Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Should I Be Grouping For Adult Led Activities?

Please can anyone help. When I do adult led/ focussed activities, should I be putting my Nursery children into ability groups to work with me or should I be differentiating through questionning and outcome as I am doing now? I am getting conflicting advice from colleagues at school and wondered what anyone on here would say- I just want to do the right thing but worry about grouping young children so early on- doesn't seem right to me, but at the same time, I want to be sure they are stretched and not underacheiveing.

Thanks anyone.

Guest budgie1

HI There,

We group for some adult led activities depending on abilites and interests. The groups are quite fluid and change regularly as children develop at different rates. We have found that we can stretch the children that little bit further if they are of a similar ability ( at that time) Likewise we can add extra support and more experiences to those that need it. It seems to work for us. :o

We generally have keyperson groups, we then know our key children, and they are mixed ability groups so that children learn from their peers, and the more knowledgeable children gain in self-confidence. This is for a short circle group time of up to 6 children.

I don't like ability grouping in nursery, as Deb said, if you take away the more able peers from the group, the others don't have any 'model's. Sometimes I give do other activities for the more able children the same way I might give additional support to less able children.

I'm with mundia on this.I don't agree with ability groups in nursery.We have a daily adult led activity but it is free choice (unless mothers day cards etc) as are all activities. W have a carpet time that all children are expected to join (well at least sit down).This is supported by 2 adults.We do have target groups for colour/number rec ect from assessements and observations.The groups are on laminated cards so that if an adult gets involved with something beneficial they can 'encourage' certain children so join in.

Hi

We do have fluid ability groups as well - we take children 2 year 6 months - 4+ and find that to meet all the childrens needs they need have activities aimed at there needs. If i have the 2 years 6 with my big confident 4's , the 4's take over as they are so confident and know everything!!!!! (or think so), by splitting they all have a chance to develop.

I can also taylor activities to concentration and indiviual needs - lots of busy, activities for the littles and still active but the bigger get activities for deeper thinking and working out.

I'm with mundia on this.I don't agree with ability groups in nursery.We have a daily adult led activity but it is free choice (unless mothers day cards etc) as are all activities. W have a carpet time that all children are expected to join (well at least sit down).This is supported by 2 adults.We do have target groups for colour/number rec ect from assessements and observations.The groups are on laminated cards so that if an adult gets involved with something beneficial they can 'encourage' certain children so join in.

Biccy, your set up sounds very similar to the way we work.

Also not keen on ability groups

we work similar to Biccy with short group times for all at beginning and sometime usually end of session and free access to other activities adults know who to target from our observations, and activities set up from their interests to encourage them.. Often find an adult activity is well supported by the children and most join in at some time during the session.. don't have keyworker group time or other set small group times. Adults have become very adept at changing to suit the childrens needs at very short notice .. but this is helped by a very skilled and experienced team who have worked together for a while...

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)