Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Little Moan

fizzy

Feel sooooo fed up!

We as a setting have worked so hard to get our planning right, we do it daily all take a turns, it links in to the childrens intrests and next steps. we all felt quite proud of it.

we have a long term plan, but decided no medium term one. we felt if we were linking it directly to the childrens intrests and needs we wouldnt need one. Have just been told today we need one! I no if i do one no one will look at it as we are concentrating on the individual child. I feel it will be a waste of time and i will only be doing it for 1 reason and 1 reason only MRS O!

We were also recently told on b23 training you dont need planning if your environment is carefully planned!

our mid term plan has our adult led activities on it, things which we feel as adults could benefit the children but are not necessarily things they would initially be interested in or things we could observe directly. we also have the festivals for the month and any activites we feel could do to go with the festival.

when doing our weekly plan we use observations of the children and pick one of the activities from the mid term plan.

our mid term plan is an ongoing document it is added to throughout the month and there is no pressure to use ideas from it.

who said you have to do it.... or is it just until we start EYFS

Our LEA said dont do it, no need and it is not necessary and a waste of time and paper!! (and lots of other reasons why not such as said it is not following the children)

Inge

Makes me wonder why we are all having this training with two very conflicting and different messages going out.

Did not see any Meduim plans in EYFS planning on CD , or did I miss something?

Inge

Hi fizz!

Well, how about -

smile sweetly, look interested (even if only vaguely) .....then have all sorts of mini-crises, so suddenly it's September - WHAM!!! the children matter now .....

Or something to that effect - or am I being no help at all?

Sue :o

Just my point of view but....

I'm sure this lady that comes in has probably got the word 'advisory' somewhere in her title, and that is exactly how i would take it... as advice!!

I'm a little biased as have had a bad experience with our previous early years advisory teacher, we changed our whole planning system on her advice and then received an inadequate grade in the Ofsted inspection two months later.

Out of interest i showed the inspector our previous planning methods during her feedback and asked how we would have faired if still using it... "absolutely fine" she said and even put on the report that we should revert back to it immediately!!

I must say our present EYAT is fantastic :o

In my early teens, when school was becoming a bother in various ways, my dad told me to 'always be polite, look like you're listening, but dont talke any notice of what the person (usually head teacher) was saying'.

I used the same method when a HV told me I should give my son sprouts!

It really works as a stress inhibitor.

I too would advocate what everyone else is saying! Just because they are 'advisor's' doesn't actually mean that what they are suggesting is right. If as a team you don't feel it is appropriate take a deep breath, smile sweetly but then carry on as before. If necessary tell her you have discussed her suggestions as a team and feel that you would rather continue as you are for the time being and perhaps review it next year.

Our development worker told us that we had to use the planning format that her and her team had developed - a format that I thought was poorly laid out and unworkable in practice - needless to say we never did adopt it but stuck to our own.............. :o