Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Registration And Fire Drills/emergency Exits

Guest Stalbans

Guest Stalbans

I apologise if this is a question that has been answered before, I can't seem to find any info on it and hoped I could pick someones brains!!

I would like to develop the idea of a 'Here I am' board and incorporate it as a feelings tree also but am puzzled as to whether I need to do a formal registration as well, for example in case we have to leave the building to do a fire drill.

Would be really grateful if anyone has any thoughts on info on this.

I am preschool supervisor in a preschool attached to a primary school with the head teacher also being the preschool manager so we follow a lot of school policies. I understand schools registers are a legal document but what is the protocol for preschools being in mind it is not actually against the law if our children do not attend?

Thanks for your continual support

You still need a formal register , self registration is a routine to use in a setting.

EYFS - under provider records... Providers MUST keep the following

a daily record of the names of the children looked after on the premises, their hours of attendance and names of their key workers.

this usually includes a time in and out in the register.

Inge

Hi Stalbans

You must keep a formal register which shows what time the children arrive and the time they leave. This has been a requirement for some time now.

Our children self register but we also take the register as they arrive. I have attached a copy of our register for you. We use a green pen for when they arrive between the two times shown and a red for when they leave. If they arrive or leave at times other than these then we write the time in.

Hope this helps.

Linda

register.xls

Guest Stalbans

Thanks so much for you help, you've really cleared up a big question in my head. Had been doing the formal registration as recently taken job on (since 19th may!) So just trying to clarify everything in preparation to hopefully be straight by September when I'll really be in charge!!!

Also, Linda would you mind sending your forms again as I don't seem to be able to download them, thanks

Is anybody else having a problem?

I downloaded it without any problems, Linda.

I was interested to see that you don't put the exact time the children arrive or leave. We put a tick against each child's name if they are present at the start of the session, but put the time they arrive if this is later. We put the time they leave - even if they leave on time at the end of the session.

Its interesting how we all do things differently, isn't it?

The children also self-register but this is really more to do with recognising their name than knowing who is in!

Maz

Our register inclides staff and visitors. At the top of the register it states 'Children attend 9am - 11.45am unless otherwise stated' and against all children's/visitor's names is an arrival time box and departure time box incase it is different from the ones stated at the top. Staff also have an arrival and departure time to sign in and out with, this doubles up as a check for the time sheets.

Just out of interest, we still do a formal registration at the very beginning of the session, when does everyone else do theirs?

Hi Salbans

An idae we use if a sheet where parents sign their children in and out at the door, this keeps a record of what time childen come in and out of the setting. This works throughout the day nursery well.

Children then self register themselfs as they come in

~~Just an idea

Claire

we self register but also do the offical register - the helper of the day does this on a tick list and staff member copies it into the official register - double checking of course!

We use names with velco on to self register and an adult does an offical register.We also have an 'away board' so any name cards not used are put on and a 'how many children are here today' board for the many times we count we have everyone!!

I used to do a time in & out register, done by adult and a self registration board.

The self registration board was made from felt, name labels had velcro. The board had 3 columns with a time in text ie 8:45, 12:45 & 15:15 and a picture clock with the same times at the top of each column.

The children would place their name under the time they were going home. (names placed in a vertical row under each time). This would make us able to see at a glance how many children due home end of morning session, staying for lunch, or staying all day. :o Sounds complicated when written down but the children picked the idea up really easily (with initial help from parents on arrival).

so total number for lunch is middle and end column.

Peggy

post-3604-1214177138_thumb.jpg

Children self-register but an adult does a register showing names, time in/out, adults present with their times in/out. Also keep a seperate fire drill record.

Our children self-register with their name cards. Parents pass around a time & sign register. Staff are on that register too. Separate books for parent/helpers, visitors etc.

Fire drills are recorded on the register, how long it took etc.

Guest Biker

We have a printed sheet with 4 columns

Childs name In Out signature

As parent carers enter with their child they write the time in the in column next to their child's name(pre-printed).As they take their child home they enter the time in the out column and sign.

we then check the sheet a few minutes into the session once children have mostly arrived.This provides an accurate record of who is in the building at any given time -should the fire bell go off this is what we use.

We also have the formal school register although we can just use the signing in sheets to fill it in.

biker.

we have name cards with magnets on the back, the children then put the name card on the magnetic board as they enter (with new children they think it's magic!!)we have a more formal register with times on the top of page and total of children in at bottom,if children arrive late or go early we put times down in coloum we also write on a white board how many staff and children in for session am/pm and add if any visitors come etc so for a quick reference in emergences. we have a seperate visitors book but i think i will change this to put in the register thanks for the idea!we keep a record of fire drills by having a list of the children's names with coloums beside and date the names when they have practiced the fire drill and to keep a record of how many times it has been done, this is kept in the registration folder.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)