Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dissertation Title

hali

title  

23 members have voted

1. 1. questions

• PLASTICS VERSUS NATURAL - WHICH BEST AIDS PARTICIPATION AND LEARNING?
    • NATURAL OR PLASTIC - DOES THE DIFFERENCE AFFECT OUTDOOR LEARNING?
    • NATURAL OR ARTIFICIAL - WHICH BEST ENCOURAGES DEVELOPMENT AND KNOWLEDGE?
    • "one setting's experiences of how plastic and natural materials affect childrens' involvement levels"
    • Plastic v Natural - Do involvement and Learning Experiences differ?

Ok ladies,

im really stuck - doing research project in my setting. Have observed children playing with plastic toys (seesaws, climving frames, trikes) to see what their involvent levels, interaction levels and what learning experiences they are gaining from them. Then taken them away and done same using just natural materials (drain pipes, planks, tyres etc)...

but need a title - help!!!!

Here are some suggestion given me already - please vote or let me know if you can think of anything better..

thanks xxx :o

Edited by hali

Im in the camp where the title comes last Hali, maybe its my very crazy head, but when I wrote my dissertation I had only a working title until the day I submitted it.

Also think you may need to define natural.. a drainpipe wouldn't fit my thinking there?

(or is it me having the senior moment, i do seem to have rather a lot of those these days)

I would def define what you mean by natural as I would not think of drainpipes, tyre etc as natural.... they are manufactured....

Maybe something along the lines of manufactured toys and everyday objects.... looking at the creativity of children's play using bought toys or a range of evryday objects...

Hope that helps.

Good Luck with the presentation.

Lorna

Just to be irritating ( :o ) - IS a tyre not natural?? They are made of rubber, a NATURAL material, and I'm rather allergic to them...(a good excuse not to have anything to do with them at all!! Ho HO)

Like I said, no help, but a thought....

I should add here, that I'm allergic to latex - epipen.

Sorry I'm not going to be much help but I would provide both types of resources together, to observe and define, childrens choice, because if the child has chosen the resource then it is most probably going to affect their length of participation with it. I would also like to know what draws a child to a resource, the sensory factors such as touch & smell (most likely with natural resources) or the visual and auditory senses of bright colours, shapes, electonic noises, etc most associated with plastic manufactured resources.

I would try and find resources that have similar properties, and do similar things within each catagory to 'balance' the argument.

ie: a totally wooden wheel alongside a plastic, say lego wheel.

With the above comparison study i'd opt for the title:

"one setting's experiences of how plastic and natural materials affect childrens' involvement levels"

If of course you are not looking at actual defined learning potential, and just involvement.

I agree with others that the term 'natural' needs a clear definition.

Best of luck for Friday.

Peggy

Well, I've voted!!

Do let us know :

1) the results of the plastics v natural debate in your setting

2) the results of the poll

and

3) the result of the project!!!!! As in, your result! ( - although I guess you will anyway :o )

really upset the apple cart now havnt i - and after such a good day :(

Research is done observations with the children using plastic equiptment toys eg plastic seesaw, cars etc.

then only the tyres, stones, sticks, leaves pipes etc were put out for 2 months then children observed again

results on a small cohort of children revealed involvement levels, interactions between staff and peers all excelled along with ELGS.....

i just need to know what to call the study!!!!!! xD

I would put a spanner in the works too and say that unless you are comparing like for like then this isn't actually a comparative study about plastics vs natural but something else entirely......... :o (Sorry!)

With the above comparison study i'd opt for the title:

"one setting's experiences of how plastic and natural materials affect childrens' involvement levels"

Peggy: you are truly a woman of discernment and intellect!

Hali: you can guess which one I voted for xD but I also liked the last one very much :o

I would put a spanner in the works too and say that unless you are comparing like for like then this isn't actually a comparative study about plastics vs natural but something else entirely......... xD (Sorry!)

Beau strikes again :o You haven't put a spanner in the works - you've just given her something meaty to evaluate! That's the beauty of this kind of research project: the reflection on whether things went according to plan (or not) is as important as being able to analyse the results.

Come out from under that duvet, hali: you'll be fine....

Maz

Not really sure what to vote with your title, as someone else has commented that drainpipes etc. wouldn't be classed as natural.

My setting uses only natural play things (as in anything organic... stones, wool, wood....) and there are very definite reasons for this. If you would like to ask any questions about our setting then feel free to pm me.

:o

I vote for Posys suggestion!! (With credit going to Susan too. xD )

All done and dusted now - well the presentation is out of the way. I'm not in Hali's research study group but I understand she carried the day with her usual aplomb!

I'll leave her to tell you which title she chose in the end :o

Maz