Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Would This Be A Good Reason?

Rea

I had a job interview yesterday. Today I learnt I didnt get it because I was nervous.

The only other candidate didnt get the job either for the same reason. The job was advertised through the agency I work with. I phoned them to ask if that really was the only reason and was told 'yes'.

I was nervous, it was a job interview!

Has anyone ever NOT offered or been offered a job on this basis. I find it hard to believe that was the reason.

Luckily I only went for it because I'd done a days supply there in February and left feeling that I would love to be able to make changes there.

Cant believe nerves could be a reason for unsuitability. :o

I have been told I come acros very nervous at interview and have been told in the past that it was a reason I didn't get the job. Also a couple of mannerisms which wouldn't fit with the other staff.... that was knowing what my vision for Early years education is and how I would implement it.

Better luck next time

Lorna

How ridiculous. I have been for interviews and have held interviews and you always take nerves into account.

A good interviewer should be able to put you at ease so I would class it as their loss not yours.

net x

Edited by net franklin

Bad luck rea.

I had feedback once that I was too nice! Not a lot I could do about that though?

And another time that I wanted part time---the job I had applied for and was interviewed for was part time!

Love those reasons Susan. xD:(

I ahve spoken to the agency again to ask if they can make sure if this setting want supply in the future that they send me. I'll show them who's nervous!! :o

I have been told im rubbish at interviews!! cos im so nervous and dont sell myself enough! xD I agree with others its up to the interviewee to put you at ease. When i interview now theres no way I would not give them the job cos of them being nervous infact it makes them more human!! i did get the job both times by the way on reputation and the point system. :o which is a fairer way i think

This is a new one on me: and it stands up less and less when you think they've actually seen you in action!

Perhaps you make them nervous because of your brilliance, Rea! :o

Thats why I've requested to go there as supply again maz :o .

They didnt remember me form February, which leads me to think I was SO good, and got on with the job SO well, that I didnt need to draw attention to myself.

One of my staff was so nervous when I interviewed her. But I could see beyond the nerves and felt she was the best person for the job. And I was proved right. She has been brilliant.

I would never dismiss somebody because they were nervous. But perhaps that's because if I were in their place I would be nervous too!

Linda

when I'm nervous I talk...and talk..and talk... xD but then some people say I do that even when I'm not nervous :(

just goes to show sometimes you just can't win!

so my advice is to walk away tall knowing theres something better waiting because your worth it :o

Agree with Hali -- totally ridiculous!!

I feel it is my role to put all candidates at ease to ensure they feel as comfortable as possible.

Nerves are the exact reason that i hold practical interviews too. In my experience you cannot tell enough about a person from a formal interview alone. All interviews i conduct consist of a half hour chat and an hour practical session with the children.

I still make bad choices sometimes but feel i am more informed after the practical session :o

well I am rubish at interviews, I have never got a job that I have been interviewed for but when I interview others I try to put people at ease and get them to relax I dont do "formal" and it helps to get prospective employees relaxed so they can say what they really think about working with children its amazing what some people will say once their at ease (can be a really eye opener!)

if they used the "nervous" excuse with you and the other potential candidates it makes you wonder wether the vacancy was still available or they had a particular person in mind but are oblidged to advertise the post.

their loss!!

I agree with the comment that Alison has made - I expect they already had the job filled, and they just went along with the interviews .......................Dot :o

Well I'll soon know, hopefully. I've written to them this morning asking for further feedback on my overall performance given that nerves are expected at an interview.

:o

Well I'll soon know, hopefully. I've written to them this morning asking for further feedback on my overall performance given that nerves are expected at an interview.

Ooh - how assertive are you? Let us know what they say!

Maz

Assertive in a rather 'how dare they' way.

To be honest, if they'd given any other reason I'd have taken it on board, but its such a poor excuse that my hackles have risen.

I actually thought when I came out that I'd cocked up the question about observations, why do we do them?

I gave every reason I could but was asked for more, so then I rambled. If that had been why the job wasnt offered I'd have conceeded defeat but not now, no way.

Will await next weeks post with eager anticipation.

I still maintain its their loss

I agree with Alison and dot - I know that the same sort of thing has happened at my kids school - they pick who they want for the job and then go through the motions of interviewing just to stay within the law. I know how disheartening it can be but it's their loss. I've always been terrible at interviews where I've really wanted the job. I once went for an interview at an estate agents for a weekend job - fitted around the kids when they were tiny. The interviewer was a real stuffed shirt which made me more nervous and on edge. But when he asked me what arrangements I would make if my children were ill - meningitis for example (his words not mine) I promptly told him what he could do with his job and left. One tip a friend gave me years ago to overcome interview nerves is to imagine that your interviewer is naked, haven't tried it myself as I'm afraid of having a fit of the giggles!!

Sally

Hi Rea - definitely their loss not yours.

You'd be an asset wherever you worked so perhaps it's not the right place for you if they hadn't realised that and snapped you up right away! xD

I went for an interview 4 months ago in a Children's Centre - don't think I got it - don't really know as they haven't bothered to let me know either way! :( That sort of attitude makes me feel I had a lucky escape and that it wasn't the right place for me.

Good luck :o

I'm so sorry you didn't get the job Rea. xD I would definitely pursue it and ask them for a more concrete reason for not giving you the job. Perhaps by nervous they meant that they didn't feel you would be 'strong' enough at dealing with difficult issues that you may have to have faced in the job? They'll soon discover how wrong they were on that count. :o