Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Feeding Babies

Hi

I would like to know how other nurseries deal with using expressed breast milk, my students have been told not to test the milk on their wrist as we would normally for formula but were not given suggestions on how we can ensure the milk is a safe temperature. I understand that it is a bodily fluid and I guess that comes with potential risks!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Not something I have come across before so cant really help. I would say though that if its put onto skin that has no open wounds, cuts, grazes etc then it would be alright?

OOh not though about that one in my settings we have just tested it on the wrist as normal as Rea said i would have thought the risk of infection from breast milk is minimal anyway but if there are no cuts or wounds would think you where ok. The only other way I could think of round it is to have a heat probe fully sterilised to probe the temp but this would not really be practical look forward to hearing any suggestions for this interesting question

P.S Sorry forgot to say hello and welcome to the forum

And the prize for most interesting first post goes to..... :o

Welcome to the Forum! I work in pre-school so its not something we really have to deal with - but I'll be interested to see what others have to say!

Maz

I have dredged my mind back to my HIV and Hep C training and can't remember this being specifically mentioned. However, what I do remember is that the main route of infection is blood to blood. Other bodily fluids have lesser amounts of the infection carried in them and need greater quantities to pose a risk. Breast milk has the lowest risk factor of all bodily fluids basically because you would need a very large quantity of it to expose yourself to any infection. Therefore I would conclude that providing sensible precautions are in place - ie the person has checked they have no open wounds on this part of their body and it is washed straight off - that this would be acceptable. However, don't go by hearsay - contact someone at the department of health who would be able to give you sound advice. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)