Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recording Achievements

Hi to anyone who is out there!

Need some clarification and help. I am in a pre-school with 70 children on the register and we are trying to get our heads around the EYFS for September.

We had planned to create learning journeys in the form of a scrapbook, with observations, photos etc. and mark off the childrens achievements against the development matters listed in the EYFS to give us a basis for next steps planning and as a way to produce a transfer record for when the children go up to school.

We read in the nursery education magazine that we are not to do this (typical)

How do you record the stages of development of your children and do transfer records?

We have had no training at all in our area of Wiltshire and none is forth coming. Our Early Years Leading Teacher only works 2 days a week and we have been very much left to get on with it with no guidance.

Please can anyine help - getting very confused now!!

:o

[

We had planned to create learning journeys in the form of a scrapbook, with observations, photos etc. and mark off the childrens achievements against the development matters listed in the EYFS to give us a basis for next steps planning and as a way to produce a transfer record for when the children go up to school.

hi

this sounds very similar to what we do.

where does it say we shouldnt do this and what is the reason given?

Hi

I think your idea of learning journal is spot on - I use a format of having a page for each area of the EYFS and linking observations, notes and photos to the individual areas.

My idea of bringing the observations together was to produce a chart with all development matters, and instead of tickng them off when you assume or think a child has achieved each stage, when you have an observation that clearly shows the child has achieved a certain stage, you can date it the chart. Once you have dated it 3 or more times - that is clear evidence a child has reached a particular stage of development. but it is important not to concentrate on the deveopment matters, and using checklists to see if children have reached stages, and concentrate on what they can do as individuals - this is why the learning journals you suggested will be most effective - and the more snap shot observations you have, the more evidence you will have when completing transisition documents.

Also, narrative observations are very useful, if completed thoroughly, and evaluated effectively. We aim to do 3/4 narrative observations a year, for each child - these are most useful when looking for specific outcomes, but also general learning and development, especially when compared to previous observations.

Sam

Hi to anyone who is out there!

Need some clarification and help. I am in a pre-school with 70 children on the register and we are trying to get our heads around the EYFS for September.

We read in the nursery education magazine that we are not to do this (typical)

How do you record the stages of development of your children and do transfer records?

We have had no training at all in our area of Wiltshire and none is forth coming. Our Early Years Leading Teacher only works 2 days a week and we have been very much left to get on with it with no guidance.

Please can anyine help - getting very confused now!!

I have read that the development matters are not to be used as ticklists - however they can be used as summative assessments perhaps 2 or 3 times per year- say as a start, around february and then nearer the summer term end. They should be used to look at next steps for planning as you have described.

Which edition of the nursery education was the article in?

Hi Samwhite,

Welcome to the forum xD

Before you start to type it all up yourself, look in the resource library (in the resources section) under obs and assessment, and seek out the EYFS child records. They're all there! :o

We had similar input from our county [Lincs]. We are moving towards scrapbook-style 'All About Me' booklets, probably in whatever format groups elect to use. There may be storyboard sheets that may incude a short observation,photo, sample of work etc which is assessed against a series of 'I Can' statements which have been derived from the 'Look, Listen, Note' column. They are definitely not to be used as a ticklist.There is also a document that links these statements to Development Matters in one column, and the Profile statements in another, used to ensure we don't just shortcut the EYFS. Our EYAT's say that Development Matters should be used for planning, not assessment and record-keeping. It's still very much in its infancy but is certainly a lot more parent-friendly.

We had similar input from our county [Lincs]. We are moving towards scrapbook-style 'All About Me' booklets, probably in whatever format groups elect to use. There may be storyboard sheets that may incude a short observation,photo, sample of work etc which is assessed against a series of 'I Can' statements which have been derived from the 'Look, Listen, Note' column. They are definitely not to be used as a ticklist.There is also a document that links these statements to Development Matters in one column, and the Profile statements in another, used to ensure we don't just shortcut the EYFS. Our EYAT's say that Development Matters should be used for planning, not assessment and record-keeping. It's still very much in its infancy but is certainly a lot more parent-friendly.

I like your ideas, sounds like you're on the right track. I've been told by the Early Years Advisory Teacher to wait for the new EYFS profile whch should be out in Oxfordshire sometime before September. I was also told to devise a kind of long term planning, explaining the ethos of the setting and what our aims are. I've used info from the EYFS Enabling Environment bit to get me started. I'm keen to have as much parent-friendly obs, assessing and planning information as I can.

Thanks for all your comments and ideas.

It was in the most recent issue of nursery eduction in the q & a section. There was no clarification or alternative suggestion (as ever) just that this is not what they were for.

We haven't been issued with a FSP in our area but as over 90% of our children all go on to the same infant school we have discussed using the E-Profile. Not really sure that this is for pre-school use but the school are happy for us to use it and then transfer the records to them by E-Mail or memory stick.

We have covered our long term plan by doing a sheet on the principles into practice,showing how our everyday activities nad routines cover the aspects/principles etc. and we are adapting the long term plan on the eyfs cd rom to show our continuous provision in each area that we provide aroubd the room.

The short term planning is fine but struggling to try and record a medium term plan for a term. Wondering if there shouldn't be one in order to be able to continually adapt to the childrens needs? Trouble is we would like to keep our topics as it gives a focus fpr learning and is an easy way to introduce subjects that dont come up as a matter of course, such as our community and people who help us etc.

Interested in any thoughts you have - especiaaly in those lucky areas that have had training or local government input!!

Thanks as ever

P.S. Will try to attach downloads of the documents i mentioned above.

principles_into_practice_A3.rtf

Long_Term_Plans_1_.doc

Guest Stalbans

I just want to say thanks for the downloads, I am a preschool supervisor having been in the job for just under a month! This info will I'm sure prove invaluable as I'm trying to turn things around at the moment. Not much was in place when I took over!!

Like you said a great place to find anything we need!! :o

Thanks for those downloads. You've just cleared up a grey area I had in my file, couldn't quite picture how to organise all that information. Thanks again, you're a star!

Well, a scrapbook is what I had envisaged to create a holistic snapshot of individual children , evolving over time, which children and parents could also contribute to, along with a profile of some sort. Be interested to hear more about why this should be used?

Sorry, forgot to say I'm planning on having a learning journey folder which is a kind of all about me/my goals/developmental areas. it has got a section with learning goals which are coloured when achieved. the goals are sent home to the parents in a home link book, so they are involved and informed. the areas of development are signed with observations noted when achieved. their next goals will be whatever they need next, not necessarily the next developmental area.

I'm thinking of assigning children a folder on the server and putting all of their photographs in there in the six areas. i would print them off half termly, about 8 phots on a page. Not sure of how im going to annotate them. am sick of printing photos and wasting loads of ink.

Have trialled the learning journey thing with a few children (all abilities) and it seems to be working well, the parents are quite pleased with it and the children like colouring in their goals when achieved etc.

Anyway goodluck!

Hi Abruton,

These are fantastic and just what I was looking for. Had a bit of training and discussed long term planning. Would love to use them and tweak them slightly for our setting. Where abouts in Wiltshire are you? We are also in Wiltshire, not far from Salisbury.

Thanks

Tracey

Really chuffed you found it all useful - feel like such an amateur at times compared with you pros!!!

We have decided to go for the scrapbook/all about me approach for the learning journals, putting in observations, photos (printed on normal paper because of cost) and evidence of the childrens work, etc.

The observations will be linked to the next stage planning using develpoment matters to help with phrasing and I am hoping to use a 2 week cycle of planning based around these.

Our daily plan won't differ that much - will still use a room plan and add provision for sounds and letters as an everyday activity and one other focussed area such as PSNR.

All that is left is to run it by the EYAT next week to see if she agrees it covers enough - I really want to do less to achieve more and spend more quality tome with children instead of paperwork!!

Tracey - I am in a pre-school in Salisbury (St Marks) so may have met you on a course. What can I say small world!

Thank you so much for these, d you mind if I use the P into P obe but adapt it slightly?

We have been using scrapbooks for our children or the last thre years now. they contain, 6/8 photos per half term, obs, pieces of work & comments from the children (who love looking through them) & comments from parents. We call them Records of Observations & Achievements. The children are presented withe them when they leave.

Feel free to use and adapt as you like.

Like the sound of your child books - we are hoping to do the same type of thing putting in photos, obs, their own work etc.

Have given up on a medium term plan and am now looking at planning on a 2 week basis by discussing the childrens interests and progress and then planning around as many as we can do. We already have staff meetings every 2 weeks and it will hopefully be a way to get staff more aware and involved in what we do!

Will have 2 focused activities a session - one will be letters and sounds and the other based on a different ELG. Hopefully this should be enough to show Ofsted we are doing all that is required and give us more time for spending with the children!

Hi,

We currently use a folder for each child but I love the sound of a scrapbook as it creates more ownership for the children. We use themes and the staff arent ready to give them up just yet - working on it but have managed to get them to think about being more flexible. I was given the attatched two documents to maybe use as meduim plans. Im in Essex.

smiles

Filled_medium_term_foci_planner.doc

planning_to_respond.doc

Went on a observation and assessment course this week. For our long term plan, we too were told to show how we put the EYFS principles into practice. So with abruton's very kind example, we will be one step ahead, all we have to do is adapt it to our setting.

With regard to medium term plan we were told to take the development matters (aka stepping stones) and highlight those which we cover through our continuous provision in one colour, then each half term highlight others you cover either by background theme or as a result of following children's interests. Then you will be able to see and illustrate that you have covered them over the terms. Rather like some of us used to do for our long term plans years ago.

I have recently been on the OAP course and spent a day getting more confused than helped. Your plans are fantastic . You could make a fortune if you sold them. Thnak you so much for your generous help. :o

Guest Wolfie

Welcome from me too, gypjaney! Your post had me confused for a minute....OAP course?? I thought I was on the wrong forum!! :o

Thank you so much ABurton. Those long term plans are absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing. I was about to start making something similiar for my setting. You are so kind to share- you really have saved me such a lot of time. Thank you. :oxD:( Bethie

Can I thank you also for sharing your work. Having been on the training (4 half days) I was still very confused about it all, your plans lit a big light at the end of my tunnel. I now see how it all fits. I am now going to be able to explain it all to my F1 team at our twilight tomorrow. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Guest Janie4

Feel free to use and adapt as you like.

My first post! An enormous thank you for those downloads - they are SO clear!

I have had the job of supervisor for a month, having down-sized from primary supply teaching and am loving it. We have lots of chnges planned including dropping the Learning Story folders in favour of a scrapbook. I am reliably informed by our county support teacher that we can record chronologically, not by areas. we are going to make them child and parent friendly.

The support teacher suggested medium term plans are replaced by a next week/next steps plan on the wall alongside this week's plan which is being continually added to, based on observed learning needs of each child. we will begin that in September and see if it works! :o

Guest lucyevans
[

hi

this sounds very similar to what we do.

where does it say we shouldnt do this and what is the reason given?

Page 6 of the Practice Guidance states the the DM and LLN should not be used as checklists, and explains why.

http://www.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/eyfs/reso...ce-guidance.pdf

HTH, Lucy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)