Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supervisions

hello I have just taken over a nursery and wondered if anyone could advise me on what to ask when I do termly supervisions thank you

killowengirl :o

hello I have just taken over a nursery and wondered if anyone could advise me on what to ask when I do termly supervisions thank you

killowengirl :o

Why are you doing the supervision sessions, killowengirl?

If it is from the supporting practitioners viewpoint, then I'd be asking some basic questions about how things are going, are there any problems/difficulties, any areas they are unsure of, etc. This would be a starting point - I'm sure they'll have their own things to raise...

I'm not sure sure if anyone on here has a more formal format they follow - but I'd be interested to hear their replies because this is something I'm looking to set up this term...

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

Our supervision form is a sheet of A4 divided into three boxes.

The first box is for managers comment, in which i write about the staff's performance over the past month. This is a great opportunity to give praise for a job well done but also a chance to deal with any issues that have arisen. This bit i generally just read out to staff and gain their comments afterwards (these can be recorded in the second box which is for employees comments)

The third box is aims and objectives for next month, i normally add about two myself and we decide on another one together.

So i dont really ask questions, more an opprtunity to have a quick chat (Although i do ask if they have any current training needs)

I have a policy / procedure for this at work, so if i remember will upload it tonight when i get home.

I devised my own format which I will try to find to attach....

basically you can personalise it to your setting and what you want to identify in your team..for example I know I asked about planning and whether the staff thought they were involved enough, also the more general termly things like 'do you feel happy in your job, if not why not?

Is there any training you feel you need at the moment?

It is difficult to try to differentiate it from the appraisal but I made mine quite succint and only took ten minutes with each staff member with notes and signatures from both of us and of course a review date.

It is like all these things it's finding the time to carry out supervisions :oxD

i call mine one to ones and i use it as an informal chat to check everything is ok. usually and hopefully any major probelms are brought to me starightaway - one to ones usually just bring up niggles or a little chat! :oxD

Absolutely my understanding Hali :o

Just to add appraisals should be 100% positive, so any niggly problems should be dealt with through supervisions, appraisals can be held off until you feel you can genuinely give a positive one.

My understanding too - as Lucy says - iron out all the creases in the supervision in preparation for your appraisal, I use the supervision notes to gauge the appraisal timing, sometimes I may need an extra week or so to appraise - (talk through any niggles and give staff a boost who may have other stuff going on either at home or work, it is a good way to build and forge relationships between you and your team) :o

I didn't check properly what document i was bringing home earlier, now home have realised that somehow i only saved half the policy :o

So the first half is attached here, and i will include the second half tomorrow!

Hi, Lucy. Thanks for first half - did you manage to find the second part or have I lost the thread somewhere? Just implementing "part appraisals" (staff groaned) but prefer the wording "supervision meeting." Good to set short-term targets, eg. Try not to be distracted by other adults when supervising the children on the climbing frame!

mANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. WE HAVE 11 MEMBERS OF STAFF, SO HAVE DECIDED TO "DO" ONE ANNUAL APPRAISAL EACH MONTH. NOT WORKED OUT THE SUMS AS TO HOW OFTEN TO DO SUPERVISION SESSIONS, BUT STARTING TO SEE MY "PLAYING" TIME DIMINISHING EVEN FURTHER, WITH GROANS OF, "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE COS YOU'RE NOT IN WITH THE CHILDREN!" (FROM STAFF). OH, WHAT FUN. I DO IT FOR THE MONEY!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)