Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Policy On Changing Children

hello everyone -isnt it lovely knowing that this Sunday we dont have to spend the evening planning thats what I love about the hols.Hope everyone has a good one.

Please could someone help with advice.I have worked in the same EY unit for 18 yrs as Nursery Teacher and more recently EY coordinatoe and Senior Manager.My team consists of 2 Receptiion Teachers and 3 Nursery Nurses.when it comes to changing children who havent made it to the toilet ,our policy has always been whoever finds it deals with it if they are not busy.

However my team has been changed for September and I will now have a young year 2 teacher and a young year 3 teacher [both have taught for 2 years] plus a new NN in reception.Question is should I continue to ask them to work in that way,because at the moment they are used to delegating those sorts of jobs to assisstants,but I personally wouldnt dream of asking my NN to do anything that I wouldnt do myself.

Please advise.

:oxD

hi there Crestacat

I certainly agree with you... I wouldn't ask my TA to do something that I wouldn't do, especially changing children. Our unspoken 'policy' is that whoever is available does the deed... and with a smile on our face too so as not to upset the child...accidents happen to us all :)

liza

I think within the nursery it is usually the unwritten rule that work is shared between the staff. It should be who ever has 'found' the child that needs a change or the member of staff who is free. But i agree with the fact that most 'main' school teachers are used to delegating this aspect of the job to others and it will be necc to change the mindset. They need to be comfortable doing it. As a former nursery nurse and now a nursery teacher i feel that i am responsible for the care and education fo the little ones but if you have not been specifically trained in the early years sector or are new to it, you could consider only the teaching aspect of it to be part of your job.

My support staff were iniitally not keen to take on nappy changin as a part of their job ( we are tecnically not supposed to refuse places to 3 year olds still in nappies) Both had worked as TAs in school and did not see this as being apporpirate for them to do. However, they have now agreed that they would undertake nappy changing if required.

I think your new staff will be keen to fit in and follow the ethos of your setting and you should continue with your usual system rather than make changes to suit new staff. My personal opinion

Hi crestacat, hope the traget setting doc got to you Ok!

I also agree with you all, we all change children if we are the one dealing with it. That's part of the role I think and as all the things we need are there, gloves/spare clothes/washing facilities etc then it's not a big deal. Treat it as being in loco parentis :D

HAve a good holiday Cx

hello again Thanks for your replies much appreciated

,and I will take your advice and keep going with our ethos and policy ,but Ill make sure that everyone is comfortable with it.

Catma I got the documents thanks a lot it is proving really usefull.If there is anything I can do for you just yell.Have a good holiday Crestacatx:D :o

hello again Thanks for your replies much appreciated

,and I will take your advice and keep going with our ethos and policy ,but Ill make sure that everyone is comfortable with it.

Catma I got the documents thanks a lot it is proving really usefull.If there is anything I can do for you just yell.Have a good holiday Crestacatx:D :o

Can only add the same as the others. We all change the children and do it on a whoever finds them changes them basis. As owner I do not ask anybody to do anything I wouldn't do myself. The only exception to this is perhaps a child who feels more comfortable with a specific adult. So, for instance, our little boy who is autistic is happier with my deputy manager dealing with him, and she is happy to change him if he has an accident.

As long as they know from the start this is what you have always done and they are supported by you hopefully they won't have a problem.

Linda

I'm going to throw the spanner in the works here, although I do not in principle object to changing the child and often see to first aid needs, it is more usual for the NN to see to changing issues as these are likey to take longer and the teacher looks after the rest of the class. This is most certainly the case if the "accident" occurs in PE as my NN is not allowed to take control in that lesson.

I can see your point of view Susan, especially when there are only two staff members in the setting. In that case I suppose the more qualified person would have to be left in charge. It is very different in a pre-school where we have more staff and so can share the "honour"!! :D

I have to say that most of the time we use the person who has found it policy but there are times when that person is too busy doing an activity and so it is the least busy person available who does the changing.

Linda

Hi -

Just thought I'd offer my tuppence worth, which is that it may be worth considering those who haven't had children of their own before. :)

I think the idea of changing a nappy changes radically in the eye of a changer once you've done it with your own child, and for a less experienced member of staff to be expected to just get on with it might be more than should be expected.

I'm not suggesting that they shouldn't have to do it, only that someone without experience should be shown very carefully what to be doing (and what to expect!).

I can see your point Steve. Nappy changing and toileting are part of the training for NN and other related NVQs but would agree that teachers are not necc taken trhough this part of the job on the teaching course.

But it's like everything else- where there is a will.............. :o

In my pre-school the policy is that the key -worker changes the child. If she is not available the supervisor does it. This means that the child is changed by some-one who knows her well and who can keep the situation under review. It also avoids the problem of anyone 'not noticing' so they don't have to change a nappy (as if they would!)