Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gun Play In The Early

janefleet

Hi all

I'm really after some opinions regarding gun play, like

do you allow it in your setting? Is it ignored, banned, discussed etc?

how are children in your setting relating to guns, is it making them more aggressive, changing behaviour etc.

Many Thanks

Jane

Hi Jane

Since we have started using the new eyfs we had a couple of weeks just spending time with the children observing - we have alwys allowed children to create guns out of stickle bricks, paper lasers and junk obviously, but we have tried to encourage them to create something else. However, as all of our observations have told us that this topic ie "gun play, Super Hero" is really what they are doing, last night I found past forum which have discussed this. I managed to download "Engaging boys in the Early Years" by islington - and also read other ideas on how to bring in all areas of learning into their super hero gun play.

To find past forum discussions search for "superhero" and you will find loads of stuff.

Dot :o

We are very male dominated at the moment and inevitably a lot of the play revolves around superheroes and weaponry. We don't provide pretend guns, and the children make them out of whatever is to hand. We recently discussed this at our staff inset day, and there were clearly lots of different opinions about how we should manage this play. We decided to draw up a policy so that parents understand our position, and how we will manage this play. We are going to do a questionnaire, and discuss it at the next meeting. In the meantime, we agreed to manage it as follows:-

• Closely observe children as they play to ensure that no-one is getting hurt
  • Explore with all children any individual's fears about this kind of play
  • Engage with children's superhero games rather than disapproving from the sidelines
  • Discuss the nature of heroes/villains and ideas about good/bad

We have identified one or two boys who get quite bothered about this kind of play, so we do keep an eye on them to make sure that they are happy to be involved and if they feel uncomfortable we can intervene to help the others understand why they might not want to be recruited as 'baddies'.

Will have a look at the publications suggested - the Islington case studies and the 'engaging boys' booklet are both excellent for making you think about boys and their needs in a different way.

Maz

Hi Jane, have you done a forum search? Go to top right of screen "search forum posts". This topic has been discussed before at length with further links and various opinions.

Are you raising this topic for study purposes or for considerations for your own setting?

Peggy

Hi Jane, have you done a forum search? Go to top right of screen "search forum posts". This topic has been discussed before at length with further links and various opinions.

Are you raising this topic for study purposes or for considerations for your own setting?

Peggy

Hi Peggy, thanx for the info, i'm currently raising this topic as part of a research project for a foundation degree, which is due in Friday so although I have alot on this subject already i was really raising it to gain any additional opinions I could slot in but it has raised a few questions witin the work environment and our handling of this issue, so it's all good.

Jane

Hi Peggy, thanx for the info, i'm currently raising this topic as part of a research project for a foundation degree, which is due in Friday so although I have alot on this subject already i was really raising it to gain any additional opinions I could slot in but it has raised a few questions witin the work environment and our handling of this issue, so it's all good.

Jane

Hi Maz, Brilliant reply, just what I was looking for

Thanx

Jane

Found this, haen't read it so might be of no use at all (sorry if it isn't!!):

http://www.richlearningopportunities.co.uk...20need%20it.pdf

Very helpful indeed, Shiny - have downloaded the article for staff to read to help the consultation process!

Maz (of course I know I wasn't the targeted audience, but thanks anyway!) :o

Edited by HappyMaz

myself and deputy allow but sometimes i hear staff telling children not too - need to address this soon........ just keep loosing time!!!!!! - think we will draw up a policy too!!!!!!! :o