Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Closing!

I have just had to tell a new parent that I couldn't take on their child as we possibly won't be open and I'm gutted and oh so sad. It is something that has been looming for the last few months but having to admit it to a parent even though I've been threatening it for months was just the last straw.

:oxD:(

We were given notice by the church at Easter that our current lease would be finishing and that we would have to negotiate a new lease for September. We tried to do that but the church would only give us mornings which we said we would take rather than close. But unfortuantely they have now decided that they need the building and that they can't let us have it until 2009 so we will have nowhere to open for September.

We have an area of the town that we put a proposal to the Borough to see if they would let us have one of the buildings or site our own building but again that came back that at the moment they have leases on the site for others and that because I am a private individual they could not been seen to deal with me, as everybody else would start asking. We even ask if we could put in a tender for the site if they would open it up but that has been refused.

So after 10 years I am lost on what to do. I can only hope that when the parents know what is happening they will do something. It has turned into a political fight between the Conservatives who say I'm private so its up to me and the Liberal who say it doesn't matter if I'm private or not so for me a very sad time

How sad for you Steph. The group I used to work for closed last year. We used to rent a room in the school but the school was being knocked down and a new one built which would not have room for us. So, the school opened a foundation stage unit in this new building leaving us all feeling very bitter. We involved the PLA and the county but to no avail - the Head wanted a bigger school number wise which would mean more funding and she also wanted total control.

Oh dear Steph, I hope something turns up good for you.

I've got an idea for you, what about asking the parents to sign to object to you closing or something like this maybe the council may or may not see it differently then.

Good luck for the future and keep us informed.

Beth

I hope you secure some thing for september Steph. Getting the parents and local community involved could help. I don't see why it should make a difference that you are a private setting.

sorry to hear your sad news, what is the Church needing the building for? is it worth going to the local paper to see if there is anyone out there that could help you?, obviously after talking to the parents.

Guest Wolfie

I've got everything crossed for you and hope that you find a happy solution - remember that good things come out of enforced changes sometimes and keep your chin up! :o

I echo Wolfies comments.

When I closd in December, although through sustainability issues, the decision, as a private provider was mine. I really don't know how I would handle the sense of impotence at having my business closed through others decisions. My heart goes out to you.

However, as Wolfie indicates, keep strong, have faith in the parents around you, but don't judge them too harshly if they start looking now to start finding alternative provision, as of course, their childs 'few' years in preschool is most paramount for them.

Maybe you could place a request for possible venues in the letters page of your local paper, there may be somewhere that you've not thought of, and someone looking for a reliable / regular tenant. And as others have said, get the community behind you.

It's sad that the council identify differentials between private and public sector in this case yet when it comes to funding they spout that they value the private sector and want to work in partnership with them, all double standards ad political.

OOh, another idea, contact your local Small Business (enterprise??) advice service. They have many business links including maybe some sponsors (Business Angels) who could help.

Best of wishes fo a positive outcome whichever way the situation goes. Keep us informed won't you, and I'm sure you know, we are all rooting for you here, and are here to listen any time. :o

Peggy

Hope you manage to find alternative premises. So sad to hear of another setting being forced to close. Good luck and don't give up! :o

Sally

Hiya

It's not the end 'til the end and hopefully you can find the strength to battle on! As previously said ........ what do they need the building for, for the coming year?

Thought of loads to say so I'll pm you.

Keep going :o

What a devastating blow. It does seem rather odd for the Church to have a change of plan at such a late stage.

However, as Wolfie says something good may well come out off adversity.

What about our local radio stations or TV, in a search for new premises?

Good luck, will be thinking of you.

How sad! I hope you find the energy and support from parents to fight this - I agree with previous posts, try local newspapers, radio, t.v. Good Luck!

Nona

How sad Steph.

Where will your children go if you have to close, as you fear? Your LEA will have to find suitable provision for these children and the future children who you will not be able to accommodate - this is their legal duty.

What do they have to say about your predicament?

I really hope that you can find a way out of needing to close - sometimes triumph can spring out of the jaws of defeat. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and all your families.

Maz

Thanks all of you I was having a down moment after talking to this parent. We have done pieces in the paper before trying to get outside help. I have spoken to every politician around and most of the councillors that I thought could help.

The church is re shuffling all there buildings as they don't have enough priests to man them. So where we are is the biggest and will become their main church. While the building is being remodelled they need the hall to use as a church. The remodelling could take anything up to 6 months. Also they will need to use the hall after that for church activities, so even if we did wait or find alternatives they then couldn't guarantee usage for others.

I have now started to ask that questions be put to Beverly Hughes on how the "community" can complain against the Borough by letting us shut and taking away places that are needed. The Borough will probably failing in their duty. I have written asking how the parents would go about asking for a Judicial Review, which from what I can find out is the ultimate threat to a Borough or LEA.

I have had advise from "top government sources" is all I can call them so we will be setting a precedent, on challenging the new Child Care Act.

I'm not done yet if I go down it will be screaming at the injust of the system so watch this space girls!!!!!!!!!!

Wow Steph - every new Act of Parliament needs to have a challenge in order to 'test' the new legislation, doesn't it? So who better than you to set a precedent! Good for you: I really admire people like you who are prepared to stand up for what they believe in and take action.

We'll be here for moral support (although it does feel a bit like holding someone's coat while they get stuck into the fight, if you know what I mean...).

Good luck - and keep us posted!

Maz

Thanks every one I knew that the Forum would be the one place that everybody would know how I feel. I've never been a person to stand up and be counted but this pre-school was something that i have done on my own and I took it over when it was failing and built it up to 3 times it size. Its my "baby" and I can't let it go. The children have been like my own and I still have contact with parents from when I first started. They have been like members of my family.

I have a old friend who was a midwife and she always used to call the children she'd help deliver her babies and now I know what she feels like.

They are children that you have contact with every day for up to 2 years and we do make a differnce in their lives and their parents lives. For 10 years they have been a part of my life and as my 24 year old son will say I don't let go easily. Bless him its all in the name of love so he tells me.

I will keep you all up to date on whats happening.

the church have asked that I don't drag them into the problem but as I have told them I do understand where they are coming from, but they have to understand that I have a contract to supply so many weeks pre-school and by telling me that I can't have the hall they have started a rolling stone and its a bit out of my hands now.

Still things happen for a reason not that at the moment I understand what that reason is but we will have to wait and see.

Again thanks to you all

Good Luck Stef we've just been cut in half and it hurts, the school we lease a classroom from needed it back and now they're opening a nursery class

do you feel like evrery door you turn to is firmly closed in your face ...thats if you can get someone to open it in the first place?

it is hardest to tell the parents because you feel you're letting them down but is was good to read you later posts where you weebled back and came up fighting!!!

Edited by Guest

well, I think you should be congratulated on your fighting spirit at the very least! I hope something turns up for you and it's bigger and better than what you already have! Have your LEA got any redundant mobiles you could use??what about asking all the schools in your area if they have space........including Secondary schools and colleges ??

I feel really angry for you Steph. As I mentioned on Titans post about her closure, I was at a lovely nursery a couple of weeks ago who are having to close and no-one is willing to help them.

I think I've said before that I have a very real feeling, that within the next 10 years, groups in the PVI sector will close. Everything I read these days shows another obstacle but in the LEA settings I've been in, there is an abundance of cash, resources and support.

Really hope sometrhing turns up for you :o

Had a response from the Portfolio holder telling me off but as another Councillor said he had no idea that we were closing up to last week.

I have written him a furious email back telling him that he really does need to get his facts right before he starts out on what he considers has been the "support" from the Borough.

The most I have had is staff telling me to keep tough and something will turn up. The staff in the LEA have been great but its the other officers who don't seem to realise that its mor up to Strategic planners to look at what they want in a town and plan for it and that means to find places for Pre-schools to go. You cannot keep relying on Church buildings as they are costly and not ideal any more for what Governments want us to do.

Can we not do a petition to government on how we feel things should be.

OHHHHHH I could get on my soap box about this so easily. I'm sure I'm not alone in fact i know I not from the way we all feel on the Forum.

Steve have you ever thought of organising a reunion of Forum members somewhere so we could have a voice in person.

I would certainly spend the weekend with everybody putting our views across. I think it would be great.

Any way off to bed I will let you all know on Monday how my staff are bless them after spending a week worrying about whats going to happen. I might find that they have all got other jobs and won't have any staff to open with in September if I do manage to find somewhere.

Have my granddaughter with us tomorrow so it makes up for it all.

Night every one

Have a lovely weekend

Steph