction? It's also difficxult that although you are the supervisor the committee are the employers and if they don't support you you must feel like your banging your head against a brick wall (metaphorically speaking :o )

Maybe if you do staff observations, not just this member of staff but all of them, after a while you can show the committee the difference in attitude, aptitude and commitment. From these observations offer praise for work done well and provide action plans for areas that staff need to develop. In other words, formalise your concerns, provide evidence and a plan to move things forward.

Let us know how you get on.

Peggy

hello and welcome, it can be very tricky but good advice from Peggy. I do think an appraisal is needed followed by frequent one to ones to give her guidance and timescales to work towards. :o

I'd just like to say that I don't think appraisals are the time to bring up grievances, they are as the title implicates opportunities to 'praise' the last years work, development etc, and to discuss long term plans including training needs etc. Also they only occur on an annual basis.

More suitable for this situation are 'Supervision meetings' which occur more regularly, say once a term ( or half term depending on performance requirements), these are informed by supervisor observations (formal or informal), ongoing training, work performance etc, a time to discuss how the member of staff is doing, what additional support if any is needed AND areas in which the supervisor wants to see improvements. The meeting should be positive, supportive and also constructively critical, with clear specific action plans agreed at the end, and clear time scales for improvements, then monitored for the brief period of time until the next supervision meeting.

Depending on the outcome of these meetings, disciplinary and grievance procedures may need to be implimented if the staff is not adhering to their job description.

Peggy

Guest Wolfie

Nothing further to add, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and reassure you that you've found an excellent source of support here! :o

I'd just like to say that I don't think appraisals are the time to bring up grievances, they are as the title implicates opportunities to 'praise' the last years work, development etc, and to discuss long term plans including training needs etc. Also they only occur on an annual basis.

More suitable for this situation are 'Supervision meetings' which occur more regularly, say once a term ( or half term depending on performance requirements), these are informed by supervisor observations (formal or informal), ongoing training, work performance etc, a time to discuss how the member of staff is doing, what additional support if any is needed AND areas in which the supervisor wants to see improvements. The meeting should be positive, supportive and also constructively critical, with clear specific action plans agreed at the end, and clear time scales for improvements, then monitored for the brief period of time until the next supervision meeting.

Depending on the outcome of these meetings, disciplinary and grievance procedures may need to be implimented if the staff is not adhering to their job description.

Peggy

Hi and welcome!

I have recently been having some issues with staff and we have just started 'role reversal days'. Staff volunteer to take on the supervisor role for a session! (obviously the real supervisor is there etc) But the aim was for all of us to see what it felt like being in the other persons shoes! The staff member being the 'supervisor' for the day had to do the risk assessment, ensure equipment etc was all set up and ready on time, staff were where they should be, ratio's were maintained etc etc. One staff member did this on Friday and although she said she was really nervous, she did a fab job! She did have to ask a member of staff to go outside to maintain ratio's and she didnt like having to ask them but she did a sterling job! We have more staff volunteering to do this next week so I am looking forward to seeing how they do! I think by doing this, we get to look at things in a different perspective! I dont know whether it would help with your staff member, but it might be worth a try!

jenni x

Hello matbath and welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for empathy (many have staffing issues), support and advice. xD

How long has this member of staff been with you? Has she had a full induction? It's also difficxult that although you are the supervisor the committee are the employers and if they don't support you you must feel like your banging your head against a brick wall (metaphorically speaking :o )

Maybe if you do staff observations, not just this member of staff but all of them, after a while you can show the committee the difference in attitude, aptitude and commitment. From these observations offer praise for work done well and provide action plans for areas that staff need to develop. In other words, formalise your concerns, provide evidence and a plan to move things forward.

Let us know how you get on.

Peggy

Hi peggy, thanks for the advice. I think the suggestion of staff observations and recording issues to show as evidence to the committee are a great idea, I will try this. Staff appraisils are due this Friday, I think that the assistant is aware that it may highlight some concerns I have over her performance as she got very defensive when I gave her the form to fill in, saying she did not want to work in childcare any more. (she has worked for me for 2 1/2 years). Staff appraisils are going to be done by myself and a committee member, is this how other settings do it? I am wondering whether to invite my EYDO along for some support.

I have recently been having some issues with staff and we have just started 'role reversal days'.

I love this idea Jenny. I'd especially like it if I was able to be really awkward: stand at the hatch drinking tea, having a nice chat with my friend when the children are eating their snack rather than sitting down with them, walking out of the room no matter how many adults are there etc, etc, etc.

Sorry - did I say that out loud? :o

Hi peggy, thanks for the advice. I think the suggestion of staff observations and recording issues to show as evidence to the committee are a great idea, I will try this. Staff appraisils are due this Friday, I think that the assistant is aware that it may highlight some concerns I have over her performance as she got very defensive when I gave her the form to fill in, saying she did not want to work in childcare any more. (she has worked for me for 2 1/2 years). Staff appraisils are going to be done by myself and a committee member, is this how other settings do it? I am wondering whether to invite my EYDO along for some support.

It appears that your member of staff is currently reflecting on her future within early years, the appraisal could be useful in determining her reasons for considering leaving this profession. Is it due to realising it's 'not for her', home/family issues, or maybe they are short term issues that the setting can support her in getting through. Until you ask you won't know. It will be a good time to offer support but also to stress the importance for the children and other staff that all staff are consistently commited to their roles & responsibilities.

Hopefully you can get to the bottom of what is really affecting her work attitude.

As for should you have EYDO at the appraisals, this would depend on whether you feel committee are not supportive/knowledgable enough to carry out the appraisal with you, whether the committee agree to this, and of course whether the EYDO is available. Just aim to make the meeting as constructive and positive as possible, show concern and offer support, action plans where needed but emphasise the responsibilities the staff has in meeting her job role for the future. Look at training needs and be prepared to support her if she has decided she doesn't want to work in childcare any more. Acknowledge her honesty in sharing this decision (which may have been a difficult one for her). Put yourself in her shoes, if you were in her position, unsure of your commitment or even ability to do the job, what would you want from an employer out of the appraisal process?

Good luck, let us know how you get on won't you.

Peggy

I love this idea Jenny. I'd especially like it if I was able to be really awkward: stand at the hatch drinking tea, having a nice chat with my friend when the children are eating their snack rather than sitting down with them, walking out of the room no matter how many adults are there etc, etc, etc.

Sorry - did I say that out loud? :(

..............and don't forget the mobile phone.......there might be some earth-shattering news to share with your friends!! :oxD

Hi

I dont think I would invite the EYDO it could look like a firing squad. Dont forget to also tell her what she does well during the appraisal (thats if there is anything to say.) Do you have meetings with her to update you and get any feedback from how the sessions run?

Sorry - did I say that out loud? :(

..............and don't forget the mobile phone.......there might be some earth-shattering news to share with your friends!! :oxD

Wow, I didn't know you two worked where I did - except with me it's always difficult trying to find them again.

hum...just thinking...is she still studying for her level 3 NVQ? if so does she have an assessor you could discuss issues with...if she's not pulling her weight and contributing very little i would be suprised if she passed!!!! I have just had the same experience with a level 2 NVQ and she has come to the conclusion that it's not right for her now...she has passed the level 2, but I had to tell her she wasn't ready to do level 3 yet...thankfully she took it well and it didn't come as a suprise to her...

I really do feel that their are some NVQ students that are average, abovE and below...if they are not up to the level they are training for they shouldn't be doing the job...after all, how many poorly skilled collegues have we all had to work with over the years?

Hi

I dont think I would invite the EYDO it could look like a firing squad.

That's what I was thinking, Lou: if it were me I would definitely feel like the big guns were out to get me. :o

• 3 weeks later...

hey there, I'm new to the forum too & am amazed at how lovely everyone is & soo supportive! I think that staffing issues are the most difficult. Did you manage to resolve your issues? If not, have you thought about talking things over with her tutor? Let me know.