Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hatching Chicks

Hi,

I was wondering if you could help? We are having some fertile eggs delivered next week and I'm just starting the planning for the topic. I have some ideas e.g. making a diary, weighing and measuring the chicks etc. but not really that many ideas for activities about the eggs! Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nicola

but not really that many ideas for activities about the eggs! Any ideas?

Egg and cress sandwiches :o Sorry!

How about looking at other animals that hatch from eggs? You could do egg painting/rolling/blowing etc.

What is happening to them once they've hatched? Perhaps there's something about finding out what conditions they need to live in etc? After all, the egg provides everything the growing chick needs until it hatches (well apart from the warmth!) but what will it need once hatched? And then when it grows up and is big enough to move on?

Sorry - not a lot of help but like Hali I'd like to do this. However in pre-school its a little more difficult - we couldn't risk leaving them out of the cupboard overnight, etc, etc. Love to see pictures when they hatch though!

Maz

A time line with a movable indicator so the children can understand the time scan and when to expect feathered friends.From experience you also have to prepare the children for not all the eggs hatching successfully if at all :o We had a deformed chick hatch and had to 'deal' with it when the children had gone home. xD and we had eggs that didn't hatch whcih is normal

Our LEA used to have incubators you could borrowed.You need to time the arrival for maxium effect, check expected date is on a Tuesday/Wednesday and not in a school holiday or weekend.List of possible names.Related stories.

Did you get an incubator Nicola? Where did you get them from as a matter of interest?

We got an incubator from Insect Lore. The chicks will be going to one of the families at school who have a chicken farm.

When we got our eggs they started hatching the following day so not mch time for egg activities. We have cracked eggs before [obviously unfertilized ones] and looked at what's inside then cooked it in the microwave to see what happens to it.

Just had to add we had an exciting week last week. A rather dozy blackbird chose to build her nest about 3 yards away from our sandpit, just round a corner where the children like to play hidey It was also just at child height as it was built on the cross structure of a pallet we had placed there that the sand had been delivered on. She has lain three eggs in total, and the children have been superb, but I fear the noise may be too much for the bird and we have't seen her laying much the last few days. So the eggs may not come to anything but its still a lovely learning point We're doing Goodnight owl next week now

we hatched chicks at pre school last year, the children didn't see them hatch as they decided to make an entrance to the world late at night!! (only 2 out of 6 hatched) but the children were fasicnated by them and supprisingly quiet around the incubator!! when they were a day old they were transported to a large seethrough plastic tub with heat lamp over the top the children experienced feeding them and taking pictures of them as they grew, we based our topic on growth and concentrated on chicks and frogs (a child brought some frogspawn into the setting) our chicks grew and now live in my garden, i take pictures of them to show the children and we use the eggs in our baking!!

Hi,

borrowed incubator from a parent, fertile eggs were donated. We have 5 eggs and two weeks to go. First time we do this in our preschool, so very exciting and worrying (will they hatch and when) for everyone. Unfortunately eggs should hatch on a Friday as it took as three days to get the incubator at the right temperature. Fingers crossed!

Children are watching them and we have invited the Reception class to join us.

Will let you know how it goes.

Has anyone done Risk Assessment for handling chicks?

Cinnabar

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)